Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Pay

Options
  • 17-12-2013 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Have been working in a shop/newsagent now for over 6 months on minimum wage but the past couple of months have been opening up on Sunday mornings.

It has only come to my attention that people who work Sundays should be paid more then what they are usually paid however we are not.

I was wondering what is the best way to go about sorting this out as I feel this is a serious matter that needs to be addressed.

And bearing in mind that I am a key holder on stand-by I still get no extra at all for this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

What does it say in your contract about working weekends? I often work weekends too (Sat & Sun, not in retail though), but I just get days off in lieu, but it really depends on what your contract states. See also here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/working_week.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Sundaypay wrote: »
    Have been working in a shop/newsagent now for over 6 months on minimum wage but the past couple of months have been opening up on Sunday mornings.

It has only come to my attention that people who work Sundays should be paid more then what they are usually paid however we are not.

I was wondering what is the best way to go about sorting this out as I feel this is a serious matter that needs to be addressed.

And bearing in mind that I am a key holder on stand-by I still get no extra at all for this.

Thanks.

There is no automatic entitlement to a Sunday allowance. There used to be one for certain jobs as part of JLC agreements but they no longer exist.

Only way you will be entitled to a Sunday premium is if you have it in your contract. It may even be that some employees get it and others dont.

Regarding the keyholder issue, it is normal for most people in retail, especially in smaller stores where there are not many staff. Again you are not entitled to anything for this unless it is in your contract although you should be given the time back in Lieu if you are called out for an alarm activation.

Likewise , you could argue that you dont have to do they keyholding if it is not part of your contract / job description however if you are still under probation I would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'd have to double check my contract but am quite sure that there's no mention of Sunday pay in it.

Regarding the key holder issue, there is nothing in my contract that states this. I just had the keys handed to me one day. I have never been comfortable doing this for a couple of reasons but mostly because I'm not paid any extra for it.

I don't intend on staying there much longer so fingers crossed I find something else after the New Year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

It's easy to get out of being a keyholder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

There is no defined Sunday premium like the used to be but the is a requirement for people to receive a Sunday supplement that is defined as being reasonable. What we do is pay everyone above the minimum wage for any hours they work and provide a meal for every shift they work and this is in everybody's contract as their Sunday supplement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement