Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray Dog In My Garage

• 18-12-2013 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I was bringing in a load of fuel yesterday evening and when I was out in the drive way I spotted a medium size dog out on the green chasing people up and down the green. He stripped his teeth a couple of times at them. I carried on unloading the van and then he ran in past me and into my garage. I left him be for a few minutes until I finished unloading. I evenyually went over to get him out of the garage and he snarled and made a run at me. He jumped up and bit me on the arm. He ran back into the garage and he is there ever since. Everytime I get near him he just snarls at me. I looked up the local dog pound here and they are closed on a Wednesday. I eventually called the guards to see would they have any ideas and they tried to contact the dog warden but couldn't get him as the pound is closed on a Wednesday. What do I do? I can probably coax him out of the garage but I don't think it would be safe to put him back on the street. Any ideas would be a help. He has he head of a Lab and the coloring and body size of a rotweiller. I would say he is still a pup

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Where are you? If you give a location, posters may be able to pm you details of local rescues. Unfortunately as this dog has bitten you (as he was most likely feeling VERY frightened and threatened) he will most likely be considered dangerous by the the pound/dog warden and possibly be pts. If he does get to stay 5 days in the pound to give his owners a chance to claim him he will probably have little chance after that to make it out of the pound, given his form, size and the time of year. A local rescue might be able to help, they may be able to sedate the dog and make him easier to handle and at least get him out of your garage and then they can assess him and see where they go from there. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

I'm in Tullamore Co. Offaly. I have talked to the OSPCA this morning and they have told me to leave him be in the garage until the pound opens tomorrow and then give them a call. They want me to take a photo of him to email them and they said they will put it up on Facebook to see will an owner come forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'm not too familiar with that part of the country, but a list of local rescues can be found here http://adoptapet.ie/rescues/

more info in the charter, second post.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056146511

Also you can put a photo of the dog on facebook pages such as Lors Lost dogs, it has a huge following and can reunite owners and pets, and lostdogs.ie, the links are in the list below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85745258&postcount=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

The poor dog must be absolutely terrified.
    Could you put down a bowl of water and some food in the garage for him?
    I hate to think what state he is in emotionally if he is sheltering in your garage/strange place, and snarling at you on approach.
    How very sad.
    It is kind of you to leave him in your garage in peace, until someone can come to help assess the situation.
    Let us know what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I was going to suggest what others have said, leave him be for a while til he calms down and then leave him in something tasty and some water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Dont forget to get a tetanus if he broke the skin when he bit you.

Advertisement