Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New traffic layout at Raheny village

Options
  • 18-12-2013 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭

Its a disaster. The road has been resurfaced which is great, but the layout of the road has been changed. When you are approaching the cross roads from the Nissan garage side, the lane is now much narrower due to a massive cycle lane, and a traffic island in the middle of the road. Cars turning right can't pull right until much later, and cars going on straight / going left have a narrower lane now as the cycle lane is there.

It means that traffic now backed up badly every morning. This morning it was backed up all the way to the second Maywood entrance.

What they need to do is either make that cycle lane narrower, so cars can proceed straight, or remove the island opposite the Nissan garage, which no pedestrians use to cross.

I've noticed that lines have been painted and then repainted a few weeks later (Baldoyle turn off coast road for one local one, and a bus lane on Westland Row as another example) so obviously mistakes are being made and then corrected.

Makes you wonder who's in charge of this and who is making these decisions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Not DCN-relevant. Moved to Dublin City.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Hi OP, agree with you 100%, it's a total disaster. They spent so long doing it and seem to have made a total balls of it. I live in Raheny and travel to Sutton most mornings and around 8.30am seems to be the worst time. Why are the cycle lanes so wide? Also if you're at the junction, coming from Raheny and turning to go towards the station, you're effectively driving in the cycle lane as there is no option. I'm the first person to give out about cyclists but I can see this is an accident waiting to happen. I wonder will they come back and fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I hope so. They did the same at the Sutton junction to Baldoyle, they repainted the lines as it was just wrong. And also they've done it in town, they made Lincoln Place leading to Westland Row a bus lane but now they've made it two lanes again.

I take that right turn up to the station every morning, and it used to be so easy. Now the traffic makes it impossible. No one actually goes into the cycle lane either. They need to make it narrower.

I have written to Dublin City Council to make them aware of the issue but I doubt it'll make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Well fair pay to you for writing to them, think I'll do the same instead of moaning about it every morning :)

I just emailed customerservices at dublincity dot ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have seen cars on the wrong side of the road because the road markings are so bad.
    Cycle lanes big enough to park in???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RahenyD5

+1

Don't agree with the pro-cyclist agenda that DCC are pushing, we are not ready for this as we are not as tolerant with cyclists as the Dutch or Danish.

Segregated cycle tracks are grand - such as that one by the Grand Canal - but putting these on the roads all over the city is asking for trouble especially with buses everywhere, so with more people cycling would mean more collisions at O'Connell bridge and at Raheny crossroads. London is experiencing lots of cyclist accidents nearly every day due to scarcity of segregated cycle tracks.

Dublin needs more cycle tracks away from the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

RahenyD5 wrote: »
    +1

Don't agree with the pro-cyclist agenda that DCC are pushing, we are not ready for this as we are not as tolerant with cyclists as the Dutch or Danish.

Segregated cycle tracks are grand - such as that one by the Grand Canal - but putting these on the roads all over the city is asking for trouble especially with buses everywhere, so with more people cycling would mean more collisions at O'Connell bridge and at Raheny crossroads. London is experiencing lots of cyclist accidents nearly every day due to scarcity of segregated cycle tracks.

Dublin needs more cycle tracks away from the roads.

It's not necessarily DCC which is pushing this agenda. It's a reflection of guidelines for urban planning decided on a national executive level as per the linked document below. DCC are merely adhering to the rules. It represents a new pedestrian- and cyclist-friendly policy.

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,29322,en.pdf&cd=1&ved=0CCQQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHLq_2ej7ngDdZp5TS1ROrrg-Wcvg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RahenyD5

If a cyclist friendly policy is to be adopted in Dublin then this would need to be done properly without half hearted attempts.

It would be grand to see proper cycle tracks, properly segregated from traffic by raised kerbing in between, down Clontarf Road - cyclists currently have to ride on the bus lane! - from Howth down to Fairview then over Alfie Byrne Road to East Wall linking with the existing track already on Guild Street.

Also possibly another cycle track with raised kerbing along North Strand Road, from Fairview down to the quays.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but unexpectedly I got an email about this yesterday:

"I refer to your email of 18th December, 2013, regarding the above.

I wish to inform you that the Traffic Advisory Group at its meeting of 22nd September, 2015, did not recommend a relocation or removal of the pedestrian island or refuge to facilitate additional storage for right-turning traffic as the refuge acts both as a traffic calming measure and as a facility for pedestrians to cross the road.

The Howth Road forms part of the Greater Dublin Area Cycle Network Plan. One of its key challenges is to apportion road space on high transport demand corridors where there is competing demand from buses and cars or to identify appropriate alternative parallel routes that offer a more pleasant environment for cycling. As a result the carriageway on this section of Howth Road has been apportioned with this intent. There is insufficient road width to facilitate a left turning and likewise a right turning lane onto Station Road.

Therefore, the Traffic Advisory Group, for the reasons outlined above, did not recommend the removal of part of the cycle route.

Yours sincerely,
    Stephen Hickey,
    Senior Staff Officer,
    Administration/Traffic Advisory Group,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but unexpectedly I got an email about this yesterday:

"I refer to your email of 18th December, 2013, regarding the above.

Zombie e-mail!
    LOL!

I know, I couldn't believe it when I got it. What takes two years to review??

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

There's never any joint up thinking with anything like this,
    I live in Grangemore in Donaghmede and for the entrance coming out of the estate onto the Grange road they made the corner narrower. Before this if a car was turning right onto the Grange road coming out of the estate a car could also turn left no problem. Now if a car is turning right it backs up the traffic because nobody else can get passed. There was never an issue with this corner in 20 years so why fix something if it's not broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The cycle lanes in parts of Raheny village are wide enough to park a care in. In fact near Bank Of Ireland People do park in it. It looks more like road markings for paid parking not a cycle lane. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There should be enough road space for an eastbound straight through lane on Howth Road at the junction with Station Road, a left turning lane onto Station Road, with the cycle lane in between continuing straight through the junction. I am sure the road width is there, it would mean losing the hatched area and maybe narrowing the lanes on each side but they should still be sufficiently wide, even realign the kerb in front of the church if necessary.

As it is, the cycle lane is used as the left turning lane, as people turning left do not want to queue with traffic going straight on, which is not good for anyone, be they drivers or cyclists.

Advertisement