Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part of roof collapses at Kent station

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Crikey! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Really hope no one was injured, especially at this time of year.

Might be insensitive right away, but that station is a disaster waiting to happen anyway. Its all well and good saying its a listed building and that but the thing needs to be bulldozed entirely and rebuilt to serve the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Shocking stuff, got the 9.20 train this morning myself to Heuston so I was prob standing under that roof.

My dad said they were actually working on the roof over the past few weeks - there was a crane there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

CHealy wrote: »

Might be insensitive right away, but that station is a disaster waiting to happen anyway. Its all well and good saying its a listed building and that but the thing needs to be bulldozed entirely and rebuilt to serve the people.

Yes, lets knock Shandon, St Finbarrs and UCC, who needs all these crappy old buildings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

leahyl wrote: »
    Shocking stuff, got the 9.20 train this morning myself to Heuston so I was prob standing under that roof.

My dad said they were actually working on the roof over the past few weeks - there was a crane there.
    it's Cobh/Middleton platform, you would have been safe :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

That looks pretty serious. Hope there are no serious casualties.

Being a listed building is no excuse for being in bad repair. Plenty listed buildings are in good shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 elvidsa2013

This is from the same people who brought us this blockbuster, look familiar.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/packed-train-seconds-from-disaster-in-bridge-collapse-26560282.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Lower Glanmire Road now closed to all traffic after the wind damaged the Kent Station AND surrounding houses with tiles and brickwork still falling.

More damage has been done to the front of the dwelling than at the back where the station roof was destroyed.

Road Closed immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Yes, lets knock Shandon, St Finbarrs and UCC, who needs all these crappy old buildings?

Shandon, a well built tower that serves as a tourist spot and landmark.

St. Finbarrs, another incredibly built building that also serves the religious community, tourism, and is also a landmark.

UCC, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here seeing as UCC is like its own little mini city but sure whatever keeps ya happy.

Then we have Kent station, a crumbling building with no stand out features, its a train station where its main platform is curved and the only entrance/exit is onto a narrow two lane road that leads away from the city. But ya, lets keep it as it is cause it clearly cannot be improved to serve as the transport hub its whole purpose is for.

• Advertisement

Casualty being transported after treatment on site of accident at Kent Station

285113.jpg

. But ya, lets keep it as it is cause it clearly cannot be improved to serve as the transport hub its whole purpose is for.

It's actually among the last of its kind, and has appeared in numerous major motion pictures. All because it was not modernized.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,615 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope no one was hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Its on the 6 o clock news in a minute, it looks way worse on the news than the pictures, the roof actually fell onto a train:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

This is from the same people who brought us this blockbuster, look familiar.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/packed-train-seconds-from-disaster-in-bridge-collapse-26560282.html

Some first post that.

Whats your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Fabio

This post has been deleted.

A decision was made to keep the Quad open too though - original plans called for it to be closed but the lack of money and need for fresh air to enter meant to they kept the south side open to let the prevailing breeze and sun shine in. You have to remember, this was just as the Famine was taking hold so the last thing you wanted to do was stand around in a square of, what then would have been seen as, "stale air".

bladebrew wrote: »
    Its on the 6 o clock news in a minute.......

Took a bit longer than a minute for them to get to it. Over half an hour in fact. :mad:

Confused referendum voters and Ronnie Biggs are more important to RTÉ News it seems.

Now if it was Sidney Parade Dart Station...........................

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

Lapin wrote: »
    Took a bit longer than a minute for them to get to it. Over half an hour in fact. :mad:

Confused referendum voters and Ronnie Biggs are more important to RTÉ News it seems.

Now if it was Sidney Parade Dart Station...........................
    rte news at 6 wow does Cork exist I asked my self
    the train station was ripped apart steel was pulled up from the ground, dont think that was just a bad roof, you would just have to have been out in it to understand the severity of it, it was forceful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Red Nissan wrote: »
    It's actually among the last of its kind, and has appeared in numerous major motion pictures. All because it was not modernized.

What films, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

The great train robbery anyway. Don't know of any others.

