Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions please.

Options
  • 18-12-2013 2:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

OK Hello all. I am currently doing a PLC in computer science and wish to go to UCD for further education if I can.

Just have a few questions. Anyone who does Computer Science at UCD currently what are the timetables like? How long is each class? What are teh holidays like(Christmas,Easter,Halloween etc...) as in when do they usually start and when do they end?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Hey fontdor,

I'm not doing computer science but I can answer some of these.
    Timetables are changed yearly so what is in place this year may be changed later. You can look at this years times by clicking this link. Under Stage 1, all CORE modules are modules you have to take. Select one and go to the 'When is this module offered' and it will give you a general idea of when the class is on.
    It will also tell you how long the class is, but most are usually an hour long, but may be on more than once a week.

Term dates are here and will tell you the start and end dates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

Maldesu wrote: »
    Hey fontdor,

I'm not doing computer science but I can answer some of these.
    Timetables are changed yearly so what is in place this year may be changed later. You can look at this years times by clicking this link. Under Stage 1, all CORE modules are modules you have to take. Select one and go to the 'When is this module offered' and it will give you a general idea of when the class is on.
    It will also tell you how long the class is, but most are usually an hour long, but may be on more than once a week.

Term dates are here and will tell you the start and end dates.

Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

fontdor wrote: »
    OK Hello all. I am currently doing a PLC in computer science and wish to go to UCD for further education if I can.

Just have a few questions. Anyone who does Computer Science at UCD currently what are the timetables like? How long is each class? What are teh holidays like(Christmas,Easter,Halloween etc...) as in when do they usually start and when do they end?

Thanks all.

Classes are generally 50 mins. They start on the hour and most finish at ten to the hour, to allow you time to get to the next lecture.

Holidays, you'll generally be finished lectures the last week in November, a week break for exams, and then exams (Depending on your schedule. Its completely random each year) until about the 20th of December. You are then normally off until the 20th or so of January.

Same craic in the summer, generally finish lectures the last week in April, a week off and then exams until mid-May. UCD starts back the second week of September normally (If your not first year, if you are, its generally an orientation week the week before)

Computer Sci. doesn't have the heaviest timetable but outside of lectures you will have tutorials (Some of which are mandatory) So I would expect a 9 to 5 routine most days of the week. Then again, you could start as late as 11 some days and finish as late as 6 others.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

fontdor wrote: »

Thanks all.

UCD is renowned for being exceptionally big, centralised, and a bit apathetic. Many courses are amorphous and chop and change. On the other hand this allows programmes to be open ended, and dynamic, and grant you free to decide your own future within the university.

Virtunally none of this is the case however with Comp Sci - for better and worse. Comp Sci is limited to one or two buildings, and shares almost nothing with any other course (except Mathematics). It is really the only science subject which is excluded as a subject stream from Science Omnibus. Unlike Maths, it is also unavailable to Arts students (nowadays). There are almost no options within the first 3 years of study - your modules are predominantly mandatory. On the other hand everybody tends to know one another, and you don't have the stress of having to design your own degree (until fourth year at least).

Advertisement