Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gym and pool Sligo

Options
  • 18-12-2013 5:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭

just recently moved to Sligo.
    Just outside the town.

looking for a gym and pool. I see I've a choice;

Sligo Park Hotel
    Avena Leisure
    Clarion
    Sligo Regional Sports Centre

Any recommendations?

One thing that does bother me are pools with too much chlorine, it effects my sinuous. Happens when too many kids have pee'd in the water - so if I can avoid that - brilliant!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

the radison and yeats hotel both in the roses point direction as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Thanks but I'm living the opposite side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

I've been through all of this, see my experience / observations below.
    johnmck wrote: »
    just recently moved to Sligo.
    Just outside the town.

looking for a gym and pool. I see I've a choice;

Sligo Park Hotel - Dated pool and gym. Pool's a funny distance think it's 17m or something.

Avena Leisure - Lovely pool, clean and 20m not too busy. Bit of a limited gym but overall the place is very clean and well kept.

Clarion - This is where I go. Gym is good, decent free weights section and cardio etc. Pool is quietish but getting busy with lessons lately. Water quality not always the best. Overall the centre is getting a bit run down.

Sligo Regional Sports Centre - Excellent 25m pool. Gym isnt great not an awful lot in there.

Radisson - Clean modern 20m pool. Gym is very small wouldn't do it for me.

Yeats Country - Decent gym. Pool is apparently way too hot for any decent swimming in.

Any recommendations?

One thing that does bother me are pools with too much chlorine, it effects my sinuous. Happens when too many kids have pee'd in the water - so if I can avoid that - brilliant!

promethius wrote: »
    I've been through all of this, see my experience / observations below.

Think I'll go with Avena

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I like the Clarion but the changing rooms are getting run down. I recently had a locker door fall onto me.
    Pool and gym are usually quiet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Just to note the Sligo Park recently got new equipment in their gym, and fitted out their fitness suite with TRX gear as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Where's Avena?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Where's Avena?

Ballysadare. Only opened a few years ago,

ectoraige wrote: »
    Just to note the Sligo Park recently got new equipment in their gym, and fitted out their fitness suite with TRX gear as well.

What's the pool like? How much is membership?

What's the pool like? How much is membership?

OK found it on their site. Will check it out in the new year. Will they give a trial pass I wonder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

OK found it on their site. Will check it out in the new year. Will they give a trial pass I wonder

Avena do. I used it when I was home on holidays. Sneaky I know!

Best place I was in when I was home was carrick. Decent set if free weights and machines.

Avena is ok for that but if there is anyone else there you are pretty much screwed.

The sports complex is probably the worst I have seen for free weights. It's a kip if you want my opinion.

Avena do. I used it when I was home on holidays. Sneaky I know!

Best place I was in when I was home was carrick. Decent set if free weights and machines.

Avena is ok for that but if there is anyone else there you are pretty much screwed.

The sports complex is probably the worst I have seen for free weights. It's a kip if you want my opinion.

You mean carrick on Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

You mean carrick on Shannon?

Yeah. The public pool there.

I know it's out of the way for most in here but it wasn't that much further for me than sligo

Advertisement