Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of finishing attic!

Options
  • 18-12-2013 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hello, i bought a house recently and it has a 60 sq m floored attic with a stira folding stairs and electricity! So I am curious to know how much it would cost roughly to make it habitable. So I would be looking at putting in a stairs, carpet/wooden floor, insulation/plaster board and plaster. I could tip away at furnishing it when all that was done! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

is there steel in it? engineers cert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭JR23

Johny 8 wrote: »
    is there steel in it? engineers cert?

Hi johny, there is no steel in it, just timber supports along the sides! Do your mean an engineers cert for after/before the work is done!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

ahh ok so you will be treating as a blank canvas then? 20-25k inc certs.

20 25k, really? I was thinking I didn't need to put steel in, I thought it would have been structurally ready to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

JR23 wrote: »
    20 25k, really? I was thinking I didn't need to put steel in, I thought it would have been structurally ready to go!

Only an engineer can tell you that, but I have been on a fair few certified jobs where the engineer put steel in.

• Advertisement

Looks like I may reevaluate things!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

I would be thinking by today's prices finished inc flooring, steel, 3 windows painted and the cert 12k to 16k depending on the spec

I have got two windows already, one velux and one at the gable end! Looks I may get an engineer in to see if I need steel, never considered the steel because the attic seems to have structural timber already in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

The steel supports the roof but also the new floor so your not walking on the ceiling below basically, don't rule out the steel at around 600 euro its not a major cost saving

600 is pretty good but the cost and the hassle of putting it in is putting me off the idea doing the attic altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I got a job done 4 years ago well over 100 square foot, stairs, 3 windows, finish, for 12500 or so. Inc steel. Awesome job.

Advertisement