Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overloaded...????

Options
  • 18-12-2013 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭

A while back we bought a new electric kettle and matching toaster in Debenhams...Have been impressed with the kettle since day one, it will boil a full load in less than 3 minutes...on inspection/cleaning yesterday i noticed that it was rated at 3kw...:eek:...thats three bars on yer old electric fire (Jim Royle would have a stroke).....combined with the toaster at 1.8kw thats 4.8kw on one 2.5mm t+e cable....the washing machine is also on the same circuit....

So my question is , if its safe to have all three going at the same time...:confused:

TBH...it looks like theres only one cable feeding the entire kitchen...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

A while back we bought a new electric kettle and matching toaster in Debenhams...Have been impressed with the kettle since day one, it will boil a full load in less than 3 minutes...on inspection/cleaning yesterday i noticed that it was rated at 3kw...:eek:...thats three bars on yer old electric fire (Jim Royle would have a stroke).....combined with the toaster at 1.8kw thats 4.8kw on one 2.5mm t+e cable....the washing machine is also on the same circuit....

So my question is , if its safe to have all three going at the same time...:confused:

there may be a ring circuit feeding the kitchen...that is rated higher than 1 t+e

the norm now is a few radial(single) circuits

the t+e is protected by the mcb at the distribution board(fusebox)

it may trip if you plug too much in

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

So my question is , if its safe to have all three going at the same time.

If your wiring complies with the regulations then yes it is safe to use all 3 devices at the same time.

At present the requirement is that a kitchen should be served by a minimum of 2 dedicated radial socket circuits.

Typically these circuits would be protected by a 20A B type MCB.
    A 4.8kW resistive load will draw in the region of 20.8 amps. Even if the total load peaked at 25A for a minute or two the 20A B Type MCB would not trip.
    Well within the time frame the kettle would have boiled and the toaster would have to popped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

What KW rating is on your washing machine?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Just to add:

Although the wiring may comply with the regulations and switching on all 3 devices simultaneously may not be dangerous, however the installation may be suffering from poor design and/or a lack of socket circuits!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Thanx lads...its a 70's house...theres up sockets, down sockets and kitchen...thats it...only one wire at each (3 x20a) cb.....might get a couple of new ones run in after chrimbo.......;)

• Advertisement

.might get a couple of new ones run in after chrimbo.......;)
    Good idea.

Advertisement