Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to know....Fazz

Options
  • 18-12-2013 8:19pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not creative enough today to think of a witty thread title and technically it's been a week now so time to hand it over.

Previous threads in case yee want to torture anyone with more questions when they thought they were off the hook now!
    Kurt Godel
    littlemsfickle
    BTH
    Green&Red
    Catzweazle
    Dory
    Oryx
    RQ

What's your favourite flavour of crisps?
    Are you ever going to do another marathon?
    What do you do to chill out away from tri training?
    Ever participated in any other sports?
    Ultimate goal in tri? Are you planning to concentrate on long distance now?
    Are you enjoying the flexibility of being self coached?
    Do yo miss being coached?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

How do you find the time to do all that training?
    What was your best result in a tri?
    Favourite race?
    Most expensive piece of kit?
    Worst race and why?
    Have you ever had your appendix out?
    What colour is your underwear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I really don't think there's a lot to ask of moi but anyway this may be short and sweet if I'm lucky so! :D

Then I'll pass the whip on to Bambaata or Jackyback I reckon would be good! :)

What's your favourite flavour of crisps?

Not a huge crisp fan in general really.
    I buy the odd rare bag, and it would be purely whatever is there - be it hunky doreys sour cream and onion, or the odd bag of waffles maybe. Salt and Vinegar, I mean I'd eat them all but just not buy many...

Are you ever going to do another marathon?

Yes, does Sept 27th not count now if it's after a 112 mile bike?
    How Rude! :p:D

As for a standalone, yep, my sole attempt of 3:20 is just not acceptable in life really is it!?
    I won't target a standalone marathon until I get my ironman/triathlon fix and plan on that being for a few years yet so this may have to be a long term goal.
    All going well I'll beat my standalone time off the bike first ha! :pac:
    What do you do to chill out away from tri training?

Is there an "after dark" forum that this would be allowed print in? :P

I'm a dance/house music fan, movies, tv series, dinners out, I have more of a social life now that I plan my own training so also go out.
    Ever participated in any other sports?

Sort of.
    As a child/teenager I played most sports.
    School teams for GAA, Hurling, Soccer, dabbled briefly in athletics - I'm talking like pre/early teens.

Then I got into soccer quite a bit, played a lot, so much that I screwed my body up as it was growing and some nonsense about my bones growing faster/slower than my muscles due to doing too much sports.

This was when the Doc told me I had something called Osgood Schlaters Disease. I was like 12 or 13 years old.
    Named after a footballer apparently (Peter Osgood), and it was a lump on my knee that was exacerbated by exercise and would get sore and stiff afterwards. I was given gel which helped but the Doc told me there was nothing he could do.

So I had to give up sports for 9 months to let my muscles/bones catch up with each other. If I didn't I was told I'd have a permanent limp when older.
    So I did this, and went back 9 months later and same thing.
    Doc told me no choice, give up another 6 months and see....
    Seriously, not ideal for a teenager loving sports.
    Strangely never affected me cycling so always cycled to school regardless.

Anyway, long story still long :rolleyes: , I gave up sports for 2 years ish and then went back to everything as I moved to the UK and was doing GCSE PE (What a subject!).
    So from say 13-14 I did no sport (took up snooker for my sins).
    Back at 15 and did everything - soccer, hockey, volleyball, tennis, swimming (v little front crawl unfortunately for me I sucked!),

I kept up my love for snooker however so sport was not as important to me from 15 onwards and was just done as part of school curriculum and a bit of after school fun.
    Ultimate goal in tri? Are you planning to concentrate on long distance now?

Ultimate goal, probably the main reason I got into tri = Kona.
    Now that I'm going long at the end of next season, if all goes well then yes I will focus thereafter on long distance, but with some middle distance thrown in also to feed the racing fire hopefully.

It's an unknown though, long distance has broken many a man/woman so who knows how any of us will cope/react to it.
    But yeah, I'm preparing and if all goes well most of goals after 2014 will be long course orientated.
    Are you enjoying the flexibility of being self coached?

Yes. A lot.
    A few reasons are contributing to this:
    - controlling my own volume/stimulus (was a contentious disagreement point with previous coach as I had my own opinions/thoughts)
    - life balance, if I feel I need more sleep I take it and do a double in the evening instead.
    - Social life - I schedule my own plan to allow and accommodate for date nites, weekend days off, friends/social activities more etc.
    This was not an option really in the coached group environment - the schedule was dictated and you made it or you made the highway (and rightfully so, the coach puts in the time so you do too).
    - Training locations - UCD, the place is unreal. Best pool in the country, getting a lot more feedback on my stroke/swimming in 50m format also.

