Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Highlight

Options
  • 18-12-2013 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

This year seems to have flown in. I've had a complete rollercoaster of a year but I think the highlight was cross country in Grange Farm, super spot, really enjoyed it. What was the highlight for you and your horse?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Having the courage to get back up after breaking two ribs in January!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Getting back up after a stay in hospital with a bad concussion after a fall just over 12 months ago now. Jumping the same horse that threw last week. Felt good to have the final bit of fear gone out of me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's not all about rosettes, is it, it's to do with personal goals. I'm very lucky with the gang in our yard, always welcoming and always helpful.

It's not all about rosettes, is it, it's to do with personal goals. I'm very lucky with the gang in our yard, always welcoming and always helpful.

I think its the yard the people & of course our lovely four legged friends that help to make our personal goals possible to achieve.

I think its the yard the people & of course our lovely four legged friends that help to make our personal goals possible to achieve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭treccie

Coming back from a set back or injury takes guts, well done. I agree it's not about rosettes, I only rode in two competitions this year and the placings were not the highlight, the friendship and companionship with my horse was.
    I had a set back too, lost my lovely cob to colic in May and broke my heart, I am still shocked to be back riding and very grateful to a hunky chestnut for getting under my skin and mending my heart. :)

treccie wrote: »
    Coming back from a set back or injury takes guts, well done. I agree it's not about rosettes, I only rode in two competitions this year and the placings were not the highlight, the friendship and companionship with my horse was.
    I had a set back too, lost my lovely cob to colic in May and broke my heart, I am still shocked to be back riding and very grateful to a hunky chestnut for getting under my skin and mending my heart. :)

So sorry to here about your cob trecie. You are right about them getting under your skin. I think horses have a way like know other animals. I dont own my own horse but I have a choice of 3 in the stables that I use. Each is so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I know it's not about rosettes but I think my highlight was finally getting around a course clear on a pony who hadn't been ridden properly in years and who I spent months on get straight and working well :D Yeah, it was only 60cm and yeah, it took a few weeks before it happened but it still did!
    That wasn't even about the rosette but I still got one :P

Supdude, that's not about the winning, it's what you achieved to get there ,well done ye.
    Treccie , sorry to hear about your cob.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭shutterclick

Like others, getting back up after a bad fall that left me with broken ribs and a night in hospital with concussion.
    My confidence is still not 100% but getting there.

• Advertisement

Like others, getting back up after a bad fall that left me with broken ribs and a night in hospital with concussion.
    My confidence is still not 100% but getting there.

It takes time but you will get there eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

I was looking back over my photos from the year and I actually got a little bit emotional about our few days at the Donegal Championships :o hard to beat!
    Bit of an emotional rollarcoaster, but an epic adventure - might be the highlight of anything we've ever done!

The PTV at the Open Championships - Mocha on fire
    977607_10200735061397181_684983749_o.jpg

And getting a great kickstart to Vega's education at the Midlands Trec Camp - we just had a lovely day.

936525_427942697327112_1469772469_n.jpg

Rips wrote: »
    I was looking back over my photos from the year and I actually got a little bit emotional about our few days at the Donegal Championships :o hard to beat!
    Bit of an emotional rollarcoaster, but an epic adventure - might be the highlight of anything we've ever done!
    ]

Part of me feels guilty saying I enjoyed that weekend. It's amazing how your heart can break and at the same time you can learn how many good and true friends you have. Thank you guys for getting me through it xx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

treccie wrote: »
    Part of me feels guilty saying I enjoyed that weekend. It's amazing how your heart can break and at the same time you can learn how many good and true friends you have. Thank you guys for getting me through it xx

What happened, if you don't mind me asking?

sup_dude wrote: »
    What happened, if you don't mind me asking?

My horse took colic at the event and unfortunately didn't make it. I was completely heart broken. The other competitors were so good to me and I asked them to make sure to get on with the weekend and enjoy the competition which they did as best they could and despite the many tears we all shed that day and it the weeks that follow I also have some really lovely memories of that weekend and learned a lot about true friendship. I suppose one of the reasons I grew to love the sport of trec so much is how much the riders and stewards all look out for each other, I got phone calls and cards from people I barely knew saying they were sorry to hear about hunky cob's passing. It's a bittersweet story really because I did love that horse to bits but a few months later one of the trec riders gave me her gorgeous ID gelding on long term loan, he's a very different horse so in no way replaces hunky cob but he's just the nicest character to be around and I'm really looking forward to 2014 with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

For me it was simply finding a lovely mare to share - I have had a tough year, and being back in the saddle 2-3 times a week, with a goal to work towards was really what I needed to pull me out of a hole.

Thanks horsey for being my pick-me-up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Odelay

For me it was buying my first horse, one that is my responsibility. After a long equestrian break I had several on loan for the past three years, none quite suited until my friend lent me her mare. It was love at first sight, I was riding her for 6 months and she had to sell for financial reasons, and I was the prefered buyer as I'd only buy if I could keep her happy and healthy.
    She is able to cope with my lack of ability but she has so much ability that I don't think I'll need a horse with more. Her dam is by a sire I always had time for in my teens, it explains her super temperament.
    I'm so happy with her, still stunned at the healthy, kind, intelligent and athletic mare that is all mine:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

My 2013 highlight was slowly falling in love with a little chestnut mare and discovering that despite being out of the horsey world for 3 years I didn't mind the fact that she comes with her own special bundle of issues...
    Then learning that she will stay in her lovely happy home where I can visit regularly forever, unless I find myself in a position to give her a different but equally happy home was just the cherry on top! :D

Advertisement