Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this true or am i being told porkies?

Options
  • 18-12-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

so i was chatting to one of them microsoft people and i was asking them if i can upgrade to windows 8 from an unactivated windows 7 and she said yes i could as i get a new key with the windows 8 upgrade.

i came here to ask if this is true or am i being told this just to be made into buying it:confused: ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

i would have thought you would need a valid win 7 key to allow an upgrade, else why would they not sell you a full win 8 install for extra

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭garde2k10

i would have thought you would need a valid win 7 key to allow an upgrade, else why would they not sell you a full win 8 install for extra

she said you could use the free 30 day trial and upgrade using the windows 8 upgrade and said you didnt need to have windows 7 activated because you get a product key with the upgrade:eek: doesnt sound right is hwy i asked:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

sounds ok to me. as long as you have a valid win 8 key.it should work fine.
    I've often done it from unactivated xp to win 7.

Skatedude wrote: »
    sounds ok to me. as long as you have a valid win 8 key.it should work fine.
    I've often done it from unactivated xp to win 7.

ok thanks:D im getting the student discount one and its only e59.99 and also would i be legible to get the student discount if i'm in secondary school?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,448 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There's 2 answers here:

1. Yes. Use the Windows 8 upgrade media on top of any Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation (dodgy, activated, not-activated, OEM, retail, etc.) and IT WILL WORK, it will activate and no-one will ever question the validity / legality of your Windows 8 installation

2. No. You need to legally own XP, Vista or 7 to install the Windows 8 upgrade

Make of that what you will :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

I'm "one of those Microsoft people" and, while its not my department, that is true as far as I remember.

ynwa14 wrote: »
    I'm "one of those Microsoft people" and, while its not my department, that is true as far as I remember.

ok thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Spiritiser

garde2k10 wrote: »
    so i was chatting to one of them microsoft people and i was asking them if i can upgrade to windows 8 from an unactivated windows 7 and she said yes i could as i get a new key with the windows 8 upgrade.

i came here to ask if this is true or am i being told this just to be made into buying it:confused: ??
    why not activate the 7 and then upgrade? you can do that can't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

unkel wrote: »
    There's 2 answers here:

1. Yes. Use the Windows 8 upgrade media on top of any Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation (dodgy, activated, not-activated, OEM, retail, etc.) and IT WILL WORK, it will activate and no-one will ever question the validity / legality of your Windows 8 installation

2. No. You need to legally own XP, Vista or 7 to install the Windows 8 upgrade

Make of that what you will :)
    Option 1 only receives phone support from the Calcutta office:D

Yes asked MS about this and (theoretically as I haven't tried yet) an XP upgrade seems to be the best as it is a clean install. You purchase and download the W8 install, burn to DVD then install. Then update to W8.1 in the online store.

The student version is available to verified college students - have a .edu email or manually verified from a link on site (takes a few days)

I'd suspect that as uptake of W8 isn't as high as hoped, they aren't enforcing strict upgrade license requirements. After the upgrade they have all the details they need about you:(

wil wrote: »
    Option 1 only receives phone support from the Calcutta office:D

Yes asked MS about this and (theoretically as I haven't tried yet) an XP upgrade seems to be the best as it is a clean install. You purchase and download the W8 install, burn to DVD then install. Then update to W8.1 in the online store.

The student version is available to verified college students - have a .edu email or manually verified from a link on site (takes a few days)

I'd suspect that as uptake of W8 isn't as high as hoped, they aren't enforcing strict upgrade license requirements. After the upgrade they have all the details they need about you:(

didnt really get what you are trying to say about getting the student version...

are you saying theres a way to get it if your not in college, because microsoft are not strict on who gets its:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

garde2k10 wrote: »
    didnt really get what you are trying to say about getting the student version...

are you saying theres a way to get it if your not in college, because microsoft are not strict on who gets its:confused:
    No. I said upgrade licensing requirements - eg xp to W8 - not user type.
    The upgrade path is usually from one or 2 previous versons, in this case xp is 3 versions old and you would normally expect to pay a full license not an upgrade one. It is up to MS to decide what they allow and the pricing guidelines and they have their own enforcement office that audit and fine non compliant users.

Most of licensing is trust based and it is generally only business that get audited, but it is your own risk if you use unlicensed or incorrectly licensed software.
    Many licenses allow use on pc and portable device, but not simultaneous use, they have per-seat license - so you could use in office or at home but not 2 people using the one license. Per server license would have a limit of a certain number of simultaneous users on that server. For virtual or remote access it can get confusing or complicated.:confused:
    A student license needs a genuine student, but if the parent uses the students computer, well its up to them to report their own unlicensed use and stop being a bad example to their child. ;) you were the person who introduced the Student version:confused:

wil wrote: »
    No. I said upgrade licensing requirements - eg xp to W8 - not user type.
    The upgrade path is usually from one or 2 previous versons, in this case xp is 3 versions old and you would normally expect to pay a full license not an upgrade one. It is up to MS to decide what they allow and the pricing guidelines and they have their own enforcement office that audit and fine non compliant users.

Most of licensing is trust based and it is generally only business that get audited, but it is your own risk if you use unlicensed or incorrectly licensed software.
    Many licenses allow use on pc and portable device, but not simultaneous use, they have per-seat license - so you could use in office or at home but not 2 people using the one license. Per server license would have a limit of a certain number of simultaneous users on that server. For virtual or remote access it can get confusing or complicated.:confused:
    A student license needs a genuine student, but if the parent uses the students computer, well its up to them to report their own unlicensed use and stop being a bad example to their child. ;) you were the person who introduced the Student version:confused:

alriiigghtyy then..........

Advertisement