Do yo miss being coached?

I miss the group environment most I'd say.

There's no doubt, training in a group of like minded athletes is probably the best way to improve and enjoy training.
    There's banter, friends, fun, competition etc at most sessions.
    Great way to train.

Fortunately, I'm self motivated enough to do the work myself so I'm enjoying the planning my own sessions element.

It was definitely more convenient being told and coached here is the session/set/plan etc.
    However, I now no longer have my doubts on I should be running more, or could I get more value from doing this instead etc.

I also have much less commuting now so save around 3+ hours a week and more which is more time for my training/social life so presently, my method is suiting me the finest.

Oryx wrote: »
    How do you find the time to do all that training?

If I look back to my life before I trained so much, what has changed...
    - less tv
    - better work/life balance
    - less social media/internet/time sapping waste
    - less sleep

That's really about it.
    It's a lifestyle choice. Anyone can do it barring other commitments.
    I don't have many other commitments so am happy to devote a fair amount of my spare time to triathlon.
    No kids. No wife :D

What was your best result in a tri?

Best... Well, so far I'd class my 2 best races as:
    - Tri an Mhi Middle Dist Champs'13
    3rd place, led off the bike, loved it.

- Lost Sheep'13
    5th place, v competitive field, not my best performance but relatively consistent all round, and just plain loved the course/race.

I guess technically, winning Humbert Challenge Middle Distance'13 was my best result. But the field was weaker than both of the above and I'm more motivated by stronger fields and measuring my performance against the best available.
    Favourite race?

Lost Sheep and Kilkee.
    Both epic courses, both guaranteed competitive fields, both the most popular amongst seasoned athletes for very good reason.

And both National Championships in 2014!
    I will be there and hopefully out for damage.

Most expensive piece of kit?

Ha, an easy one here...
    My Specialized S-Works Shiv Tri with Di2.
    Technically it also has a Quarq power meter, Garmin 500, Zipp wheels, etc but these were added individually at other times.

So basically, I love my bike bling! Went and splashed out knowing you only get one chance and don't regret it one bit!

I did get looked after by Cycleways in fairness thankfully.

Worst race and why?

Hmmm....

Good question.
    If I take out my first season of racing where I didn't know what I was doing, and was exiting the water firmly in bottom 20% of the field...

Kilkee'13.

Appaling swim - poor sighting (I didn't!), poor stroke, poor everything.
    Exited the water around 2-3 mins down on training buddies I had been matching in the pool. This cost me a top 5 shot.

Bike. Lacklustre performance. Power down on what it should have been but in saying that I was focussed on 70.3 mainly for the season.
    Example - 261 watts held for Tri an Mhi half. 274 (I think) watts held for Kilkee Olympic. Should have been closer to 280-285 really. Wasn't impressed with myself.

Run - not too bad.

Blacksod'13 would also qualify with similar summaries but it was end of season and I had wound down so have blocked that out of my mind... :D;)

Have you ever had your appendix out?

Nope. 1 operation = broken nose... a drunken mishap of my own doing... :rolleyes:

What colour is your underwear?

Black, when I'm wearing some.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

How long have you been doing triiathlon?

How does your first full season compare to last season?

In which race have you seen the biggest improvement, say from the first time you did kilkee to the last time you did it?

Beatles or the Stones?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

- When was the last time you rode your bike outdoors?:eek:\
    - If you could choose between a woman and a turbo - which would you choose?

• Advertisement

StaggerLee wrote: »
    How long have you been doing triathlon?

My first race was Focus Ireland Sprint in August 2010.
    I managed to do 3 more sprints before the season ended then.
    So 3 and a bit years now, or 3 full seasons.

How does your first full season compare to last season?

In 2011, I was typically exiting the water in the bottom third of the pack or worse.
    I'd pass a lot on the bike and maybe hold my own or lose a few places on the run.
    Average result - probably around 90th-110th depending on field/race.

Comparing to this season, I guess I've made some good progress.
    I was fighting for top 5 in most races and think I finished top 10 in every race I did so certainly very happy with progress.

Training wise I went from around 10 or so hours per week in 2011 to 16 in 2013.
    Key improvement makers for me have been:
    - Consistency
    - Dedication
    - Coached the last 2 years so doing the right stuff in the right quantities at the right time etc.

In which race have you seen the biggest improvement, say from the first time you did kilkee to the last time you did it?

Kilkee would be a good progress marker alright as I did it in 2011 and this season.

2011: - 122nd Place (think 110th ish exc relays)

Swim 31:19 (short)
    Bike 1:18:49
    Run 45:01

Total 2:37:15

2013: - 9th Place (exc relays)

Swim 25:34 (short)
    Bike 1:08:40
    Run 38:33

Total 2:14:20

To be honest I had a very bad swim in 2013 and should have been much better.
    Lost 3 mins to guys I had been matching in the pool and this cost me a top 5 shot.

Nonetheless, v happy with progress made in 2 years comparison.
    Beatles or the Stones?

Beatles I guess but neither would be part of my library I'm afraid... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

What are your stats? Height, weight, hair colour.
    Red or white wine?
    Dark or milk chocolate?
    Marmite?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

How fast do you think you could go on your best day at a course like Miami (nice and flat) over 70.1? and on your best day in full ironman?

Now that your self coached do you ever see yourself taking on people to coach??

What do you put the success of the base2race academy down to? Have they picked the right athletes or is it the coaching? Combination of both?

What are your stats? Height, weight, hair colour.
    Red or white wine?
    Dark or milk chocolate?
    Marmite?

Height - 174cm/5ft 8.5 (you count the .5 if under 5'10 or so I reckon :) )

Weight - float between 65-67kg. Off season up to 69.5. Race weight 64kg ish.

Dark brown hair.

White wine, not a red drinker.

Dark or milk Chocolate? - Yes. :D

Not a marmite eater myself.

joey100 wrote: »
    How fast do you think you could go on your best day at a course like Miami (nice and flat) over 70.1? and on your best day in full ironman?

Miami is not nice and flat ;)

Bike yes, but it was a gridlock draftfest unfortunately.
    Run has a little kicker of a bridge and wind and twisty turns so not the fastest.

But anyway, on a flat and fast course I reckon in 2014 I should be capable of
    28 swim
    2:15 bike
    1:20 run

So 4:10 ish I imagine hopefully.
    But I don't plan many flat races..

Full ironman impossible to say it may break me, or it may suit me.
    I'd like to think I'll have a sub 9 on right course if I take to the distance.

Now that your self coached do you ever see yourself taking on people to coach??

Hmmm, haven't thought about it yet.
    I enjoy planning and so on but at present no coaching thoughts. It may interest me in the future if I actually prove I'm capable.

I enjoy everything triathlon, but to do coaching correctly requires a lot of time imo which I do not have for a while anyway.
    What do you put the success of the base2race academy down to? Have they picked the right athletes or is it the coaching? Combination of both?

Granted most of the B2R crew are of strong skilset, but others not so.
    I wouldn't have had a particularly strong background in fairness but others certainly very strong.

The coaching is top class no doubt about it.
    Eanna puts as much time, attention and methodical thought into each plan as I do into my training.
    It's a massive effort and he is very good at it and enjoys it clearly.
    I'd swear he thinks more about coaching than I do about triathlon which was saying a lot.
    Seriously dedicated and talented coach.

In addition, take like minded athletes, put them in a group with a great coach and really there's a recipe for success.

Primarily, you have athletes training very consistently and under top coaching doing 15-20hours a week.
    Bound to have success.

Part of the key is in the mandatory sessions.
    3 swims, 1 turbo, 1-2runs and the odd bike all under coached guidance.
    Long bikes requiring hr files in some cases to be sent to coach.
    Regular strength and conditioning.
    Bodyfat pinch test at turbo sessions for all to see became a humour point :D

Seriously great training environment and all factors combine and contribute towards success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

What do you plan on changing in your training in 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi Fazz! :)

What is your best to worst discipline - swim, bike, run?

Any pre-race/race rituals or superstitions?

What is your secret weapon in a race? And, are you tougher mentally or physically?

So, you've never done a full iron distance event? If not, have you signed up for one yet....OR, when do you anticipate you will?

With Kona being your goal, when do you think you can realistically qualify for the big event assuming all goes well? And do you have a feel for which IM event will qualify you for it?

Do you ever paint your toenails? If so, what is your favorite color?

Brunettes, blondes, or red heads?

All the girls swoon over Bambaata and his flying mount/dismount....which begs the question: what move do you do that all the girls swoon over?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Fazz is it still correct that if you put your bike in your car that you tripple the value of your car ?

whats your opinion that the brownlees typically train once a week in a 20m pool ?

why did you in a perfectly paced 9 x 400 m session suddently go flat out for no 7, and why did you go off 7.10 ?

good luck for 2014 there is no doubt that you will get faster with your drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Dory Dory wrote: »
    All the girls swoon over Bambaata and his flying mount/

:D:D:D;););)

For Fazz

1) Who are the top three age groupers in the country in your opinion
    2) Favourite movie
    3) Favourite movie character
    4) How will KT get on in his move to pro
    5) Bucket list race in all Triathlon distances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

What are your views on the water temp rules used by TI (and the many ensuing swim cancellations)?
    Ever thrown a shot, hammer, or javelin?
    Favourite swim set?
    How long can you swim underwater on one breath?
    Best ever bike downhill?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

How long can you hold a plank for after reading this?
    How many consecutive cream eggs do you think you could eat before you give up or throw up?
    What is your absolute Max 5sec wattage on the bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

How long do you see yourself in the sport?
    What do you work at?
    Cookie dough or honeycomb ice cream?
    How did you last so long in a challenging coaching setup, must be hard committing to group sessions like you did?
    Are you taking a periodised approach to training?

tunney wrote: »
    What do you plan on changing in your training in 2014?

Hmmm... interesting one..

Initial answer is straight forward - more run volume/frequency.

Thoughtful answer has a lot more detail, in such I feel I'm suited to:
    - increased frequency and tailored swim
    - Maintain bike intensity all race season
    - increase bike volume a bit
    - increased strength and conditioning
    - increased run hills, longer, frequency, volume, threshold sessions.

The main and hardest issue I will have is knowing when to adjust to build, and when to up efforts etc so that I can time peak best.

Overall summary would be maintain consistency, add a bit of volume/frequency to my limiters whilst increasing strength and conditioning.

Hi Fazz! :)

Hey Dory Dory wassuupppp? :)
    What is your best to worst discipline - swim, bike, run?

Best - Bike
    2nd - Run - just about
    Worst - Swim

However, I feel I've the most potential/untapped speed in:

1st - Run
    2nd - Bike
    3rd - Swim

Ongoing work in progress.

Any pre-race/race rituals or superstitions?

Funny one, I tried a few things this year.
    From the, right, music in lets get in the zone method...
    To the, stay away from others try keep in my own zone.
    To the catch up with friends, stay relaxed and enjoy myself approach.

Ultimately, the catch up, enjoy myself approach seemed to work best for me.
    I'm a pretty laid back guy in general, don't stress, don't worry about things and try to stay positive.

They say too many distractions before a race can sap energy.
    Maybe so, maybe only if you're of that mentality.

No superstitions.

So my Pre race ritual is a work in progress at the mo.

What is your secret weapon in a race? And, are you tougher mentally or physically?

Secret Weapon?

Not really.
    I guess I love biking hard and can suffer.

Prob more mental strength hopefully but the body just hasn't had the fitness to match it yet :D;)

So, you've never done a full iron distance event? If not, have you signed up for one yet....OR, when do you anticipate you will?

This season is trying to peak late for end of August Irish Half Ironman Middle Distance Champs.

Thereafter, try carry peak into next race 4 weeks later - first taster at ironman:

Mallorca Ironman - 27th September 2014.

With Kona being your goal, when do you think you can realistically qualify for the big event assuming all goes well? And do you have a feel for which IM event will qualify you for it?

I do absolutely think I can qualify - but I'm also humbled by the distance having never attempted it yet and seen it break many others.
    I believe it will suit me, providing I can build enough strength primarily for run but also bike to last the distances competitively.

Which IM event?
    Well, me being lighter than your average the tactically astute race would be one with hills on the bike, and a flat run where possible....

Mallorca you ask??? Course not announced yet.
    Probability? - hilly bike, flat run... ;):o
    Do you ever paint your toenails? If so, what is your favorite color?

Seriously?
    You know I'm a guy right??

WEIRDEST QUESTION AWARD NOW CONFIRMED... :D :P

Brunettes, blondes, or red heads?

YES :D;)

This is where I say about personality right?

Yeah, Brunette's. Harder to find but worth it when you do.

