Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trading in with CEX?

Options
  • 18-12-2013 3:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have some ps3 and xbox 360 games to trade in, I was just wondering are the prices quoted on their site really what you get for these second hand games?

They seem to be a bit more generous than some if this is the case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

yes but they can change from day to day

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Dard23

I sent in four games and they quoted me a price for them. Sent them waited around three weeks and got one quarter the quoted price into my account. Games were perfect! Leave we'll enough alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Dard23 wrote: »
    I sent in four games and they quoted me a price for them. Sent them waited around three weeks and got one quarter the quoted price into my account. Games were perfect! Leave we'll enough alone!

your own fault
    they have a backlog of games too get through from people sending them in
    you waited 3 weeks, meaning you got the price of the games that were 3 weeks later then your quoted price

go in store on the day and do it, you'll get the prices listed on the website 99% of the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I noticed they sell and accept pre-owned PC games in CEX in Galway. This surprised me as I never saw any other retailer sell second hand PC games before. I was wondering if they test the serial keys for the disks. I have a bundle of disks and boxes but for the life of me I don't know if all the serial keys will work. I have legit copies, but some games like Bioshock only let you install so many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I noticed they sell and accept pre-owned PC games in CEX in Galway. This surprised me as I never saw any other retailer sell second hand PC games before. I was wondering if they test the serial keys for the disks. I have a bundle of disks and boxes but for the life of me I don't know if all the serial keys will work. I have legit copies, but some games like Bioshock only let you install so many times.

Depends

For the likes of "Ruse" which is a game that has a serial key but can only be used once , they won't accept it unless the game itself is in its original packaging

for the likes of "Doom" or "Age of Empires" they will take the keys no problem as they can be used mutiple times provided they come with disc's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    your own fault
    they have a backlog of games too get through from people sending them in
    you waited 3 weeks, meaning you got the price of the games that were 3 weeks later then your quoted price

go in store on the day and do it, you'll get the prices listed on the website 99% of the time

That's not what he said. He said he sent them and waited 3 weeks before he was credited with 75% less than he expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They only accept games whose CD Keys are not limited/steam activated. Most PC games they will only accept in original wrapping for those reasons, but older games they will take once they have keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Does anyone know how you use the vouchers on their site?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

FYI, I emailed them and they said you need to buy the product first, with paypal/credit card/whatever, then send them the vouchers and they'll credit your paypal account upon receiving said vouchers. Bit of a messy process imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Anybody know what the process is for trading in a console with them? (E.g time they take to test it etc). I've been looking for a phone number for the Limerick store to ask but they apparently don't have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

You leave it with them for an hour or two depending on how busy the store is, they give you a receipt so you can come back and get your cash. You get more the better condition its in as well, so bring box and everything if you have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

On busy days it can be a fair wait though. Up to a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I agree with the post above me. I saw someone take GTA V into CeX to see if he can get it replaced as the play disc wouldn't work. While telling the employee this, the employee then looked at the disc and went "ooooh no, it is really badly damaged, it more than likely wouldn't work at all" ... The lad giving the game over had said

"no, that's the installation disc, I have it installed already, the play disc won't work"

I tried to bring in my iPod Touch to trade in for cash. The employee said that I would only get about €30 since there was a little bit of a dent in the screen. He said he would take it but it would only be listed under damaged. Which I took on board accepted it but I didn't trade it in after.

Later on I changed my mind and went back into the store, another employee served me, and after I gave the iPod over, the lad looked at me in utter confusion, and said "sorry we don't take in the iPod Touch, it's only the iPhone we take. You would have to provide a serial number"

What??

Don't get me wrong, I love the store for the amount of games (both old and new) they sell and I could spend hours in there browsing around... But with regards to the staff, I'd say the type of staff they look for is

"Can you talk to people?"
    "Yep"
    "Grand so, you're hired"

I've never heard employees end a conversation with;

"sorry about that, now"

"I'm afraid you won't be able to...."

"I can do *this thing* however *this reason*"

"We can't do that unfortunately"

..so much in my life in one shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

I might trade in my 360. What is it you need as i heard they need the full package? Console, hdmi lead, power lead/transformer, joy pad & charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Hears6

I might trade in my 360. What is it you need as i heard they need the full package? Console, hdmi lead, power lead/transformer, joy pad & charger?
    They require all that, plus the appropriate leads for play n charge and a hdmi for some reason despite the console shipping with scart lead thing rather than a hdmi in the first place

Advertisement