Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sallys for firewood

• 18-12-2013 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Just wondering are Sally's any good for firewood if they are dried out well ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

135man wrote: »
    Just wondering are Sally's any good for firewood if they are dried out well ??
    Superb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Superb

Yes, and surprisingly quick to season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Yes, and surprisingly quick to season.

Something to do with structure of fibres in quick growing wood?

I find ash, willow, alder etc very easy to season, but oak very slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

ford2600 wrote: »

i found the same oak takes ages :( i found ash burnt very good straight away.
    sally shhould burn well to

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭135man

That's handy can get my hand on a lot of Sally's will probably be burning next winter leave it season for a year anyway

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »

I would say you are right about the fibres.

Oak is fine if left for 2 years under cover and will reward you with one of the best fires you can get.

Ash burns green because it has a relatively low moisture content ( about 30-40%)

The best time of year to cut and store away is now because the sap is very low so quicker to dry out.

And never bother with weeping willow if you are ever offered it, almost no calorific value whatsoever.

And don't forget to split as soon as you can after cutting.

Also if stacking wood it is best to have bark facing down and cut side up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

willow can spit a bit more than ash, so use the fire guard. Had some oak a few years back and it was a bit too dense and needed coal to keep it going :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

What are Sallys ??

In Ireland willow trees are called sally....I sometimes wonder if it is derived from the latin for willow which is Salix. But someone else might know the answer to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

monkeynuz wrote: »
    In Ireland willow trees are called sally....I sometimes wonder if it is derived from the latin for willow which is Salix. But someone else might know the answer to that.

Great, thanks. Never heard them called sallys, but a derivation from Salix makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

may be derived from Saileach the irish for willow? which came first I wonder? :D

Oldtree wrote: »
    may be derived from Saileach the irish for willow? which came first I wonder? :D

My apologies then for getting that wrong unfortunately not being familiar with Irish I didn't realise there were other possibilities.

Thanks oldtree.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭135man

Sally's do spit a good bit they also burn hot and fast here. I can get a lot here off ditches and neighbours cleaning land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Yes. They are even farmed for pellets.
    In an open fire- use the fireguard. Would be excellent for stoves etc; since they reproduce so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Aren't Sallies/Willows used for firing after coppicing , is that just purely for pelleting or logs as well ?

Advertisement