Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Time running out!

• 18-12-2013 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, Not sure if this is in the right place but since it concerns my baby i'll just post here.
    I need to register the birth of my 6 week old son but I have no proof of identification. I recently moved house and lost my out of date passport. I don't have the money to get a new one either! (at 90 quid a pop, who does?) I don't drive so I don't have a drivers license so i'm really at a loss! I would like to register him before Christmas as by the time the clinic is open again he'll be 2 and a half months and the deadline is 3 :( I just need to know are there any forms of ID the Garda can issue me or are there any other forms of ID the clinic will take? Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Try ringing them - http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/bdm/contactus/

They may be able to tell you what you need to bring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Probably your own birth cert, also be aware that it is something like €25 I think to get their birth cert.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

I am not sure if it is the same now as 8 years ago but you had 12 months to register a childs birth.

I was still legally married but separated for years and needed my ex to sign a declaration the baby was not his, he refused so it was going to court, I was in a panic and was told I had 12 months to register the birth (he signed once I slapped a maintenance order on him for a child that was not his)

My daughter was nearly 5 months old when I registered her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

(he signed once I slapped a maintenance order on him for a child that was not his)

Brilliant

OP. Ring the hse, I assume plenty of people don't have a passport or drivers license so there has to be other options, maybe signed declaration etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5 VonSpurs

you definitely have 12 months to register a child, had a similar situation, was married and divorced in the US needed ex husband to sign saying baby was not his, total nightmare, but definitely have 12 months and if it goes over nothing will happen to you but you will not be able to apply for back pay children's allowance if it goes over the 12 months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

VonSpurs wrote: »
    you definitely have 12 months to register a child, had a similar situation, was married and divorced in the US needed ex husband to sign saying baby was not his, total nightmare, but definitely have 12 months and if it goes over nothing will happen to you but you will not be able to apply for back pay children's allowance if it goes over the 12 months

Hmm are you sure? I have birth last November and the registration letter very specifically said I had 3 months to register the birth. Perhaps the rules have changed since you had to register and now one only has the 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madisson

Its definitely 3 months. A garda can sign an ml10 form for you. You will have to bring household bills and bank cards and anything else with your name on it for them to sign it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You have 3 months to register a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Lots of conflicting posts here with no sources...

Here's a source:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/after_your_baby_is_born/registering_birth_your_baby.html

First paragraph "You will need to register the birth of your child no later than three months after his/her birth."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

My friend didn't register her daughter unill she was nearly 18mths. There was no big deal about it. She got all the child allowance back dated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

sari wrote: »
    My friend didn't register her daughter unill she was nearly 18mths. There was no big deal about it. She got all the child allowance back dated

When was this though? I think the three months is a recent enough thing.

As the link points out - you definitely only have three months. Can you pop into the gardai to declare your passport lost and see what they say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Her daughter just turned 3 so not that long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

sari wrote: »
    Her daughter just turned 3 so not that long ago.

Yeah, I think it changed more recently than that. As I and others have said it's definitely 3 months now. When I went in the first thing they asked me was whether I was within the 3 months as well.

I'd imagine it's in the op's best interests to register the birth too now as you will get the children's allowance sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 xBlameItOnTomx

Hi all,
    Sorry for the late reply, new baby and all :P I was looking on the HSE's website and I think if I sign the declaration saying my partner is the father, I can send him in alone to register the birth and (HOPEFULLY) he'll be the only one that would need ID (he has a current passport) It's worth a try at least :) Thanks for all the replies! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If you are not married you both need to go together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 xBlameItOnTomx

On the website they say the father can go alone if I sign a declaration stating that he's the father (form CRA2) and a declaration from him stating that he is the father (form CRA4)! All a lot of hassle but preferable to buying a new passport or trying to sort out bills and such in my name for an ML10!

Advertisement