Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bogland for forestry?

• 18-12-2013 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help. My father has approximately 12 acres of land, bogland really, in Kerry that he was looking to sell . However, someone has told him that it couldn't be sold for forestry as the government don't allow bogland to be sold for this purpose and that the nearby airport could object to it.

Is this true? I don't even know where to begin to look to find the information regarding this. Could someone maybe point me towards organizations that would have the answers?
    Any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

There is research ongoing for Boland afforestation (Google Bogfor) not sure about the airport depends how close flightpaths ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

The Govt. won't allow anything to be done to the land if it's a S.A.C. (special area of conservation) or some other acronym.
    I personally know of lots of forestry growing in bogland in areas close to you but most of them were planted years ago. I've seen many new plantations being started within the last few years - some on bog, some on poorly-drained land, so it seems the advice given is incorrect.
    Bog would only 'allow' Sitka's etc; to grow and they don't support a lot of bird/wildlife but it depends on how close the site is to the Airport.
    There is a Coillte Office in CastleIsland and they will be able to give you precise information 066 7163370

Advertisement