Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's a storm a' comin'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

blue skies now with white puffy clouds. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Passed through salthill an hour ago, sea weed everywhere but being cleaned up by council.

No sign of flooding anywhere but cars being towed away from car-park.

Otherwise it looks like nothing happened..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

buzz11 wrote: »
    Passed through salthill an hour ago, sea weed everywhere but being cleaned up by council.
    No sign of flooding anywhere but cars being towed away from car-park.
    Otherwise it looks like nothing happened..

the council were on site at 7pm last night cleaning up so full credit for the impression that "it looks like nothing happened" goes to the hard work of those lads

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I was down that way this morning. Two friends' cars may be write-offs due to storm damage. There wasn't a lot we could do.

I was in the vicinity yesterday evening for social reasons and when I realised the severity of the storm I ran inside the Aquarium and Arabica to warn people who might have their cars parked in or near Toft Park that there was an immediate danger of flooding.

When I first arrived I saw waves dashing over the Prom and flooding was beginning to occur, but a very short time later I realised that there was a huge swell coming over, perhaps a metre or more higher than the rocks. It was obvious then that the whole area was going to be flooded in a matter of minutes. People whose cars were parked outside didn't seem to realise what they were facing.

The vehicles below were washed up onto the footpath. You can see the way they have been lined up by the force of the waves. Their front ends are heavier and their back ends more buoyant, which is why they've been thrown together side-by-side. The same thing happened to the van in the background. I reckon at least twenty vehicles were flood-damaged, and are probably write offs. The photos posted earlier show more vehicles parked behind the Aquarium. I didn't think to look there, so the total number of damaged vehicles may be much higher.

285256.jpg

i just heard there is another 'red alert' for tomorrow - is this a rumor or true does anyone know. If so I think they should block the entrance to this carpark just in case there are still people that do not know that it floods at the mere thought of a heavy rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Keep an eye on the Weather forum and Met

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This better have calmed down by Monday. My sister is flying in to Knock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Malcolm.

Very stormy in Salthill last night, I hear there is another bad storm coming on St. Stephens day ? any truth to this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Malcolm. wrote: »
    Very stormy in Salthill last night, I hear there is another bad storm coming on St. Stephens day ? any truth to this ?

Let me consult my crystal ball...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

i just heard there is another 'red alert' for tomorrow - is this a rumor or true does anyone know.

There is a Orange alert in effect for from 9am to 11.59 PM tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Flying home Saturday.. hope it will have settled.

Much snow in Galway today?

syklops wrote: »
    Let me consult my crystal ball...

Thanks mystic meg. Alternatively one of posters into the weatherforecasting forum, who were also posting here, might be able to enlighten us with a more scientific forecasting model. They sucessfully forecast last nights storm 10 days ago. Very handy it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

i just heard there is another 'red alert' for tomorrow - is this a rumor or true does anyone know. If so I think they should block the entrance to this carpark just in case there are still people that do not know that it floods at the mere thought of a heavy rain.

Nah, leave it.

It's called natural selection: anyone who parked there given the weather warnings in place is best off not behind the wheel.

Thanks mystic meg. Alternatively one of posters into the weatherforecasting forum, who were also posting here, might be able to enlighten us with a more scientific forecasting model. They sucessfully forecast last nights storm 10 days ago. Very handy it was.

They said there was going to be a code red storm 10 days ago? News to me.

You have a point there. Not only was the car park flooded, but the sea swept away cars on the Prom and damaged others around the Aquarium. As I drove there yesterday evening I heard the road had been closed between Seapoint and Grattan Road, but maybe the whole area should have been closed off much earlier? I don't know -- hindsight is 20/20 vision etc. A number of the car owners were foreign nationals and relatively recent 'blow-ins', so they may not have realised what was in store. I heard one person quote a Garda as saying that a storm so severe hadn't been seen in 25 years. The car park has been flooded previously, but afaicr vehicles have not been washed away like that before.

More pics below. Several vehicles had windows broken by the force of the water. All of them were flooded though. The water drained out of the car-park on its own. There was no pumping afaik, though the Council did a fine job of cleaning up the debris. My impression is that the footpath along the Prom has been damaged; I saw large cracks opposite the Aquarium that I thought were new.

285262.jpg

285263.jpg

285261.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

Met Eireann have issued Orange alert for tomorrow, although Finnegan did say this morning that a Red Alert is in operation for tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Meh that land was all taken from the sea. She's just reclaiming it back
    xX4OaYdl.jpg?1

snubbleste wrote: »
    Meh that land was all taken from the sea. She's just reclaiming it back

One rock at a time...

285265.jpg

They did not give the code colour, they did predict a storm. Check your crystal ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

St Stephen's Day is too far away to know for sure I think - weather is unpredictable.
    Flooding like that has happened at least twice before in recent years I think. Maybe someone who lives in Salthill remembers better.

• Advertisement

Check your crystal ball.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Flooding has definetly happened twice I can remember in recent years, in Toft Park. I recall it flooding in 2008 (http://www.johnsmyth.net/Galway-City/Spanish-Arch/3932681_HJzNW2/264290184_xtDKSZJ#!i=264279872&k=nkBDGkT) Same year as the floods in Claregalway.

and this is Toft Park from boards.ie in 2011 https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/41275/146557.JPG

Much flooding on Flood Street or Spanish Arch? Lived there a few years back and missed when the water came up and flooded the Tamarind and the area around.

Big mess tho for the council to clear up in Salthill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Start watching the farming forecast on Sunday afternoons.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Start watching the farming forecast on Sunday afternoons.

Might do that. No offence to any metrologists out there meant. I just find Malcolms abrasive posting style, well, abrasive.

Nah, leave it.

It's called natural selection: anyone who parked there given the weather warnings in place is best off not behind the wheel.

they might be out of town for a couple of days, and didn't realise the storm was coming. Or they could have been visitors to the town, and didn't realise the storm would flood that particular car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

thunder and lightning out West, it's as dark as night out here...

Not very nice...:o

On the topic of flooding - would it be hard to put up a sign saying something like 'please note this carpark or section along the prom is liable to flooding in severe weather, please be aware of this?' Might save a good few people some headaches...

galah wrote: »

Lucky ba$tard.

galah wrote: »

Not very nice...:o

On the topic of flooding - would it be hard to put up a sign saying something like 'please note this carpark or section along the prom is liable to flooding in severe weather, please be aware of this?' Might save a good few people some headaches...

yes, it's pitch black where I am now and I can hear the rumble of thunder coming in - what weird weather. Weird, but exciting tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Just saw pictures from last night in Silver Strand. Sections of the path are in the middle of the carpark, and the lifeguard hut is back near the toilets.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Fey! wrote: »
    Just saw pictures from last night in Silver Strand. Sections of the path are in the middle of the carpark, and the lifeguard hut is back near the toilets.
    Are you sure that's from the weather? :cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement