Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The war on drugs. Dublin May 29 2014

Options
  • 17-12-2013 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

On sale Wednesday December 18.
    The war on drugs will be playing the Button factory on May 29 next year.
    They were excellent in whelans a few years ago. New album due in March

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Never been to a gig in the button factory before. Will this sell out do you reckon? Won't know for sure if I'll be around the week of that gig yet. Big War On Drugs fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Morrison J wrote: »
    Never been to a gig in the button factory before. Will this sell out do you reckon? Won't know for sure if I'll be around the week of that gig yet. Big War On Drugs fan!

It depends on how well the new album does, so wont know for a few months. The button factory is around twice capacity of whelans and a much better venue as it has a higher stage no restricted views. Sound system is excellent and door staff are fairly sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Well, I guess we know now, Lost in the Dream is gaining Rave reviews as have their live shows!

The Button Factory sold out, but due to such demand the gig has been moved to Vicar St!

I'd pick a ticket up soon! As these guys are bound to sell out again!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Fecking class, went to get a ticket on the very day it sold out! Seems like a few gigs are getting relocated to Vicar St. this year

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

I just got a ticket there. Very happy.

• Advertisement

I just got a ticket there. Very happy.

Same! Delighted now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Just introduced to the music of this band 2 weeks ago. Never heard of them before. Bought new album last week. It's early days yet, but I think it is one of the greatest albums I have ever heard - at least it's been a long time since I have been as excited about new music as I was after about 3 listens of the new album. No real filler. One instrumental in the second half of the album, but the album kinda feels like it needs it just for the listener to catch their breath.

Anyway, haven't bought a ticket for the gig yet. But hope to do so today if they are still on sale. And €20!!. A steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Reeno78

Is there a support act for this, and any idea of stage times? Driving from Cork for this.

Just introduced to the music of this band 2 weeks ago. Never heard of them before. Bought new album last week. It's early days yet, but I think it is one of the greatest albums I have ever heard - at least it's been a long time since I have been as excited about new music as I was after about 3 listens of the new album. No real filler. One instrumental in the second half of the album, but the album kinda feels like it needs it just for the listener to catch their breath.

Anyway, haven't bought a ticket for the gig yet. But hope to do so today if they are still on sale. And €20!!. A steal.

I agree with that flasher, Lost in the Dream is the best album I have heard in a long long time! Hopefully their live show is every bit as good!

There are still some tickets available on Ticketmaster! At €20 it's an absolute steal!

Pick one up soon!

Reeno78 wrote: »
    Is there a support act for this, and any idea of stage times? Driving from Cork for this.

The support band are "Women's Christmas", I know absolutely nothing about them, other than it's the worst band name since "The War on Drugs" hehehe.

Not too sure of stage times.....

Doors are at 7:30pm

so I reckon, although I am not sure!...........

Women's Christmas - 8pm

The War On Drugs - 9pm

Thanks RG, just trying to make sure we get up for start of War on Drugs.

We have 2 spare tickets, I know its not sold out, so will let them go for 15 each if anyone's looking.
    We should be at the venue by 8pm.

• Advertisement

Thanks RG, just trying to make sure we get up for start of War on Drugs.

We have 2 spare tickets, I know its not sold out, so will let them go for 15 each if anyone's looking.
    We should be at the venue by 8pm.

You should try sell your tickets here Reeno......

http://www.toutless.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20126

There was a lot of demand for tickets up until lately,
    But at that price I'd imagine they will be snapped up very quick!

Good Luck with the sale!

If your there by 8pm, I'd imagine you'll catch most of the support band and certainly all of The War On Drugs set!

I haven't been this excited about a gig in a long time!
    Enjoy Everybody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

This post made me check out these guys, I'm a big Kurt Vile fan but never gave the War on Drugs a listen. Really enjoying Lost in the Dream. Very tempted now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

From Aiken on Twitter

Aiken Promotions ‏@aikenpromotions · 2h
    The War on Drugs are live at @Vicar_Street TOMORROW! Stage Times: Womens Christmas 8.30pm // The War on Drugs 9.20pm

That's great Matt, Cheers.

