Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I'm stumped..

Options
  • 18-12-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭

Just stumbled across this
    http://youtu.be/fj5Aq7bz-tI
    Fox and bigger game to be taken using an air rifle tis kinda game changing...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

At £1550.00 without sights or charging supply [or bipod] you really HAVE to want this thing a lot. No supplier in the RoI either, so a UK supplier to your FFL/RFD is needed. Take off the 20% VAT and you are left with £1230.00. Converted to euros in UK that's eu1464 plus shipping, import duties into the RoI and the dealer's cut.

You just MIGHT get it for eu2000, but you'd have to add another eu500 minimum for a scope and a eu100 hit for a bipod, plus, of course, whatever means you are going to use to charge it up. Eight shots per charge doesn't impress me, either.......at least with a cartridge-firing rifle you simply load a few more rounds and carry on.

A Big Boy's fun gun, then. At a 'whopping' 300 ft lbs there is NO deer-sized game you could use it on here or in the North. eu2600 for an eight-shot foxing gun is a lot to pay when a third of that money spent on a nice s/h CZ with a scope and a couple of hundred rounds of .17HMR will see you shooting far longer.

I'm not holding my breath that the hills will be filled with the sounds of 'phuts' any time soon.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

He has shot boar with that too..

Said it was a perfect gun for boar hunting after shooting a boar into the head at 15 yards..

Id like to see how perfect he thinks it would be if the boar was running at him or more than 15 yards away..

He's used it to shoot a range of African deer/sheep/goat species on the team wild tv youtube channel.

garv123 wrote: »
    He has shot boar with that too..

Said it was a perfect gun for boar hunting after shooting a boar into the head at 15 yards..

Id like to see how perfect he thinks it would be if the boar was running at him or more than 15 yards away..

He's used it to shoot a range of African deer/sheep/goat species on the team wild tv youtube channel.

Horses for courses, and, naturally, somebody behind you with a nice BIG double rifle, just in case it all goes horribly tits-up.

The problem, as I see it, and please shoot me down if I'm wrong, is that I'd be amazed if ANY four-legged game animal in Ireland or even the mainland UK, would let you get that close for a nice convenient head-shot.

Anybody here shot ANY deer-sized animal at that range?

And as you point out - anybody here been charged by an angry piggy with all that sharp ivory sticking out of his, or her, slavering gob?

I'll Just point out that feral hogs can run fast enough to make Usain Bolt look like a tree stump - from a standing start.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

The intro music on that Team Wild crap says it all. Rarely see anything of any use on the show. As for the big bore air rifle......? Sorry bout your small d1ck bro :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Snakezilla wrote: »
    The intro music on that Team Wild crap says it all. Rarely see anything of any use on the show. As for the big bore air rifle......? Sorry bout your small d1ck bro :cool:

I agree. Used to subscribe to that channel but found some of their activities questionable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_Air_Rifle

Powerful air rifles are nothing new. This one would put a round ball well embedded into an oak tree at black powder distances. Used by the Lewis & Clark expedition in demonstrations to the various tribes to help dissuade them from testing the expedition's defensive capabilities. Even though they put it to good use, at 1500 pumps to charge, and relativle fragile workings, still a novelty.

Also used by Austrian Sharpshooters during the Napoleonic Wars...

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

tac foley wrote: »
    Also used by Austrian Sharpshooters during the Napoleonic Wars...

tac

Don't forget Colonel Sebastian Moran :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

The problem, as I see it, and please shoot me down if I'm wrong, is that I'd be amazed if ANY four-legged game animal in Ireland or even the mainland UK, would let you get that close for a nice convenient head-shot.

Anybody here shot ANY deer-sized animal at that range?

Myself and a stalking buddy sat for a half hour while a fallow doe and calve crossed our path and headed into heavy bushes less that 10 yards infront of us. They never knew we were there! :cool: They were out of season tho! :p

Have shot a few at less than 30 yards but you'd be going hungry if you had to get that close all the time in the terrain I shoot!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Also used by Austrian Sharpshooters during the Napoleonic Wars...tac

They were so feared that soldiers caught with them were executed. A powerful rifle with little noise, no muzzle flash and no smoke would have been a handy thing to have in the black powder era and maybe still would. Don't fancy the chances of licencing one here though :(

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Ultimate 19th century assault weapon, like something out of Jules Verne. Nice vid Tac, beautiful workmanship on that thing too. They knew how to do it right!

Advertisement