• Advertisement

Ludo wrote: »
    The great train robbery anyway. Don't know of any others.

Michael Collins
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Ryan's Daughter

Are just a few that come to mind, they'd be small bit parts, people meeting at the platform, horse drawn coaches racing out showing a fleeting image of the building and so on.

I can see lots of scenes in my mind like two old Garda Cars arriving at the old gates but the film was set in Scotland for instance.

Pretty sure Pearse Station was used for Micheal Collins. Definitely didn't happen in Cork.
    The other movie was called 'The First Great Train Robbery' (as opposed to the Ronnie Biggs one)

Calling 96fm there was no mini tornado at Kent Station.

It was a squall line event with massive low pressure caused by torrential rain and the resultant widespread violent wind gust.

You have to start somewhere, what's your point?

You have to start somewhere,

True, and welcome.

what's your point?

I was just wondering what your post was about.

I don't see the significance of posting a link about the Malahide bridge collapse in a thread about storm damage in a different part of the country over four years later.

You say "This is from the same people who brought us this blockbuster, look familiar."

If that is a question, then the answer is a definite no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Lapin wrote: »
    True, and welcome.

I was just wondering what your post was about.

I don't see the significance of posting a link about the Malahide bridge collapse in a thread about storm damage in a different part of the country over four years later.

You say "This is from the same people who brought us this blockbuster, look familiar."

If that is a question, then the answer is a definite no.

Early to say what caused this yet and probably unwise to guess until the reports are issued. Certainly Iarnród Éireann's maintenance regime was questioned after Malahide, but that's not to say this could have been foreseen or was due to poor maintenance.

Hengerford on an similar thread posted the statement below.

Structural collapse should be a rare event, in the case of IE it seems to be anything but rare. It is reminiscent of infrastructure collapses in the US which was solely put down to poor maintenance. It would be interesting to see the budget allocation IE dedicate to maintenance over the past couple of years and how much this has fallen.

"My view is that it could easily be an act of God BUT I do think the maintenance angle has to be checked given what the RAIU investigations into the Cahir Viaduct collapse (2003), the Skerries Derailment (2007), and the Broadmeadow Viaduct collapse (2009) and the Wicklow Landslip (2009) found. This was a systematic failure to conduct maintenance and maintain proper maintenance records. I hope that RAIU investigate this incident."

I think we should wait for a report to come out, and give IE the benefit of the doubt in the meantime instead of being the whipping boy for everything. If the cat had kittens it's IE's fault.
    A few of the dwelling houses on the Lower Road sustained damage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Hengerford on an similar thread posted the statement below.

Structural collapse should be a rare event, in the case of IE it seems to be anything but rare. It is reminiscent of infrastructure collapses in the US which was solely put down to poor maintenance. It would be interesting to see the budget allocation IE dedicate to maintenance over the past couple of years and how much this has fallen.

"My view is that it could easily be an act of God BUT I do think the maintenance angle has to be checked given what the RAIU investigations into the Cahir Viaduct collapse (2003), the Skerries Derailment (2007), and the Broadmeadow Viaduct collapse (2009) and the Wicklow Landslip (2009) found. This was a systematic failure to conduct maintenance and maintain proper maintenance records. I hope that RAIU investigate this incident."

Ok I thought I'd made it subtly clear above that it's too early to lay the blame on anyone or anything for this. Obviously not subtle enough.

I won't allow this to turn into an Iarnród Eireann bashing thread and I'm now slightly concerned that your first three posts are all towards this purpose.

Please, no more along those lines or you may find your tenancy on boards cut very short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Calling 96fm there was no mini tornado at Kent Station.

It was a squall line event with massive low pressure caused by torrential rain and the resultant widespread violent wind gust.

That seems to be the consesus all right, the squall line went right up through the country.

I love Kent Station, I love the curving platform and I think it is a wonderful old building. They keep it very well, but it is hard to future proof against sudden intense violent winds that were at the right angle to catch the roof and bring it down. Stuff happens and it was very lucky injuries were not very serious.

Advertisement