Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stuck with 4.1, cant download any apps

• 18-12-2013 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Wondering if theres any way of upgrading a jailbroken 4.1 to version 6+ or something. Went to two places, both gave different answers.

Or even if its possible to download older apps (Whats app or skype for example) because all the newer ones wont install on the phone?

Any help would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

Do you mind losing the jailbreak?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭iqmdublin

dont mind at all if its possible. im with 3 at the moment, not sure what it was before, will I not be stuck to a different company possibly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

iqmdublin wrote: »
    dont mind at all if its possible. im with 3 at the moment, not sure what it was before, will I not be stuck to a different company possibly?

Thats the baseband unlocked that allows you too put any sim in. A jailbreak is different and a jailbreak on its own will not allow you put any sim in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 Celtic_Repairs

This is the problem with a Jailbroken iPhone. You can never update the ios on the phone to keep upto date with apples updates. If you have a iPhone 3g then your ios wont update to take the apps on a 3gs even back on the original sim provider. A 3gs can go to 6.13 and the 4 will take the new ios but it does slow the phone down a lot in some case's.

So, if you plug your phone into itune and restore it, If its a 3g it won't really benifit you and you will have to know what was the original provider that it was on to activate the iPhone again (the same in all case's if you choose to restore the phone)

If its a 3gs or higher, then you can restore it and try different sims in it to activate it. Try some of your friends sim cards, it can only be a few and since o2, Vodafone and meter are the popular ones they should be easy to get and if you get stuck just go into the o2, Vodafone ect shops and they will give you a sim for it

You can update your system in Cydia its the app on the phone, check for updates and you can download different apps their for your phone.

Hope this jargan can help you out

So found out the phone was originally with Vodafone
    Got in touch with them, they didn't want to help at all, as theres a process to unlocking iphones that they have regulated for their customers and excustomers (has to be after X amount on credit spent, or only until X amount of time etc etc)

Going down the jailbroken road isn't an option obviously, because its a dead end when it comes to this and upgrading ios

So the solution I now have is probably what I should have done in the beginning, and go into a phone unlocking place.
    Theres a place in town thats offering to do it for 40euro.
    Funny how none of the shops I went in to before could have just told me all of this?

He said its 40 euro, gets the Iphone 3gs up to 6.1 and happy days?
    Can download apps again and use the phone without the apparently prehistoric ios 4.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

Is the model of your phone a 3g or 3gs.if it is a 3g it can not go above 4.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

Is the model of your phone a 3g or 3gs.if it is a 3g it can not go above 4.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Must be a 3GS if it was sold on vodafone.

3gs

What are you trying to do with the phone and what network do you want to use it on?

• Advertisement

Like the original post says, get off 4.1 any way I can so I can use the phone again. No app will run on 4.1 now
    And I'm with tesco

Simple so. Just update it in iTunes. Syncron.ie will unlock it for €36.99

if i try to to update it first itll get locked to vodafone no? meaning i couldnt use it, and might have trouble unlocking it?
    should i not to unlock it first, then update?

Well yes but you will have to wait a few days for it to be unlocked.

Advertisement