Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's a storm a' comin'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Nah, leave it.

It's called natural selection: anyone who parked there given the weather warnings in place is best off not behind the wheel.

It may be, but at the end of the day it pushes everyones insurance costs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Met Eireann have posted an amber warning for the South, West and North tomorrow, winds will gust to 130 kmh, you could not rule out higher gusts depending on the storm track. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Malcolm.

syklops wrote: »
    Might do that. No offence to any metrologists out there meant. I just find Malcolms abrasive posting style, well, abrasive.

I'm afraid you're the one that came in here with the abrasive smart arse crystal ball remark when I simply asked what the likely storm forecast was for Christmas in the Galway region. If you're genuinely interested in the weather check out the weather forum and the forecasting there. You might learn something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Malcolm. wrote: »
    I'm afraid you're the one that came in here with the abrasive smart arse crystal ball remark when I simply asked what the likely storm forecast was for Christmas in the Galway region. If you're genuinely interested in the weather check out the weather forum and the forecasting there. You might learn something.

This is a light hearted thread. Im sorry if you found my comment abrasive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I think they should block the entrance to this carpark just in case there are still people that do not know that it floods at the mere thought of a heavy rain.

There was a GCC notice up this afternoon, dated 18th December. I didn't see it in place this morning, but I did notice a Council worker carrying the same sign back from the leeward side of the car-park near the apartments, which suggests it was blown away previously.

The Council were ticketing cars yesterday in that parking area, btw.

285276.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok break it up lads. (not you iwh, the previous posters)

Unfortunately my neighbours gaudy Christmas lights which they leave on all night survived the storm intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Unfortunately my neighbours gaudy Christmas lights which they leave on all night survived the storm intact.

Coal for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Chazzy

More on the way tomorrow according to met eireann!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Flooding has definetly happened twice I can remember in recent years, in Toft Park. I recall it flooding in 2008 (http://www.johnsmyth.net/Galway-City/Spanish-Arch/3932681_HJzNW2/264290184_xtDKSZJ#!i=264279872&k=nkBDGkT) Same year as the floods in Claregalway.

and this is Toft Park from boards.ie in 2011 https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/41275/146557.JPG

Much flooding on Flood Street or Spanish Arch? Lived there a few years back and missed when the water came up and flooded the Tamarind and the area around.

Big mess tho for the council to clear up in Salthill

Flashback! I took that pic of the flooded carpark in 2011, I was living in the apartments near there at the time. I was thanking my lucky stars the water didn't reach the underground car park my car was in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Bit of strong wind in now and hailstones (4.30). Not sure if it's part of the expected storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

Nah, leave it.

It's called natural selection: anyone who parked there given the weather warnings in place is best off not behind the wheel.

Bit harsh!

I hope you don't apply that same logic all the time(as in I'm not going to warn somebody for the purposes of svoiding a potential loss / injury because they should know better) or else you wouldn't be a very nice person!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Patrickheg wrote: »
    Bit harsh!

I hope you don't apply that same logic all the time(as in I'm not going to warn somebody for the purposes of svoiding a potential loss / injury because they should know better) or else you wouldn't be a very nice person!

I agree. I have no doubt though that some people ignored IWH as per his post above when he went inside the aquarium/arabica to warn people. In those cases anyone that ignored helpful warnings - i have no sympathy for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Very stormy out there now
    Anyone kmow if its here for the night ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The weather alert is in place until midnight anyway afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Patrickheg wrote: »
    Bit harsh!

The poster was not suggesting a warning.

They were suggesting totally blocking the car park off.

Anyone who parks in that car park when there is a storm surge warning in place simply should not be driving. Even without warning signs, you just need to look at the area to know that it is at risk of flooding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

anyone around town today? This weather must be damaging Xmas trade. I didn't get anything done today

zarquon wrote: »
    I agree. I have no doubt though that some people ignored IWH as per his post above when he went inside the aquarium/arabica to warn people. In those cases anyone that ignored helpful warnings - i have no sympathy for.

I'm not sure everybody got the message, or realised the imminent risk. It occurred to me later that people working inside the Aquarium and Arabica would not be aware of what was happening outside. Some staff didn't emerge until around 6, I believe, and things were beyond recovery then.

