Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question on sniffer dogs

• 18-12-2013 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭

I recently was visiting prison , and had to undergo all the various preocedures for entering the visiting area . Which I had done previously for the last 7 months . Until I got to the sniffer dog . He walked around me and then sat infront of me ! Which signalled that he had detected drugs !! I've never ever taken a drug in my life or even smoked a cigarette . I was brought in for another search when this happened and subsequently had to have a screened prison visit . Can these dogs get it wrong from time to time ? Or is this another explanation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Dogs in tests have been known to detect chemicals in a couple of particles, wait for it, in parts per trillion. Very reasonable to assume you just came into contact with some object or person who had been in direct contact with a substance the dog was trained to detect. All it is, is an indication by the dog so don't feel guilty unless you've something to hide:pac:
    Think of the experience to the same as setting off a portal in a security area of a foreign airport. I'm a dab hand at that. Wife says I just like the attention!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

Colash wrote: »
    I recently was visiting prison , and had to undergo all the various preocedures for entering the visiting area . Which I had done previously for the last 7 months . Until I got to the sniffer dog . He walked around me and then sat infront of me ! Which signalled that he had detected drugs !! I've never ever taken a drug in my life or even smoked a cigarette . I was brought in for another search when this happened and subsequently had to have a screened prison visit . Can these dogs get it wrong from time to time ? Or is this another explanation

Only you know if the dog got it wrong. If you've did nothing wrong he got it wrong,if you did he got it right.simple really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Dogs don't get it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Dogs don't get it wrong.
    Well he did on this occasion . I made a complaint and I was informed that the dog had stopped numerous innocent people that day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Well he did on this occasion . I made a complaint and I was informed that the dog had stopped numerous innocent people that day

There's a difference between the dog stopping innocent people and getting it wrong. You could have had a note in your pocket which somebody snorted coke with a some stage, or somebody could have been smoking weed around you, even on the street. Just because the dog detects something doesn't mean you're innocent or guilty. It just means at some stage you were in contact with at least trace amounts of drugs, which isn't at all uncommon.

• Advertisement

You made a complaint about a dog?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

You made a complaint about a dog?:rolleyes:

About the dog , the situation and the way I was treated afterwards .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Your were visiting someone in a prison dude, there is security procedures and protocols in place for visitors.

One of them is the use of a sniffer dog/s, walkway metal detectors, searching of persons etc etc.

The Dog indicated , simples. You may have been in company or at a party where drugs were present, being used or smoked etc.

By making a complaint you have not done yourself any favours for future visits.

About the dog , the situation and the way I was treated afterwards .

So the dog didn't say sowwy after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭kravmaga

So the dog didn't say sowwy after?

Hehe , I think the OP should apologise to the Dog and buy a nice big juicy bone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Pure prejudice on the part of the dog, he should be suspended for two weeks without shmackos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Sad to see that people on here who should know better can't offer civil responses to a genuine op. Plenty of decent people visit prisons every week to see friends, family or professional acquaintances, no need for the smart ass replies.

Regarding the original post, some dogs do get it wrong but as others have said you may have been exposed to trace amounts of a particular substance, hence the dog indication. What happened after that is a standard procedure and nothing to worry or get upset about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Lads its a horrible enough experience visiting a jail without having the visit "screened" and having extra searches.

OP you may have gotten money from a shop or something with drug residue on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

It's a prison a high security installation. In this day an age it takes a bit of work on the part of the prisoner to end up there.

If the dog indicates, you are going to be searched.

Dress it up how you want the fact is the OP is being far to precious about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

On the balance of probability i would suggest that it was a medium security facility. Regardless, the op asked a question and should reasonably expect a mature response. It is what it is, if the dog indicates you will be subject to a comprehensive search and a screened visit. This can be distressing, particularly if you have done nothing wrong.

Best advice for op is to forget about it, you have no grounds for a complaint.

Advertisement