Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why upgrade from SBS 2003/5?

• 18-12-2013 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

This could well be a dumb question, if so please excuse my lack of knowledge

We need to replace our server, due to storage capacity and regular Freezing issues. Do we really need to upgrade the SBS?

We are perfectly happy with all other aspects of use and software viz. ERP, CRM, time management, Adest document scanning, exchange/outlook email, web distribution etc.

Thanks

Peter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

HI Peter,

Whats the spec of hardware are you currently running, Have you Raid 1 or Raid 5 , dual CPU, whats the backup solution you have ?

How old is your current server. How many users have you got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Just read that MS are stopping support in q2/14 , which probably explains the sudden wider interest. The server is about 6 years old ( can get spec in the morning, if still relevant) and we have 11users + 3 system printers and 1 scanner connected.

Cheers

Peter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi Peter,

The reason someone will replace the server because some supplier scared the end user "oah,Microsoft will stop supporting your OS next year,you need to spend €xxxkkk to upgrade it" sometime ...is complete rubbish!
    SBS2003 is operational on my sites and i have no issues at all by not been supported by Microsoft !

You'll need a good & complex reason to replace a current working solution because of above reason.You're not a bank i guess and not running live 24/7 open exposed to internet' applications with many personal data and records and so on...you get my picture.Also the 3 years replacement cycle of the server hardware is not possible anymore,post recession.The hardware is getting rock solid in latest generations of the major leading suppliers,software by Microsoft very trusty and reliable (with so many less restarts to change something) ! :)

The reason that you're out there un-patched and un-secured,taking in consideration latest back-doors created by the NSA with Microsoft and other network vendors demonstrate that sometime your data may be safer with a hacker than with NSA & others... :)
    Randomly,these updates creates security holes for others to exploit "zero day" and for Microsoft (let's say in this case as an example) more work for next Tuesday series of Windows updates... Sorry,kidding here...maybe.

You have to look at what you have at the moment first ...create a "gap analysis" first ! What you want,needs and not lastly ,afford !

The business will create the request,it will come naturally...
    -the server is freezing:cooling,capacitors,power supply,tired hard drives or faulty RAM
    -the server OS freezing / crashing:issues with OS layer,complex to diagnose or not so easy to backup ,reinstall,recreate.
    -LoB application upgrades:the supplier won't support the older version,therefore forcing you to buy latest version that doe snot works on an older platform (hardware and software).
    -capacity increased/overload:since the server was installed,business IT operations have increased the volume of emails,data tripled (that's a good sign i hope) and the server had/have/has reached it's limitations / purpose

And i could keep going but is getting late..

As a general rule,when you buy a new server OS,you need a new server hardware due to x64 platform.,x32 is not supported by major hardware manufactures anymore.
    If you are happy with the software,buy a "big animal" with plenty of fast safe storage (2x256Gb(OS) & 2x512GB SSDs(APPS) + 2x2TB SATA/SAS drives(data)),big RAM (32Gb),quad 1GB NICs and decent CPU and power supply and mixed with Server 2012 Standard,begin converting HyperV P2V (Physical to Virtual) your running environment.
    That will save you a huge cost on software licenses if you own them today.

Also,you can buy new server hardware and software but more than likely,110% you'll be forced to upgrade most or all your LoB (Line of Business) applications,some desktop PCs may as well.IE,Office 2003 is not supported by SBS2011/Exchange with Outlook 2003...

Give us more info from your side to that we can process / digest here... :)

Of course,a small disclaimer and no liabilities from here...public and free advice,no guaranty that will fully and correctly apply to your business operation today and/or tomorrow.

Have fun...
    Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Now just read your PM! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Now just read your PM! :)
    Done.
    Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Outlook 2013 no longer works in the normal native mode with Exchange 2003.

So for any new machines you'll need to either buy old versions of office (2010 or 2007) or an ugly old volume license agreement which provides downgrade rights.

Advertisement