Others were parked immediately outside (not in the municipal car park) and couldn't get their cars away. Those with children had particular difficulty, as they didn't want to expose them to any risk. I know of at least two people who had to wade through water to get to their cars.

That said, today's City Tribune mentions one particular person who has worked in the area for years. I'm surpised that they were caught out by the flooding, as they would have known what happened on previous occasions.

I suspect there were different levels of awareness. Some would have no idea what to expect, others should have known better. Certainly I was shocked by the ferocity of the flood, Red Alert notwithstanding.

Incidentally I do feel sorry for people whose cars were flooded (and destroyed?). Their belongings were also still in the cars: children's clothes, Christmas presents and so on. Can cars be salvaged after being flooded by sea water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

Anyone who parks in that car park when there is a storm surge warning in place simply should not be driving. Even without warning signs, you just need to look at the area to know that it is at risk of flooding.

Even in the black of night?

That's some crappy attitude and it Christmas and all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

some people just don't see the news or weather forecast others just did not realise the weather was going to be so bad and some just may be new to the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I literally only heard about it on here hours beforehand myself and I wouldn't have considered it would flood that carpark to the extent it did. If somebody is home from work after a long day. Would have a lot of sympathy myself as it probably would've happened to me if I lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Anyone who parks in that car park when there is a storm surge warning in place simply should not be driving.

Sweet Jesus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Anyone who parks in that car park when there is a storm surge warning in place

Tt3AUmO.png

I literally only heard about it on here hours beforehand myself and I wouldn't have considered it would flood that carpark to the extent it did. If somebody is home from work after a long day. Would have a lot of sympathy myself as it probably would've happened to me if I lived there.

I heard about the road closure as I drove to Salthill. According to yesterday's City Tribune, Dr Colohan Road was closed around 5pm, which was the time I was scheduled to be there.

Pointless to speculate, perhaps, but what if I was to be there at 4? I might have been tempted to park somewhere and hang around for a while (perhaps to keep the kids happy). If I parked in the 'wrong' spot I might have ended up being flooded too.

I normally use the municipal car park behind the bottle bank. Would I have remembered the 2011 flooding? I'd certainly have heeded a warning notice if there was one in place. Water on the road would also have reminded me PDQ.

There were no warnings posted on the Prom that I am aware of. Certainly there were none when I checked on Thursday morning.

I can understand how some people not familiar with the area might get caught. It's the established Salthill regulars (some of whom were parked there all day) that I wonder about. And the signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

For a nation that talks about the weather obsessively, there's an amazing resistance here to the idea that responsible adults should be expected to think about the consequences of the weather!

I do feel sorry for kids whose presents were ruined inside flooded cars. And even for the adults whose cars were destroyed. But I equally believe that with some education about actions and consequences, and monitoring the environment around you, those folks should not be driving. (See all the other threads here about the things idiot drivers do.)

A driver's licence is not a right, it's something you (should) earn, and carries a number of responsibilities with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very bad right now with a few flashes of lightning, want to keep an eye on the possibility of a very severe storm on Mon/Tue if it comes off the last storm will seem just like a breezy day. Potential for winds up to 170 kmh which would cause damage, keep a check on the weather on boards they have a thread on it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What time is the rain due to go off in Galway, I want to get some shopping done :mad:

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

For a nation that talks about the weather obsessively, there's an amazing resistance here to the idea that responsible adults should be expected to think about the consequences of the weather!

I do feel sorry for kids whose presents were ruined inside flooded cars. And even for the adults whose cars were destroyed. But I equally believe that with some education about actions and consequences, and monitoring the environment around you, those folks should not be driving. (See all the other threads here about the things idiot drivers do.)

A driver's licence is not a right, it's something you (should) earn, and carries a number of responsibilities with it.

That's a hell of a high horse you got Mister, hoping you never fall off :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Whilst I wouldn't approach the level of Mrs O' Grumble :-) there was some truly bonkers behaviour that night.

Just watch the way that drivers closely follow each other through floodwater - if one stops they all get stranded.

Online video clips show people driving through the Salthill floods with waves breaking over the cars.

The parts of Galway that flood do so repeatedly so people should be aware.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement