Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Apply for IEC 2014, but I've a few questions for those in the know!

Options
  • 18-12-2013 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I've a few queries about the IEC that I've not been able to get answered anywhere else, and the IEC takes months to respond to an email.

Those who are currently on it, was there anything that you did'nt expect to happen? I think it's pretty bad that they don't release any decent information atleast close to the time of releasing the Visas, leaving me in the lurch as to what to do.

I have the fee ready to go (120 euros), photo of my Passport and the CV template created. Is there anything else I'm missing?

I'm a Graphic Designer wanting to get work over in Canada, and I was set on Vancouver (as it's meant to be the center of the design scene) but now I'm not so sure as it's supposedly more expensive than Toronto?

Vancouver seems like a slower paced city, less busy. This attracts me, and also the disposition of the people living there (laid back, welcoming, community driven etc). Toronto seems more white collar and more corporate which isn't really my thing, though that would imply more job opportunities.

My head is just a bit melted at the moment!

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

IrishTeddi wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I've a few queries about the IEC that I've not been able to get answered anywhere else, and the IEC takes months to respond to an email.

Those who are currently on it, was there anything that you did'nt expect to happen? I think it's pretty bad that they don't release any decent information atleast close to the time of releasing the Visas, leaving me in the lurch as to what to do.

I have the fee ready to go (120 euros), photo of my Passport and the CV template created. Is there anything else I'm missing?

I'm a Graphic Designer wanting to get work over in Canada, and I was set on Vancouver (as it's meant to be the center of the design scene) but now I'm not so sure as it's supposedly more expensive than Toronto?

Vancouver seems like a slower paced city, less busy. This attracts me, and also the disposition of the people living there (laid back, welcoming, community driven etc). Toronto seems more white collar and more corporate which isn't really my thing, though that would imply more job opportunities.

My head is just a bit melted at the moment!

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi, I'm a software developer in Vancouver and here 6 months.
    When I came over, they didn't check my funds or insurance, but I wouldn't chance it!
    I got injured playing a match and had to pay up front the costs because the hospital, doctors offices and xray/ultrasound places wouldn't accept the insurance paying direct so I had to claim it back.
    I would've got the Medical Services Plan(MSP) over here had I not been told before coming that I needed insurance, but, sure they say we need it! Although, it takes 3 months to get that too.

You will need to change the format of your CV to a resume, it's much shorter. Canadian companies take AGES to come back to you after applying. I'm not sure about design, but wages are about 20-25% lower than mine were in Limerick, so that combined with the cost of living is massive. If you plan on driving, then you are looking at 200-250$ a month for insurance, although there is no motor tax and gas is cheap enough compared to Ireland.

Overall, the cost of living is similar in both cities(I have visited Toronto before and also researched there before coming here). Vancouver is a much nicer city with the mountains/beaches/parks and that.

It's very laid back here, but the people, although they are very nice, are probably the least amount of craic I've ever seen.

If you are definitely sure you're coming over, then pick Vancouver. I'm glad I did and I like it here but I'm going home probably after 14/15 months. Good experience here, but there is a lot missing here in terms of the people/sport and that. Plus in Canada in general in the downtown areas you have to pay to go into pubs a lot which is head wrecking.

I'm glad I did it though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 andrewosdit

Hi!

Have to say im very interested in moving to canada too and seeing as im probably in your position, but without the experience (wanna be graphic designer, degree in product design however),id love to see what you think too.

I was thinking going to calagry though. I heard its a really nice place and voted the best place to live in canada. Any body have experience here?

Thanks!

Advertisement