Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in moneen filling station, castlebar 18/12/2013

Options
  • 18-12-2013 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

anybody hear anything about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Rte are carrying it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Same filling station had a pellet gun shooting a couple of months ago. Not saying it was a pettet gun this time but the story sounds similar to the last incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Shot gun. 3 shots were fired, looked in bad condition, not sure if he'll survive. Crazy stuff for the middle of the day, just glad no one else was injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

What can you do.

Open your mouth & you have Pavee point on you like a tonne of bricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

What can you do.

Open your mouth & you have Pavee point on you like a tonne of bricks.

One wonders why they keep shooting each other outside a petrol station with CCTV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: As always, no names mentioned or allegations which are not in the public arena.
    No warnings on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

CRCfm (the local radio station) are reporting the 26 year old man shot has passed away in Mayo General Hospital and a man is arrested.

Edit: not sure on the arrest part but they have the death now on their Facebook and twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FarCanal

DELETED is pretty scary to think this happened just before the schools let out.

I know of two other shootings in town very close to where I live that where kept fairly quiet to probably calm the situation but I suppose the Gardai can't keep a lid on feuds of this nature forever as they usually spill out dramatically.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Folks I have said it already and its been ignored. We don't want anything not common knowledge on the main news channels with this. We don't want town gossip with either.

one wonders where this will end.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    one wonders where this will end.

I'd be fairly sure there will be retaliation over the coming weeks.

I'd be fairly sure there will be retaliation over the coming weeks.

its inevitable.

I wonder what the Pavee Point spokesman is going to say on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

A&e staff will have their hands full tonight, there was war there after the last shooting. Gardai will be on high alert. If its who its rumoured to be trouble will be imminent

A&e staff will have their hands full tonight, there was war there after the last shooting. Gardai will be on high alert. If its who its rumoured to be trouble will be imminent

the mayo news states that its the brother of the guy shot the last time at the same garage.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19110:man-shot-in-castlebar-dies-in-hospital&catid=23:news&Itemid=46
    The 26-year-old man who was shot in broad daylight at a filling station in Castlebar earlier today has died from his injuries.
    The Mayo News understands the man died sometime after 8pm at Mayo General Hospital in Castlebar.
    The brazen shooting, believed to be connected to an ongoing Traveller feud, took place at the Top Oil filling station at Moneen in the town at approximately 3.30pm. The scene was sealed off for a technical examination.
    It is understood that the victim was shot three times in the back while he was filling a drum of water at the services area of the station. The victim is from the town of Castlebar.
    A dark-coloured estate car left the scene in the direction of Claremorris. Anyone who saw the incident or saw a car matching that description acting suspiciously is asked to contact Castlebar Garda Station on 094 9022222.
    The victim is 26-years-old. His younger brother was shot at the same petrol station last January. He made a full recovery. Both shootings are believed to be linked and part of an ongoing Traveller feud between a Castlebar-based Traveller family and a Ballina-based Traveller family. Another brother of the victim was shot in a separate incident in Castlebar this year. Locals in the town are extremely concerned this feud will now escalate. The very public nature of the shooting, close to a busy road and at a busy filling station, has added to local fears.
    A silver Toyota Corolla saloon, believed to be the victim’s car, remained at the scene earlier this evening as gardaí continued to examine the scene.

i think we might be getting the armed response unit down from dublin patrolling the streets at this rate.

Armed response units are stationed in claremorris.

Jeez can't be good for that shop, second shooting at the shop this year.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I count 6 murders in the county so far this year.

Armed response units are stationed in claremorris.

Jeez can't be good for that shop, second shooting at the shop this year.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I count 6 murders in the county so far this year.

people wont be going near the place now.

amazingly the mirror states the shop stayed open.:eek:

people wont be going near the place now.

amazingly the mirror states the shop stayed open.:eek:

It did indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Open for business, trading and providing a service to the people of Castlebar. They did not ask for that to happen on their premises. The company involved have invested a great deal of money into providing a good service to the people of Castlebar, why should they be made suffer. I'll surely get my paper there tomorrow, sad to see the loss of life of a young person, some elements of society really frustrate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Is this trouble being caused by families that were "relocated" to Castlebar? If so, I cannot understand how the people of the town stand for this. We have all heard the stories of children being bullied earlier in the year and a general increase in anti social activity.

Castlebar is a great town with good people but incidents like this tarnish it's image not matter what way you look at it.

yew_tree wrote: »
    Is this trouble being caused by families that were "relocated" to Castlebar? If so, I cannot understand how the people of the town stand for this. We have all heard the stories of children being bullied earlier in the year and a general increase in anti social activity.

Castlebar is a great town with good people but incidents like this tarnish it's image not matter what way you look at it.

I don't think it's a relocated family as that halting site has been there for years and if they were relocated it would be to a house.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's a relocated family as that halting site has been there for years and if they were relocated it would be to a house.

Think he is on about the other incidents.

Put it this way yew_tree, there are plenty of fools in Castlebar who have been causing issues for years, but because they are "local" it has been over looked or ignored as everyone knows everyone, but when a few outsiders come in and "start" then its a big issue, you have locals piggy backing on it now and causing issues and we have both locals and outsiders who are up to it.

Guards are powerless, as yesterday proved shootings now bring it to another level.

Though reading a post by a local councillor on FB last night you would swear it was the Wild West we lived in.

Your right Yop there has always been an element, but its getting ever so popular and brazen. It reminds me of a young Limerick man giving the two fingers to the camera during a court appearance in relation to a serous crime that he was later convicted.
    This country needs to ask its self is the punishment fit for the crime. I feel if it is not fitting, a lot more criminal offences are planned measured ones and not the stupid mistakes.

Certain members of our society who are obviously Caucasian and of Irish decent claim on one hand special entitlements for their lifestyle choice and on the other hand the need to be treated as equals, voice claims of discrimination and the wanting of equal rights on everything that is good but not taxing. I don't buy it.

I wont go into the issue any further because I feel our society is regulated in a way that disapproval of such occurrences is meet with anything other than a platform for free speech.

voz es wrote: »
    Your right Yop there has always been an element, but its getting ever so popular and brazen. It reminds me of a young Limerick man giving the two fingers to the camera during a court appearance in relation to a serous crime that he was later convicted.
    This country needs to ask its self is the punishment fit for the crime. I feel if it is not fitting, a lot more criminal offences are planned measured ones and not the stupid mistakes.

Certain members of our society who are obviously Caucasian and of Irish decent claim on one hand special entitlements for their lifestyle choice and on the other hand the need to be treated as equals, voice claims of discrimination and the wanting of equal rights on everything that is good but not taxing. I don't buy it.

I wont go into the issue any further because I feel our society is regulated in a way that disapproval of such occurrences is meet with anything other than a platform for free speech.

Westport used to be as quite as a mouse as were places like Louisburgh or Newport. Over the last 10 or 15 years there have been plenty of incidents in those towns which I'd never heard of or seen growing up and most were locals.
    Some young lads seem to have grudges with society and everyone is fair game, they aren't afraid of anyone and don't fear justice. Their parents have no control over them or even sadder where they think little Jonny is an angel.

The blow ins haven't helped, but they have been joined or copy catted by locals who are well well fit to cause havoc in the towns.

As said, the law is way too lenient on them, they get free legal and only join their buddies inside. They think its great.
    They still get their dole and soft life.

If it was a case where 17 year Wayno or Jayo have caused damage or a crime then their parents will have to pay, sell their house, take their dole, what ever it takes. No free legal aid, thats just an encouragement to them.

Castlebar is turning into many many towns throughout Ireland.

I just cant understand how the good people of the town stand for it. Castlebar is a fairly big town (by Irish standards) and I know town's of similar size would have similar anti social issues. I know a murder is a big step up from anti social stuff but it is still the image of the town that is at stake here.

A section of youths today which mainly come from backgrounds where Daddy and Mammy "Live" of the state and generally couldn't give two f*$ks about anyone else.

A few of these so and so's would want to be given real justice and not the one handed out by our so called Republic. I actually feel sorry for the cops who are bound by the law. Must be so frustrating to see the courts being very soft on crime.

Yet god forbid any of us normal working/middle class law abiding people not pay a TV License then the full weight of the law comes down on you.

It is hard to defend Castlebar at a time like this and there is a current or wave of negative opinion about the town, but its a good town with a rough element not a rough town. This is not a one off problem it is nation wide issue.

I will tell you what it is it is a town who's elected T.D happens to be running the country, it must be an awful embarrassment to him. To think his party who have been known to model them selves on law and order were at the helm at such a time where Castlebar's image is getting stained must be hitting home hard. I'm not for or against FG it's just a thought.

It is hard to defend Castlebar at a time like this and there is a current or wave of negative opinion about the town, but its a good town with a rough element not a rough town. This is not a one off problem it is nation wide issue.

I will tell you what it is it is a town who's elected T.D happens to be running the country, it must be an awful embarrassment to him. To think his party who have been known to model them selves on law and order were at the helm at such a time where Castlebar's image is getting stained must be hitting home hard. I'm not for or against FG it's just a thought.

Totally insulted from it all, once they get their Dail salary they don't give a toss, how can anyone on 120k+ per year and the same as a pension for the rest of their lives understand the "cold face".
    Guards have a harder and harder struggle and they are getting more violent.
    I have been in Italy and Turkey many times, I remember on a few occassions where "deicks" started fighting and throwing bottles etc, not major anti social behavior in the grand scheme of things, but them boys had cops with batons on them within 5 mins, they battered them into the back of the vans and shipped them off.

What would they do here...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I don't see the relevance to your point about Castlebar being the home of the Taoiseach. The facts of this case are that it is a closed feud between two families that happened to take it out on each other on the streets of Castlebar. I don't know why anyone should take embarrassment from that. It could have happened anywhere.

It's still wholly unacceptable of course.

yop wrote: »

What would they do here...

You see Ireland has turned into a Politically correct hole in general and any heavy handed approach by Gardai would result in a mixture of Joe Duffy cry out's followed by criminals suing the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Seen the name of the man who died has been named in a few news sources, if it is the person who I think it is, he was a year ahead of me in primary school. Sad to see another life lost in the space of a week in the area. Feel sorry for the petrol station as well, some people may be scared away from using it with two shootings happening their, it has a great deli. A few people round town need a good kick up the arse, left Castlebar recently myself and it seems nothing good is happening their at all. Such a pity, the county town of Mayo, and the place is falling apart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

I will tell you the facts, Drugs are all over Castlebar, serious crap is happening all the time, we are not far off some local hoods having guns.

Advertisement