If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refresh rate how important.

Options
  • 18-12-2013 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

Last night I was browsing a certain megastore - before I deal with you guys! :)

Just curious what is important to look out for on the newer tv's.

I can see big differences in price for same size models and the most obvious to me is the refresh rate - highest seen was 1600hz.

Lowest on newer smart tv's seems to be around 200hz.

Is there a magical number or optimal refresh rate we should look out for?

I did notice a difference in the quality between 200hz and 800hz/1000hz but not sure I noticed anything different between 800hz and 1600hz tbh.

I assume the leads going from the feed into the tv are very important?

In terms of size what offers the best value for money? I'd have a 65in any day of the week but others do not share my love of 'massive' tv's - I assume the greatest selection nowadays is around 50-55in and this is where the best value is?

I'm living in Dundalk near the border but would almost certainly buy the tv from UK or Belfast and am wondering will they work with a soarview box and if it might be possible to get the UK signal with a slightly better aerial. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Guvnor.

I like the window shopping idea, we really appreciate the opportunity of the business ! :)

There is a range of specs out there and I would totally agree with you in that there is quite a substantial difference between 200Hz and 800Hz. There can be a smaller gap between 800Hz and 1600Hz, depending on the manufacturer as some of the Panasonic processing is superb and their 1600Hz would outperform an 800 from the likes of LG.

In saying that, the best picture of any TV in a 50-55" size in is plasma.

The TXP50GT60 from Panasonic won the best Premium TV in the What Hifi awards but thanks to plasma technology, it's processing of motion is totally different and offers smoother and less digitised pictures.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/panasonic-tx-p50gt60b

My suggestion would be to look at this if you are looking for a top quality TV that beats the rest and offers all the features you would need. It's Saorview approved, Freeview HD and freesat and is currently £1199.95 with a free 5 year guarantee. Delivery would be Free depending on where you are in the country. A lot of models bought in NI are Saorview approved.

Cables do make a big difference also although, there is a limit. There is no point in spending £50 on an HDMI cable for your sky box when one at £20 will provide as good an image, but there is a benefit on spending £50 on one for your £300 blu ray player.

This may be a curve ball as it may not be one that was on your radar but you won't find a better 50" TV than that.

Hope that helps but any other questions, drop us a line.

.....we may be able to get one of these to you before Christmas if ordered before 11:00 am tomorrow.

Tempted ????

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Thanks for that Dave!

So plasma is alive and well!? :)

Nowadays all you really see is LED's.

I am away in the UK over Xmas but will be in touch in January and will pop into a Richersounds whilst over there.

50in a great size and now when you see so many LED's out there at 55 and even 60 - you hanker after something just that bit bigger but I reckon that for value sticking with 50in is the way to go.

One part says yes to a 60in but the other part says it is worth 2 x 50in's etc.

That 50in Panasonic looks fantastic - has all you could want and the 5 year guarantee makes a huge difference!

If one was looking for a second smaller TV what type would you recommend? Space is 30in wide and 21in high - currently has a 26in tv in there but wonder could a larger tv fit, maybe a slim 32in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

The TXP50GT60 from Panasonic won the best Premium TV in the What Hifi awards but thanks to plasma technology, it's processing of motion is totally different and offers smoother and less digitised pictures.

Hi Dave

Whats the power usage on this Plasma, and how does it compare power wise with a similar LCD

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

k123456 wrote: »

Hi Dave

Whats the power usage on this Plasma, and how does it compare power wise with a similar LCD
    K123456,

its a bit heavier okay ( there has to be a payoff somewhere)

Its approx power consumption in 0.3Watts in Standby / 185Watts going full tilt

If you compare the Sony KDL50W656 LED its slightly harder in standby at .45Watts but runs at 51Watts

The samsung 55F7000 is the sams as the Pana plasma in standby at 0.3Watts but its pretty frugal at 76 watts in action

All the power consumptions are on the www.richersounds.com site if you want to have a look,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cali_Em

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Thanks for that Dave!

So plasma is alive and well!? :)

Nowadays all you really see is LED's.

I am away in the UK over Xmas but will be in touch in January and will pop into a Richersounds whilst over there.

50in a great size and now when you see so many LED's out there at 55 and even 60 - you hanker after something just that bit bigger but I reckon that for value sticking with 50in is the way to go.

One part says yes to a 60in but the other part says it is worth 2 x 50in's etc.

That 50in Panasonic looks fantastic - has all you could want and the 5 year guarantee makes a huge difference!

If one was looking for a second smaller TV what type would you recommend? Space is 30in wide and 21in high - currently has a 26in tv in there but wonder could a larger tv fit, maybe a slim 32in?
    I had a 50" Panasonic plasma for the last 4 1/2 years and I'm currently replacing it with, surprise surprise another 50" Panasonic plasma! I couldn't speak highly enough of these tvs! Friends have bought newer LCD/LED tvs over the years and IMHO nothing came close to the quality of the image on the Panasonic.

Cali

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.