Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amplifier repair Cork

• 18-12-2013 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, would anyone know where would be a good place to get my amplifier fixed. It has some distortion in the right channel. I've brought it to av service twice... And both times said that they repaired it. So I'm looking to find somewhere else that can fix it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

calnand wrote: »
    Hi guys, would anyone know where would be a good place to get my amplifier fixed. It has some distortion in the right channel. I've brought it to av service twice... And both times said that they repaired it. So I'm looking to find somewhere else that can fix it. Thanks

check the output fuses for left/right channel. SWapping them will tel you if that's the issue. Cheap fix if it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If the repair shop found no issue then is it possible the problem was still at home ? Faulty speaker, interconnect (threw that one in for Slaphead ;) ) or source ? Or did they actually claim to have repaired something ? Did the problem appear to have been fixed when they returned it ?

Is it a newish model or something of Slapheads (and mine) vintage ? Perhaps a scratchy volume/balance/tone control or a selector/function switch in need of cleaning.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »

Is it a newish model or something of Slapheads (and mine) vintage ?

OI! :D While my preamp is a classic (ahem) my poweramp is only about 4 years old... even if it is a 20+ year old design!

I kinda assumed stuff like leads would have been eliminated. But yeah, what did the repair guys actually fix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

They said that they cleaned up all the connections and ran the amp through all the tests and that it was fine. The speakers are brand new so they're not the problem. Its a pioneer a307r amp.

calnand wrote: »
    They said that they cleaned up all the connections and ran the amp through all the tests and that it was fine. The speakers are brand new so they're not the problem. Its a pioneer a307r amp.

does it act up on all sources or just one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Is the sound distorted through headphones ? As mentioned above are all inputs distorted in the same way ?

While listening to a source through headphones try pressing the Direct button to see if the distortion changes in any way.

This amp used logic circuits to do the switching so I'm guessing the selector switches are not actually switching the audio signal path so contamination is unlikely to cause that type of distortion.

Any change to the distortion caused by pressing switches or changing conditions could be useful in the diagnosis.

Ken

Ok just checked all the sources and the distortion is present On all sources. Using headphones has distortion and pressing the direct switch doesn't change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭tmull

Try AVTV up by the airport. Phone and ask to speak to Ken. TMULL

tmull wrote: »
    Try AVTV up by the airport. Phone and ask to speak to Ken. TMULL

Thanks I'll get onto them after Christmas.

Advertisement