Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto Electrician

Options
  • 18-12-2013 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend an auto electrician around the airport or Ballincollig if possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Out of curiosity, what kind of work do you need to have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

cantdecide wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what kind of work do you need to have done?

I have replaced an oxygen sensor already with a second hand part on a Toyota Corolla 2001 but I still have the engine light warning.

There seems to be talk that you can get away without an oxygen sensor but I assume I can't through an NCT with this warning light.

The mechanic has recommended replacing the oxygen sensor again in case this part was faulty.

If the warning light is still on after this I'll have to go to an auto electrician to check out the wiring as it may be giving a false reading. If you have ideas on how much you think this would set me back let me know.

I don't know if you're much of a petrol head and I don't want to 'teach you to suck eggs' but I would share the following thoughts.

Does your mechanic have a gas analyser and/ or OBD equipment?

I can't help but feel you can't eliminate the sensor unless your replace with new. They have a hard life after all and they often fail in lots of cars. They must be pretty cheap for a common car like yours and it takes minutes to fit.

It is an NCT fail to have an EML warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daithi_dearg

cantdecide wrote: »
    I don't know if you're much of a petrol head and I don't want to 'teach you to suck eggs' but I would share the following thoughts.

Does your mechanic have a gas analyser and/ or OBD equipment?

I can't help but feel you can't eliminate the sensor unless your replace with new. They have a hard life after all and they often fail in lots of cars. They must be pretty cheap for a common car like yours and it takes minutes to fit.

It is an NCT fail to have an EML warning.

I haven't a huge amount of experience with cars but I was there while the mechanic plugged it into the computer to see the fault but I didn't see a gas analyser being put on.

I'll look at the cost of a new part but I thought it was around the €100 mark versus the second hand part for €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Could you not turn off the eml and put it through the nct and see what arises,i did it with my 04 avensis and it passed,i was getting a p0402 code.

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    Could you not turn off the eml and put it through the nct and see what arises,i did it with my 04 avensis and it passed,i was getting a p0402 code.

It's Russian Roulette. You might be able to clear the fault but you might get the EML on the way to the test. If the o2 sensor is knackered and clearing the fault works well enough to scrape through the test, the car still ain't going to like it. I had an o2 sensor go in an old 325i and it caused havoc and the fuel consumption went through the roof and caused the car to misfire quite badly. This kind of thing can do your catalytic converter no good and that's another kind of headache altogether.

Advertisement