Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zelda....kinda (Hyrule Warriors)

Options
  • 18-12-2013 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-18-zelda-spin-off-hyrule-warriors-announced

Nintendo have given the Zelda franchise to Koei to do the only thing they seem to know how to do these days and make a Zelda Dynasty Warriors. It's definitely a sign that Nintendo are becoming increasing desperate for third party games that they'd green light something like this.

On the other hand....it could be pretty awesome. Maybe.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If it's like every other Dynasty Warriors game it will play the same and be just as arse. Do not want!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I can see these getting disowned like the Cd-i games were.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I dunno, stuff like this could actually damage a franchise. It's not like a small spin-off mini-game thing like Crossbox Training, it's a fully fledged new Zelda game that could leave a lot of people disappointed. That said I've enjoyed past Dynasty Warriors games, although I haven't played one since the PS2 era, so maybe it could be good? Maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It could be good for some mindless fun. I'll see how it plays out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I'm a total Zelda fan boy so can usually forgive the franchise a lot more than I would normally others, but this makes me very sad :(

Both because it's butchering a franchise I love and because Nintendo are so hard up for content that they are resorting to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Looks like it should have just been an unlockable level and character on whatever new Wii U dynasty warriors game comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmurfX

Gonna just go ahead and pretend this doesn't exist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pushtrak wrote: »
    It could be good for some mindless fun.

For thirty seconds. And then you realise that's all the gameplay has to offer, and your mind is so less it ejects from your skull and goes off to read the complete works of Dostoyevsky in a desperate attempt to refresh itself.

As you can guess, I sort of hate Dynasty Warriors.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mehhh, I'd rather a new Zelda every few years that kept the quality of the series instead of spinoffs tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I like Koei. Dynasty Warriors may not have evolved but games like Bladestorm, Pacific Theatre of Operations and Romance of the three Kingdoms are all interesting strategy games. Dynasty Tactics 1+2 are masterpieces in my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

How does this "damage" Zelda in any way? It's not a "Zelda" game in any real sense, it's a Zelda Skin on a Dynasty Warriors game, no one's making you play it and anyone with half a brain will see that it's not a Zelda game at all.

It does touch on something I mentioned in that "Nintendo's Christmas" thread though, as a company they seem to be completely and utterly bereft of new ideas for their games and even now their annual cash-ins of tried and tested classics like Mario and Zelda and Pokemon just aren't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

They are simply too small. It's not a case of not having the ideas. They don't have the manpower....or the will to fulfil them. They need to hire several more teams to make the games. Two or three hundred more people.

Otherwise, the drought of first party will continue with only 2 first party games a year basically being produced. This is why they are farming out this Zelda spin off. They did the same thing with Metroid Other M.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Also the first two CDi games were decent! The third one is the travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

That looks dreadful and I am not saying this a person, who does not care about Zelda.

Dynasty warriors had a lot of characters, cool combat and variety, but no exploration and adventure.

Zelda has a lot of exploration and adventure elements, but just standard combat, no variety in character and fighting styles ( not including specific items here)

So they took worst parts of both games and fused them. This is bad and by the looks of it a try to jump a more action bandwagon, that most developers gone With lately. Huge mistake.

Have they actually released less first party games this year than usual? Or does it just seem that way because of the lack of 3rd party games to keep people occupied in the interim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

The sad thing is you see developers like Treasure working on some rubbish Capcom thing when they have a good relationship with Nintendo and the Star Fox franchise is dormant...they'd be a great choice to do a new one. Meanwhile W101 goes from having a cast of Nintendo characters to replacing them with original ones - the exact opposite of helping the game's profile - and allowing fan service type creepiness to spoil the family appeal.

But no, let's have a Dynasty Warriors-Zelda match-up instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Have they actually released less first party games this year than usual? Or does it just seem that way because of the lack of 3rd party games to keep people occupied in the interim?

Not compared with the last few years of Wii's life-cycle, no.

They're one of the most prolific publishers. They released a lot of games on WiiU this year and then you have to take into account their 3DS input.

