Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Dripping

Options
  • 18-12-2013 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Newbie here, I was hoping somebody could help me. Has anybody seen beef dripping for sale near Dublin/North East are. I want to try it for my roasties. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Avoca in Rathcoole have it. Have you tried your local butcher ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I'd say any bitcher would give you some.

Also known as suet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 EmilyM66

Thanks for the information. I'll try the local butchers before heading to Avoca, would you know if Avoca in Malahide stock it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I think it's James Whelan Butchers dripping they stock in Avoca and they have a concession in Avoca Rathcoole so it might not be available in the other ones

1451360_771963406153540_2016099156_n.jpg

Maybe drop them a line on their Facebook page and they could let you know

https://www.facebook.com/jameswhelanbutchers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My butcher has it, stupid price though. I get cheapo 28% high fat mince and do it in a george foreman and collect the fat, probably has more flavour in it than the processed stuff.

I have also done a full 800g pack in the oven, just ruffle it up so its all separated and roast it for 5-10mins, all the fat falls out the same way.

I find the oven & foreman give a cleaner fat than if I fried it.

• Advertisement

Buy the suet from a butcher (if they even charge for it!) and melt it down yourself. I wouldn't say beef fat would make tasty roast potatoes, poultry does the job, especially duck fat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Dermighty wrote: »
    I wouldn't say beef fat would make tasty roast potatoes!

Love beef fat roasties. Especially if they're let catch a little bit so you get burnt edges. It was how my granny made them though so it could be that love you develop for a food as a kid that you never shake off even if the food ultimately turns out to be not so amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Goose fat is best..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Buy the suet from a butcher (if they even charge for it!) and melt it down yourself. I wouldn't say beef fat would make tasty roast potatoes, poultry does the job, especially duck fat!

Beef dripping potatoes are one of the best treats you can get.

All this goose or duck fat nonsense....I don't find much difference in flavour to doing the roasties in sunflower oil.

I think you will find dripping is different to Kidney fat.

• Advertisement

Well I've had (beef) suet roast potatoes and they were bland.

regards duck fat roast potatoes tasting like sunflower oil roast potatoes...I can only disagree.

Well I've had (beef) suet roast potatoes and they were bland.

regards duck fat roast potatoes tasting like sunflower oil roast potatoes...I can only disagree.

You have clearly got my post confused.

I said that beef suet is not dripping, so no suet won't taste like dripping, and dripping is the best.

I also said I don't find much difference between duck fat and sunflower oil, I didn't say they taste the same, merely saying that there isn't enough if a difference to merit it.

Disagree all you like, surely the point of a forum is for people to have different views.

Although you did misread what I said in the first post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

If you steam the potatoes and really fluff up the edges by banging them around in a pot they absorb much more fat and the goose fat becomes much more noticeable.

cgarrad wrote: »
    If you steam the potatoes and really fluff up the edges by banging them around in a pot they absorb much more fat and the goose fat becomes much more noticeable.

But then that method applies to all cooking fats, we know how to cook roast potatoes in this house.

If it hadn't been for TV chefs extolling the virtues of goose fat then most people would never have heard of it.

I repeat my assertion that potatoes done properly in sunflower oil taste as good as goose fat ones.

And beef dripping is better.

Advertisement