Anyone know if tickets can be bought at the gig itself – other than touts. I guess I can call Vicar St and they may be able to tell me.
    Or this could be a gig where tickets may be available from touts – due to it being upgraded from a smaller capacity.
    Can’t get access to Ticketmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

Anyone know if tickets can be bought at the gig itself – other than touts. I guess I can call Vicar St and they may be able to tell me.
    Or this could be a gig where tickets may be available from touts – due to it being upgraded from a smaller capacity.
    Can’t get access to Ticketmaster.

http://www.toutless.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20126

Cheers for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

I really, really enjoyed this. They played for close on two hours without a break. They're not the kind of band who put on a massive stage show, they just play, they're not the kind of band where there's a massive crowd involvement at gigs, the crowd largely just stood and nodded in time, but the music speaks for itself - I found it completely hypnotic. There's a depth to their music and their sound that marks them out as something special - for my money the best band in the world right now. €20 in the best value you'll get anywhere for any gig this year.

I thought the bit where they mixed "Your Love Is Calling My Name" into "Come To The City" was amazing.

Ya, pretty amazing alright. What an incredible start to a gig. The first 6/7 songs – what seemed like their big songs, thrashed out at the beginning. I was thinking where could it go from here. I don’t really know their back catalogue yet (definitely something I will be investing in immediately). Due to that, I found there was a bit of a lull at times, but I put that down to myself not knowing the material. There was one guy in the middle of the crowd (white t-shirt) who was giving it socks for the whole gig – looked like it was the best night of his life.

Adam loosened up with the crowd after a while. Nice touch that his father was in the crowd (presume he wasn’t joking). As Sid above said - €20, best value. I picked up a ticket there. Standing. No problem getting tickets.

Looking forward to getting into the other albums (other than Lost in a dream). Cheated a bit during the week, and looked up setlist so that I could listen to a couple of songs they would play – come to the city, baby missiles, Arms Like Boulders and a few others. Can’t wait to get the other 2 albums.

Band were in their element rocking out. Thought they looked pretty uncomfortable during the slow number, Suffering. Kinda swaying along to the music.
    Cool lead singer too. Bit of an Eddie Vedder about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

There was one guy in the middle of the crowd (white t-shirt) who was giving it socks for the whole gig – looked like it was the best night of his life.

I was standing beside this lad. Thought he might be a buzz killer at the start but he managed to stay the right side of annoying!

Great gig, a few sound issues in the first half though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

I was kind of disappointed with the gig. It was a little flat or something, very low energy by the band and crowd.

The sound wasn't great either which in my experience is a little unusual for Vicar Str. I couldn't make the trumpet out in the mix until the very end.

I love the band on record (so to speak) but not that taken by them live based on last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Sound was woeful for at least first hour, as previous poster said most unusual for Vicar St. Worst sounding gig Ive been to in that venue. Enjoyed the show though, killer poster at merch stand.

Edit - thumbs up for the crowd, everybody very well behaved, some good music heads at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

dots03 wrote: »
    I was kind of disappointed with the gig. It was a little flat or something, very low energy by the band and crowd.

The sound wasn't great either which in my experience is a little unusual for Vicar Str. I couldn't make the trumpet out in the mix until the very end.

I love the band on record (so to speak) but not that taken by them live based on last night.

I enjoyed there album, saw them in Whelans. Found the band incredibly boring and left early.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭mruser2014

Great gig but I thought the guy on the mixing desk had a disaster.

Serious issue with the vocals and added reverb for pretty much the whole gig. Adam then announced, "after 1 hour and 40 minutes, he finally fixes the vocals".

People around me were giving out. Everyone could hear it but the mixing guy.

That is really bad from Vicar Street. Although, I am not surprised as some of these mixing guys don't seem to have much of an ear for sound.

Also you could barely here to Saxophone for the first half of the gig.

Real shame. Not good enough really.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Gig was good but sound was definitely pretty bad. Still enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

gig was fantastic, but ya, the sound was iffy at times-there's a keyboard riff on 'burning' that kinda is the rhythm of the song, which was completely inaudible from where i was standing, at least. Still, keyboard and sax/trumpet sound issues aside, the whole thing was just lovely!!!!

Good gig, very wholesome and satisfying setlist - surprisingly long too. Felt the drowned out synth and trumpet really hampered that layered sound they have in their studio work and made it sound too guitar-driven.
    Crowd was a bit dull too. I know some of the songs were as slow-paced as you get but even for the livelier numbers there was nothing going on, bit of a buzzkill.

Nice bit of merch on sale (dat Dublin-exclusive print) but had to leg it soon as it ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Had great fun at it but I agree something was very off with the sound...only my second time in Vicar and it really disappointed considering how good the first time was! Still think it's a lovely venue and judging by the comments the sound problem was a once off.

Advertisement