All the girls swoon over Bambaata and his flying mount/dismount....which begs the question: what move do you do that all the girls swoon over?

:D

Have you seen BTH and his flying mount?
    That man has got it down let me tell ya....!

I move a mean roly poly when drunk.

This one time, at a session we all went outside to the neighbours to ahem "borrow" their huge trampoline... :o
    Well, my hands were empty so I went back to the fridge for another large bottle of bulmers for the walk across the road...
    Everyone was down the bottom of this S shaped drive so I had to play catch up?
    Quick brain... quickest way down the hill...?
    Racing Line. Right, Roly Poly down the Racing Line and I'll meet them at the bottom...

Many tumbles later, I make it to the bottom, stand up, Bulmers in hand (open), take a swig then proceed to walk sideways towards the trampoline house....

Good times.

peter kern wrote: »
    Fazz is it still correct that if you put your bike in your car that you tripple the value of your car ?

:D Harsh on my motor vehicle!

But no... it only doubles the value Peter.... Priorities ;):D
    whats your opinion that the brownlees typically train once a week in a 20m pool ?

Do they?
    Hmmm.. I guess if you're swimming 6-7 times a week then once in a 20m would be a refreshing change for some fun and free speed.
    Maybe it's a convenience thing for them?

On a personal experience note, I am seeing much more feedback and value from a 50m pool than a 25m. Maybe it gives me more time to think, maybe more time to swim thus learn more.

I've also heard of training groups who when going from 50m to 25m would add in more training/sets to get the same return they'd feel from the long course.

why did you in a perfectly paced 9 x 400 m session suddently go flat out for no 7, and why did you go off 7.10 ?

In rep 7 my 2 swim partners had finished.
    I was feeling good and said I'd try a hard one as wanted to do a sort of TT without dedicating a set to it.
    I had been going a little easy in the preceding ones and knew I had more pace.

That, and I like to have fun. It's nice for a mental lift and confidence boost to push yourself when feeling strong and seeing what's there - even if at/near the end of a set.

It's not anything new, though typically would be a last rep thing where if in the B2R group and we're on a last rep I'd push it a bit if feeling strong.
    The valuable part of set is done, and it's time for some fun.

If you can't have fun, you ain't gonna last long.
    good luck for 2014 there is no doubt that you will get faster with your drive.

Thanks Peter. Won't be easy but hopefully I can push to new levels.

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    What are your views on the water temp rules used by TI (and the many ensuing swim cancellations)?

My views are the water temps do not cater for our climate or race calendar.

Either plan races later when water temps suffice, or lower rules to allow for reasonable temps providing safety measures in place and athletes sign waivers etc - at least for NC races.
    Obv, swim's get shortened/cancelled in many parts of the world so it is a part of the sport. But it would be nice if our NC races weren't subject to these and TI have listened to this and applied it for 2014 so good on them.
    Ever thrown a shot, hammer, or javelin?

Yes - Javelin and Shot - in school doing GCSE PE in UK.

Pretty rubbish across the board... :D

Favourite swim set?

I'm starting to like swimming as of late more than previously.

Strangely, there's something satisfying about 10 x 400's.

I'm a fan of 30 x 100's also but perhaps most so of TT's.
    Nothing like them.

Most dreaded but sickly enjoyed swim set?

20 x 100 off 2min's - as all out best average pace held.
    This was literally a lung buster using every second panting and holding on for dear life. I love hard sessions the most.
    How long can you swim underwater on one breath?

Only ever tried in a 25m and I can make the full length but not with much to spare...
    Best ever bike downhill?

Sorry - slightly confused on this one...
    If you mean a downhill race then I've never done one.

If you mean race/course then it would be Wiesbaden 70.3
    Epic bike course, think I exceeded 80kph coming down main climb in tri bars - one of those hills you have to commit to in the TT extensions balls out no braking options.
    If you don't (as I didn't in practise when learning it), you get speed wobbles from lack of balance/weight on bike.

I had one other moment on the same course - pushing hard coming down a twisty bend from a medium right to a sharp left.
    I was up on the bars and brakes, wasn't going to make it and was heading for the barriers and crowd...
    No choice but to lock up the rear brake and adjust line - somewhat accidentally/on reflex.
    Rear locks up, I skid sideways towards barrier letting go of brake just in time to have line corrected and make the sharp left without hitting kerb..

Fun moment, got a few ahhhs and oooh's as crowd thought they were gonna get hopped!
    Looked back to see a guy on my tail who comes up beside, shakes his head and laughs something in German....

Typically not a fast descender, but working on it all the same and in a race it's kinda different..

How long can you hold a plank for after reading this?

Sorry it's late - did 5 mins earlier in the arms straight position before getting bored.
    Hip flexor was actually getting tight so prob wouldn't have lasted much longer.

How many consecutive cream eggs do you think you could eat before you give up or throw up?

Hmmm... I've a strong stomach typically so throwing up is out the window...

I don't think 10 would be a problem.... thereafter they may get sickly!
    Let's go with 12! :D

What is your absolute Max 5sec wattage on the bike?

Not my strong point having a weight disadvantage and lack of strength/muscle compared to the fast twitch beasts...

I hit 1,032 on the Lemond trainer's in B2R, but that was 888 watts in my Quarq real money...

Not gonna blow anyone's lights out there so it's the longer duration stuff for me!... :D

How long do you see yourself in the sport?

I love triathlon. All going well I see myself in the sport for quite some years ahead. I wouldn't put a number on it as life can change but for now it's very enjoyable and I wouldn't change it or do without it.
    What do you work at?

I'm a numbers guy - Financial Controller.
    Cookie dough or honeycomb ice cream?

Now where would one get this honeycomb ice cream?
    I had a dessert tonight of salted caramel with honeycomb and pecan sundae...
    Man was it good!

But I'm a cookies and cream fan so that would prob edge it.

Now have you tried Haagan Daas Mint leaves and Choc pieces? ;) :pac:
    How did you last so long in a challenging coaching setup, must be hard committing to group sessions like you did?

It wasn't hard committing to group sessions as they were so enjoyable and I'd be doing them on my own regardless.

The hard part was the commute, the costs, the time but I only really thought about those things nearer the end.

If the location suits and you don't see it as a problem, then there is no problem or hard part.

I am ambitious and want to find the shortest but smartest way to progression, the B2R group I was fortunate to join was definitely that.
    It was never a chore.
    Even as mindframe changed, it wasn't a chore so much a change in mindframe/opinion on how I wanted to progress and proceed.
    Are you taking a periodised approach to training?

Primarily yes.

I believe there is a part for strength/speed year round but at a low % when looking to build the aerobic base.
    So I still do 1 hard turbo a week where I will tap into Zone 4 or 5 or both most of the year round.

I'm not doing this with swim or run just yet as I am prioritising volume/technique improvements first.
    Once these are in place, then I will be applying a similar approach.

I plan to simply adjust the % then as the season progresses.

E.G - Dec/Jan/Feb - ~10% speed and increase this % as periods progress.

catweazle wrote: »
    :D:D:D;););)

Is that a reference to my first flying mount attempt in Athy per chance...?
    :D;):D:D:D

For Fazz
    1) Who are the top three age groupers in the country in your opinion

Too open ended a question really as distances dictate but to sum up in a rough approx:

Bryan McCrystal in fairness is unreal.
    Kevin Thornton up to Olympic so far is unmatched.
    Rory Sexton probably the next best up to Olympic

Ironman - Liam Dolan
    2) Favourite movie

Probably Old School. Classic.
    3) Favourite movie character

Batman.... Always be Batman.... :D

4) How will KT get on in his move to pro

Not sure he's moving to "pro" per say.
    I imagine 2014 will be the year to decide if he does that, as I'd guess he will race as Age Grouper who is fortunate enough to only work 2 or less days per week and can dedicate the rest of his time to seeing how good he can get.

AFAIK, he is primarily racing 70.3 in 2014 so it's difficult to say how he will get on.

I'd hazard a solid guess that very well will be the answer, he's got the swim, his bike is there just not proven at that distance yet and his run is improving and getting there.
    His main disadvantage is his size and muscle mass over the longer distances.
    This is also part of his strength and where he gets his power of course so it will be interesting to see his transition.

He's got a lot of talent, a lot of opportunity, a lot of training time and a superb coach.

All the ingredients are there for success and I imagine he will be winning Age Group's and hopefully closing in on the Pro's by the end of the season.

5) Bucket list race in all Triathlon distances?

1 - Kona
    2 - Roth
    3 - Wildflower 70.3
    4 - Austria IM
    5 - Abu Dhabi long course (3k, 200k, 20k)

All appeal strongly to me.

Wiesbaden is a superb course and I'd like to race that again also.

