Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Fish Fingers

Options
  • 18-12-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I'm trying to get my kids to eat more fish but they're not the most adventurous so I need to keep it simple. Please excuse my ignorance as myself and my wife don't really eat fish. How do I go about it. Do I buy fresh cod loin or fillet? and how do I go about coating them in breadcrumbs to simulate the Birds Eye frozen fish fingers?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Cart

Hi buy fillets of whiting ask fishmonger to pin bone it for you. cut fish into gougon size, dip it in flour, shake excess of,dip in beaten egg,then into golden breadcrumbs. Heat oil in frying pan and fry for 2 minutes each side. Season flour if you like with salt pepper and pinch of paprika.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

If you want to replicate the crunch (and lurid orange colour!) of Bird's Eye fish fingers you should give crushed cornflakes a go instead of breadcrumbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

+1 on the whiting once they taste home made fish fingers with mushy peas and ketchup they will be converted

• Administrators Posts: 53,848 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Loin and fillet are basically the same - I think it just depends on how much you want. Fillet is the entire side of the fish, loin is the middle bit of it (i.e. the fattest part of the fillet).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,444 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Cod cheeks are really good for this and very cheap too. Just follow the flour, egg, and breadcrumb as suggested above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I make these for the kids, it was a recipe from annabel karmel, for baby food!

http://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/krispie-fish-fingers

I slice, dip in flour, egg, rice krispies or cornflakes blitzed with parmesan etc then shallow fry (only have a frying pan)

Lovely with chef tomato sauce!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I make these quite a bit for the kids. I don't bother with the flour - just dip them in egg and roll in breadcrumbs. There's a decent chain of fish mongers in Cork called Good Fish - I normally wait until they have their Cod special (9.99kg), buy a big bag and make a huge batch of fish fingers. I wrap each one individually in tin foil and put them in bags in the freezer (uncooked).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OP, I don't mean to be smart but it might be a lot easier to get your kids to eat some fish if their parents were to eat some fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,444 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

OP, I don't mean to be smart but it might be a lot easier to get your kids to eat some fish if their parents were to eat some fish.
    Applies to everything

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I could be talking out of my arse here, but I think it would be good not to cook down to kids. Make them fish dishes that you'd be happy to eat too. I love seeing kids who eat like adults do.

Obviously, homemade fish fingers are better than shop bought ones so they're a starting point but you could also look at incorporating fish in an adult way that you and your wife would enjoy too.

• Administrators Posts: 53,848 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Faith wrote: »
    I could be talking out of my arse here, but I think it would be good not to cook down to kids. Make them fish dishes that you'd be happy to eat too. I love seeing kids who eat like adults do.

Obviously, homemade fish fingers are better than shop bought ones so they're a starting point but you could also look at incorporating fish in an adult way that you and your wife would enjoy too.
    With much smaller portions of course! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

dee_mc wrote: »
    If you want to replicate the crunch (and lurid orange colour!) of Bird's Eye fish fingers you should give crushed cornflakes a go instead of breadcrumbs.

Or a tub of Paxo Breadcrumbs.

I find though the colour wont matter to the children, they will love home made ones, and Lemon sole is another fish which they'll love, squeeze of lemon juice and Oi Kids, feck off they are mine !

Advertisement