Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a good strimmer/combi kit

• 18-12-2013 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭

hi chaps,
    im looking to buy a good strimmer/combi kit-chainsaw trimmer
    any advice on brands?i know stihl is going to be trouble free for years but it is expensive stuff..anything else reliable and a little more cost friendly??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

Hi, Tanaka would be my pick if you are looking something reliable that won't cost the earth. They come with a strimmer head as standard so you have to add your attachments after that. The TBC230 engine unit, strimmer and hedge trimmer will cost around £495 plus the chainsaw end so probably around £550 - £600 or there abouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I can't give good advice on what brands are best for the multi-purpose but I can tell you to avoid Ryobi or anything you can buy at large chain-hardware/DIY stores.
    Tanaka, McCullough, Honda, Stihl and Husqvarna are excellent brands and are better in the long-run. Buying a cheaper brand is false economy because you will probably have to replace them in a few years - regardless of how well-kept they are. (My AMA blower 'died' a few weeks ago, despite being only 3 years old and getting annual service).

The best time to buy cheaper, best-brand products is at the end of one Season. Before the new stock comes in for Spring, dealers will want to offload their old stock and many will reduce price. Shop around and be patient...be aware of the dealers "pressure" tactics to guarantee a sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭twofish101

Stihl. Tanaka etc are at the top end of the list but are really professional machines and priced accordingly. If you use a strimmer once a week for the grass season and occasionally cut hedges, etc then a cheaper combo will be fine, I use tanaka equip. myself and it is very good and well up to the rigours of professional work A few years Woodies were doing a special on a combo Pro cut set for 199.00 My brother bought one and I have used it and for the money its a good bit of kit It came with a strimmer, hedge trimmer and chainsaw head also an extension which make cutting high hedges safe and speedy. The hedge cutter head is heavier than the Tanaka one but its fine if you are using it for an hour a opposed to using the tanaka one all day.
    Even it the cheaper combo only lasts a few years you could buy a couple for the price of the professional ones. Pay attention to your fuel mix as this is very important and will prolong the service useage of you unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I don't know if I would go so far as to say Tanaka stuff is pro quality, it is good don't get me wrong, but not pro vibrations are far too high to be pro gear also they are slightly behind the times on quality of finish.

Husqvarna is good although I have heard they are on the slide, but then Husqvarna fans say the same of Stihl.

The old adage, buy right buy once is very true with these sort of things.

I personally would steer clear of McCullough but that's my own personal view.

Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna, Shindaiwa, Tanaka and Jonsered are all good names to look for.

Would battery powered do you? How much work would you have for the stuff, battery etchnology has come on a long way in recent years.

Also, are you confident using a chainsaw on the end of a pole, they are notoriously tricky to use, and if you make a mistake quite dangerous too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 happy garden

Personally I think the echo is the best.
    If it's only for your own use you'll get a 5 year warranty.

Stihl is also good but expensive. Can feel a little heavy.

Husqvarna is really poor quality now and mccullogh is their even cheaper range.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bigblackmug

search for Multifunktionsschneider on amazon.de

I bought a 52cc one from amazon.de delivered to Ireland for 135 euro last year.
    A bit heavy but works well and found Johnstons in northern Ireland offering the same product for about 300 euro.
    It is mostly cast aluminium which makes it heavier but should translate in to being more durable too.

How much of a premium are you willing to pay for a premium name brand.

Father has a split shaft Tanaka and they are a good quality brand but like all the premium brands accessories and replacement parts are a ferocious price.

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Also, are you confident using a chainsaw on the end of a pole, they are notoriously tricky to use, and if you make a mistake quite dangerous too.

Tree surgeon, 20 years experence, I also have this piece among other bits of paper as well.

City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Safe Use of a Powered Pole Pruner (QCF)

pole saws are by far safer than trying to use a ground saw up a ladder in my opinion.

twofish101 wrote: »
    Tree surgeon, 20 years experence, I also have this piece among other bits of paper as well.

pole saws are by far safer than trying to use a ground saw up a ladder in my opinion.

I would agree on the ladders statement but a ling pole saw like a silky hayate or hayauchi would be my preference.

Being a pro you shouldn't be say that tanaka is good lol.

Being a pro you shouldn't be say that tanaka is good lol.
    We use a lot of their gear and its top class, all about having a good dealer who can get the bits we need. We also use Huskey, Jonsered, and Solo.

the big debate about stihl v huskey is the same as John Deere V Ford, or Scania V Volvo etc etc, :D:D:D

• Advertisement

We use a lot of their gear and its top class, all about having a good dealer who can get the bits we need. We also use Huskey, Jonsered, and Solo.

the big debate about stihl v huskey is the same as John Deere V Ford, or Scania V Volvo etc etc, :D:D:D

Vibrations on tanaka is too high for pro use, any pro user should know that.

Vibrations on tanaka is too high for pro use, any pro user should know that.
    True, but thats a discussion for another day, 20 years ago white finger was something jackhammer jockeys got. Some of my saws are 15 years old and have high Elv values.
    I said we use a lot of Tanaka gear not necessarily their saws, however as this was a query on a good combi/strimmer I stand by my earlier post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

look on amazon uk you might have to use parcel motel

True, but thats a discussion for another day, 20 years ago white finger was something jackhammer jockeys got. Some of my saws are 15 years old and have high Elv values.
    I said we use a lot of Tanaka gear not necessarily their saws, however as this was a query on a good combi/strimmer I stand by my earlier post.

All tanaka kit is high vibes not just chainsaws.

You can't be doing much tree work if you use 15 year old kit most aborist/surgeons change every few years.

Vinnie, just wondering if you got anything in the end?

I have just bought a multi tool and am delighted with it, it is the Stihl KM130r with straight strimmer shaft.

Advertisement