So many races worldwide.... Almost a case of matching a destination country and you will find a 70.3/im to race there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

thanks !

yes they swim in 20 m pool for a specific reason which i think is really smart and not for convinience. Leeds is not as good for tri swimming than Dublin ;-0

Fazz wrote: »
    :D Harsh on my motor vehicle!

But no... it only doubles the value Peter.... Priorities ;):D

Do they?
    Hmmm.. I guess if you're swimming 6-7 times a week then once in a 20m would be a refreshing change for some fun and free speed.
    Maybe it's a convenience thing for them?

On a personal experience note, I am seeing much more feedback and value from a 50m pool than a 25m. Maybe it gives me more time to think, maybe more time to swim thus learn more.

I've also heard of training groups who when going from 50m to 25m would add in more training/sets to get the same return they'd feel from the long course.

In rep 7 my 2 swim partners had finished.
    I was feeling good and said I'd try a hard one as wanted to do a sort of TT without dedicating a set to it.
    I had been going a little easy in the preceding ones and knew I had more pace.

That, and I like to have fun. It's nice for a mental lift and confidence boost to push yourself when feeling strong and seeing what's there - even if at/near the end of a set.

It's not anything new, though typically would be a last rep thing where if in the B2R group and we're on a last rep I'd push it a bit if feeling strong.
    The valuable part of set is done, and it's time for some fun.

If you can't have fun, you ain't gonna last long.

Thanks Peter. Won't be easy but hopefully I can push to new levels.

Sorry for delay - nearly missed this one.
    trinewbie wrote: »
    - When was the last time you rode your bike outdoors?:eek:\

Ha... good point.
    It has been over a month now which is the longest ever for me.

However it is an approach thing - I've decided to let my bike go a bit, and completely dialled back the volume and endurance.
    This is in favour of sorting my limiters out - strength, conditioning, swim, run.

As a result my biking has been 4-5 hours per week the last few weeks, and with no ride over 2.5 hours.
    In order to save time, and because I love the turbo and get quite some quality out of it I just did my 1-2 hours on the turbo.
    Saves getting gear ready, bike prepped, etc.

I love the great outdoors though and once endurance rides are back in it will be off to Wicklow mountains for me, snow/ice permitting!

trinewbie wrote: »
    - If you could choose between a woman and a turbo - which would you choose?

Ha... I'm a red blooded male and whilst a turbo can fuel many of my training needs, there are many others only a hot woman can address!

Let me rebuke...

If I could chose between a 3.5 hr ride outdoors, and a 2.5 hour turbo of equal quality with more time freed up for a lady friend then it will be option 2.... ;):D

I love biking outdoors, I enjoy the scenery being fortunate enough to be heading up hills as I go out the door - same as runs.

I also appreciate a quality session on the turbo and seem to love it more than most and get good return from it so I have the luxury if time sensitive of either option.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keelang

Well!
    Do you use your tri bike on the turbo trainer?
    What sessions do you feel are a must to keep making gains ?:)

keelang wrote: »
    Well!
    Do you use your tri bike on the turbo trainer?
    What sessions do you feel are a must to keep making gains ?:)

Yes I use my tri bike on the Turbo all year round.
    The only time my roadie makes it is if tri bike is in for a service.
    I race on it so I'm damn sure gonna be as comfortable as poss with it.

Sessions:

As a general rule for all I'd say:

Swim - 20/30/40 x 100's off x:xx (10 secs rec ish).
    Also 6/8/10 x 400's off x:xx (20-40secs rec)

Bike - 1 x hard turbo that varies but is hard. I mean box sets ain't possible hard.
    If you're not sweating out your forearms you're not working.

Various guises from 30-60min rolling efforts with no recovery to intervals with short recoveries.

Prob a long ride then too, more is more.

Run - hills/mountains. And a faster effort when plan schedules it.

As a more personal note, I'm adopting all of the above and some other key sessions to address my individual limiters/areas for improvement.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Favorite food?
    Morning or evening person?
    Worst habit?
    What do you want for Christmas?
    What do you know now that you wish youd known five years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Will you be sponsored or have you sought sponsorship for the coming season?
    How exactly did you go about joining the Base2Race academy? Were there any standards you had to meet?
    Do you think you would have achieved the results you did last season had you been self coached?
    How did you approach longer bike rides when you trained for HIM races?
    How will your approach differ as you prepare for full iron distance?

Advertisement