I think the whole Zelda Dynasty Warriors thing is to try and pick up more japanese WiiU sales. The series and it's licensed spin offs are big over there. The same for NES Remix which is cashing in on the massive retro crazy for the famicom that was ignited by Game Center CX.

Radiosonde wrote: »
    Not compared with the last few years of Wii's life-cycle, no.

Compared to the first year of the Wii's life-cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,892 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also the first two CDi games were decent! The third one is the travesty.

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

• Advertisement

Someday I'll convert everyone!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Someday I'll convert everyone!

No, no you won't we've seen them, in my house, and they sucked.

I don't mind the idea of a Dynasty Warriors/LoZ mash-up.
    I don't think it's safe to assume it's going to be a poor game until it's released or at least reviewed.
    Nintendo seem to play it fairly safe with their properties, so I wouldn't think this will be a terrible game, but then the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so await the demo and review we shall.
    That said, they handed out Metroid:Other M to an outside company, Team Ninja, and it was awful imho.
    The visuals seem to be rather low quality, but that may be a symptom of how many polys it's throwing around, again, I'll await the finished game to judge.

There hasn't been a lousy Zelda game, aside from the CDi rubbish, so I say have a little faith.
    But then, if you don't like the series, this is unlikely to convert you, so play Ocarina of Time and Link to the Past instead and see what you're missing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah now, that doesn't look so bad, a little light on the actual gameplay, but we can wait.
    Plus it's just the first course, with the proper Legend of Zelda release for the WiiU still incoming.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That said, they handed out Metroid:Other M to an outside company, Team Ninja, and it was awful imho.

I'd argue that Other M was great, just the story sucked absolute donkeys. The story as well wasn't team Ninjas fault, it was written by the Super Metroid scenario writer (how he ****ed it up is a mystery).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd happily defend Other M too. It has two notable problems: the story being pretty rubbish, and the controls struggling during some of the strange transition sequences. But the game and world design is terrific, and a welcome change of pace after three Prime games in a row (all great games, but let's be fair there were few changes to the formula for the third game). I'd love to see more talented studios given a chance to do something new with established franchises - just look at Capcom's Zelda games after all, absolutely magnificent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That looks absolutely dreadful. Like someone tool one of the older dynasty warriors games on the pc and created a terrible Zelda mod for it.

It better not be the only Zelda game they are planning on releasing on the WiiU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Kiith wrote: »
    That looks absolutely dreadful. Like someone tool one of the older dynasty warriors games on the pc and created a terrible Zelda mod for it.

It better not be the only Zelda game they are planning on releasing on the WiiU.

It's not watch the Nintendo direct from today and he clearly states they are two separate games.looks good to me anyway.
    Wii u is a great console with great games at the moment as is the 3ds.
    Nintendo are on fire at the moment and next year they are bringing out a lot of great games for wii u. I've got a ps4 but guess what I'm playing?

I've had almost every popular console for the last 20 years and haven't really played them much and thought I was just getting too old to enjoy games but since I got a wii u I can't put it down. Everyone should get one! The proper offscreen play is a game changer for me as it allows the missus to watch telly while I play games. Win win.
    Mario 3d world is brilliant and my whole family play it together almost daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Guess its better than nothing, really need to release a proper zelda for wii u next year tho, or early 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

For thirty seconds. And then you realise that's all the gameplay has to offer, and your mind is so less it ejects from your skull and goes off to read the complete works of Dostoyevsky in a desperate attempt to refresh itself.

As you can guess, I sort of hate Dynasty Warriors.

Maybe I should head over to the "Games you like that noone else does" thread...and put Dynasty Warriors in there :rolleyes:

I loved them all on the PS2.
    Recently I got a PS3...and seen DW7 and DW8 on the marketplace....but price is a bit much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think the point earlier to sell more in Japan is a very valid one, the Dynasty Warrior franchise is pretty popular over here. I think it's also a title to tide fans over until new Zelda comes out. It's just basically a skin on a mechanic really. I don't ind Dynasty Warriors actually it's a bit bland and repetitive, but decent enough.

The talk of 'it's sad' that Nintendo have sold their soul or whatever is a lot of nonsense IMO.

Advertisement