Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intrum Justita

Options
  • 17-12-2013 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi All

I moved abroad at end September and asked to change the name on our UPC account to my housemate who would take over the bill at the start of Sep. UPC said this was not possible, a new account (and new box, contract etc) would need to be set up. They eventually cancelled. But charged us for two contracts at the same time for the same house. They have now sent a bill for over 75% of the monthly charge - they won't give me the start date of the new contract due to data protection reasons. Why couldn't they set up the new account from the date of the old account expiring?

They have now sent Intrum Justita letters to my old address - I've advised them I live thousands of miles away and gave updated details but they continue to ignore. The last letter threatened legal action. I have contacted Intrum Justita and forwarded all correspondence but they won't respond and keep sending letters.

The amouny of money is only around eur50 but I don't think I should pay it. Basically I want to to know if this affect my credit rating if I eventually return to Ireland? What exactly can they do? I also thought I could pay offer them weekly installments of 1c?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Keira2468 wrote: »
    Hi All

I moved abroad at end September and asked to change the name on our UPC account to my housemate who would take over the bill at the start of Sep. UPC said this was not possible, a new account (and new box, contract etc) would need to be set up. They eventually cancelled. But charged us for two contracts at the same time for the same house. They have now sent a bill for over 75% of the monthly charge - they won't give me the start date of the new contract due to data protection reasons. Why couldn't they set up the new account from the date of the old account expiring?

They have now sent Intrum Justita letters to my old address - I've advised them I live thousands of miles away and gave updated details but they continue to ignore. The last letter threatened legal action. I have contacted Intrum Justita and forwarded all correspondence but they won't respond and keep sending letters.

The amouny of money is only around eur50 but I don't think I should pay it. Basically I want to to know if this affect my credit rating if I eventually return to Ireland? What exactly can they do? I also thought I could pay offer them weekly installments of 1c?

Ignore IJ completely - don't engage with them at all. Provided you'd given the proper 30 days notice or whatever was in your contract, tell UPC that unless they can prove that they were providing two different services at the same time to the same house you won't be paying them. Neither UPC nor IJ can affect your credit rating without a court judgement, and I will eat a wide variety of hats if UPC bring you to court over €50. Offering them weekly installments of 1c is acting the maggot. Deal with it properly or not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

As I said above. It will NOT affect your credit rating. Only bank/credit union loans will affect your credit rating. Companies like Intrum Justitia just buy the debts that UPC has written off. They will pay around 20% of the value of the debt and will send you draft summonses they typed themselves or printed off a website to scare you into paying the debt. They can't do anything to you. I would still call them though and offer the 1c a week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Chris___ wrote: »
    Makes no sense paying something that is already wrote off. IT WON'T AFFECT CREDIT RATINGS INVOLVE DEBT COLLECTORS TO YOUR DOOR OR EVEN GO TO COURT. Just enjoy your new life in Canada and forget all about it. With a 39.9% APR very few people will feel sorry for them.

It "demanding money with menaces" still an offence in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I also thought I could pay offer them weekly installments of 1c?

That is really just pulling the p*ss. It would probably cost you more in banking fees to do that. Either way, engage only with UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Hi All

Ironically, for reasons I will come to, the contract is with you and you alone. Why did you not cancel the contract in good order before leaving. 'My house-mate needed TV' is simply no a good enough reason. It doesn't take a logistical feat to arrange both of you to be in the house together, cancel one contract and start another being installed the day before the first one expires.

In regard to data protection you only need to look at boards to see the, frankly schizophrenic, Irish attitude to data protection. Let even the smallest detail out, use the tinyest amount of common sense in dealing with a wife or partner when the account is in someone else's name and people are screaming from the roof tops. Not give all the account details to the bloody lodger and it's p!ss poor customer service. People, make up your minds.

Rant over, lets turn to your issue.

You owe money to UPC, write to them offering to pay explaining that you will only deal with the parties to the contract and not with IJ. Alternatively leave it, it won't affect your credit rating as it stands at the moment. You won't be able to sign up with UPC again but given you're not in the country it doesn't really matter.

Don't offer 1c, you owe the money, don't take the mickey, either leave it or pay it. Fair enough not to engage with the debt collection company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Keira2468

Thanks all for the advice. I left at short notice, basically a month. I contacted UPC and explained. The problem is is that they started the new contract early somehow plus they have used the wrong cancellation date. I have offered to pay them with a deduction for the weeks where the contacts overlapped but they have not agreed.

Thanks all for the advice. I left at short notice, basically a month. I contacted UPC and explained. The problem is is that they started the new contract early somehow plus they have used the wrong cancellation date. I have offered to pay them with a deduction for the weeks where the contacts overlapped but they have not agreed.

Did you house mate agree an install date prior to your cancellation date?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Keira2468

I let them know via electronic form survey that I would be cancelling at the increased rate in September back at the beginning of June. They have confirmed they received the message however they stated that it needed to be via electronic mail as under Section 17 of their terms and conditions. However, they have not defined "electronic mail" in their terms and conditions. I would have thought a message confirmed as received like this can count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Cancelling UPC is an art in itself. As far as I can remember I cancelled through email,got a reply, then the cancellation didnt happen so I had to call and refer to the email and confirmation, cancellation finally happened and I had to claim for the extra month I was charged, this was just for the home phone service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

That's why you should NEVER rely on e-mail or phone calls to cancel services.

Always send a letter (preferably) registered. What can't speak, can't lie...

I let them know via electronic form survey that I would be cancelling at the increased rate in September back at the beginning of June. They have confirmed they received the message however they stated that it needed to be via electronic mail as under Section 17 of their terms and conditions. However, they have not defined "electronic mail" in their terms and conditions. I would have thought a message confirmed as received like this can count.

Electronic mail is defined under the e-commerce Act if I recall correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

That's why you should NEVER rely on e-mail or phone calls to cancel services.

Always send a letter (preferably) registered. What can't speak, can't lie...

This is not always true. SKY TV told me they do not accept letters for cancellation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

This is not always true. SKY TV told me they do not accept letters for cancellation.

Because they are frequently sent to the wrong address. When I cancelled my Sky in London, the letter was sent to Dundee. No problems...

Advertisement