Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fine for late return of form 11

Options
  • 18-12-2013 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Just wondering if I am the only one here. :confused:

I just got fined (e184) for not filing my Form 11 on the online Ros system by the deadline last month. Bit perplexing given: I worked out my liability on the offline Ros app, paid my tax in full and I DID upload the form 11.

I have no idea why it wasn't saved and filed on the system - and I didn't realise I'd be fined if it wasn't. The instructions are not clear at all.

Anyway, the upshot is that other sole traders will want to check their documents filed properly. You can see this in your revenue record - there will be a red LATE label over FORM11. Looks like the fine increases day to day too.

I am going to write them a letter to complain about the instructions and usability of the site. I surely can't be the only one who ran into this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

I find it ok..I filed on the last day
    made a mistake on the return
    edited it a few days later around the 20th
    checked the record to make sure everything went through

biggest problem is the crash course in accountancy I have to do every year

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ailsabt

Yes me too!! I uploaded my form 11 and I didn't see it to check it over online so I uploaded it again and actually opened it up to check everything. Calculated my liability and prelim for 2013 and paid my tax. It's only when I was applying for a Tax Clearance Cert, I got a notice that I hadn't filed my Form 11. I wondered how I could calculate my liability without filing it, but apparently you can as I rang them up. So I was fined €147 for late return. This is frustrating and I feel unfair as I DID upload my form...twice! Unless that upset things. Why would I pay my tax and not upload the form. Makes no sense to me.
    Anyway I'm going to appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 twangypearl

Fair play to you, tomdempsey200, looks like you have mastered the system.

Sorry about that Ailsabt, but I feel better now I know I am not the only one.

I'll appeal too. I'll send you on the letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ailsabt

Yes it's the crash course in accountancy and for me it's getting my head around the confusing options once you've 'supposedly' filed your Form 11. They've definitely improved the site recently but there's still a bit to go I think. Once you've uploaded your form and can actually see it online that's surely proof that it's up somewhere in the system? It can't just disappear again surely?

Yeah. It just disappeared for me too, with no trace. We'll see if anyone else has had the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Main thing to take from this is to remember the 31st is a deadline, that means you have to have it done by then rather than you have to do it then. If you file your return in July or August you'll never have this problem.

If you've a clear track record (ie previous returns were on time) Revenue will delete the surcharge if you give them a call. If you've been late before though it's unlikely they'll change it. It's 5% up to a month late, 10% after.

It's tough for sole traders who get charged that on their tax liability, but spare a thought for company directors who get charged it on their taxable income, it can be a serious wedge for them.

Oh thanks very much, 2ndcoming, good to know. I'll ring them on that - I have a good record - and next year I will file my form 11 in the summer so there's no room for doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Main thing to take from this is to remember the 31st is a deadline,

it's not for ROS

deadline is later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Think that's a provisional thing to get more people using ROS, it'll be back to 31st when they've done away with the paper returns altogether in the next few years I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Deadline is Nov 15th each year for ROS although this is subject to change.

Sounds like you uploaded the return but didn't hit the submit return button.

I think there is no point blaming anyone but yourself in that situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Deadline is Nov 15th each year for ROS although this is subject to change.

And to highlight the changeable nature of it - it was 14th Nov this year!

OP - Just a possibility - if you haven't made your LPT filing or paid the LPT you can be hit with the surcharge even though you filed your income tax return on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 moneybags13

Hello 2nd coming,
    Thank you for your comment re being reimbursed late charges for late filing etc.

My accountant late filed in 2011 because he hadn't included some important information, although supplied by me, and waited till he could do it, albeit at my expense. Would it be appropriate to ask for the penalty to be offset against a current tax liability or should I let it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

If the accountant screws up they should pay the penalty for you.

Advertisement