Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Bill

Options
  • 18-12-2013 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

My ESB bill was due to be paid for 4th Dec. Had to buy presents for my 6 year old first and had planned on paying it tomorrow. It is €66. I don't consider this to be too late but my landlady sent me a text today (the bill is in her name and she won't switch it over) to say she had an emergency call from ESB about the unpaid bill. I know once before I forgot to pay a bill and ended up getting two together and nothing was said. Just wondering do ESB ring that quick if a bill isn't paid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

If the bill is in her name she should pay it. A landlord who won't switch the utilities is extremely suspicious and reeks of tax evasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

She is registered with the PRTB so everything is above board. She is peed at me because I have insisted that she clean the chimney (for months she has refused saying I might as well ask her to clean the toilet). Am just wondering if her picking on the ESB bill is her way of having a little dig at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A bill not carrying any arrears from a previous bill is technically due 14 days after issue but in practice any time before the next bill is due will suffice. Electric Ireland will not follow up for payment on a domestic account not carrying arrears.

Edit. Oh and it is very common for accounts to remain in the landlord's name.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭cala

It is probably a two monthly bill, in which case it doesn't have to be paid immediately. if it is not paid it will go on to be added to the next two monthly bill, and then must be paid within 10 days (I think ) this 4 monthly bill is stated to be overdue.

There are no arrears on the bill - I always pay in full so I thought it was suspicious that ESB would ring over a bill being overdue 14 days. Do you think she checked with them to see if it is overdue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

1moreyr wrote: »
    There are no arrears on the bill - I always pay in full so I thought it was suspicious that ESB would ring over a bill being overdue 14 days. Do you think she checked with them to see if it is overdue?

She could have easily checked online.

cala wrote: »
    It is probably a two monthly bill, in which case it doesn't have to be paid immediately. if it is not paid it will go on to be added to the next two monthly bill, and then must be paid within 10 days (I think ) this 4 monthy bill is stated to be overdue.
    No 10 days. A bill in arrears is due immediately on issue.

4 monthly esb bills state at the bottom that they are overdue 2 monthly one aren't overdue.

So basically she is lying about having an emergency call from ESB and it is her way of having a dig at me? Before I confront her on it I just wanted to check to see if ESB actually do contact people but it appears that they don't.

If there were no arrears then they did not call her. Perhaps she checked on line but I think you can only view online if you go paperless altogether. Anyway it is not important as you are now asking us to speculate.

• Advertisement

As you stated at the outset , you got 2 bills before and nothing happened. only 4 monthly bills have overdue printed on them . so they would not have contacted her about it.

Thanks for the help :) Will confront my lying landlady tomorrow. It shouldn't surprise me - she is not a very nice lady, previously told me I had to pay the household tax. Her little digs are pitiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I know of numerous esb customers who have had phone calls shortly after the due date was up , they are becoming quicker to check up on bills which haven't been paid on time.

They used to let the bills roll over but are far more aggressive now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Thanks for the help :) Will confront my lying landlady tomorrow. It shouldn't surprise me - she is not a very nice lady, previously told me I had to pay the household tax. Her little digs are pitiful.

ESB will call fairly quickly these days. I switched banks and they hadn't entered new details properly (didn't change the sort code) and I got a call from a snotty bitch in ESB saying that I was putting my supply at risk. - I explained to her that I had 30+ years of business to ESB and every bill paid on time and their error of entering wrong details, that her attitude should be quite different. She couldn't give a damn and I'm now with Bord Gais.

So, yes, they do call very very quickly these days.

As for household tax - yes you pay it as landlords simply up the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

They have called me a few times, 01 number... Always if the bill is more than ten days over due...
    I would seriously think of moving from that house. Utility bills can be used as proof of address, also i would always want to keep utility bills to prove I have paid my way etc etc. You use the electricity, you pay the bill, it should be in your name. I would get that sorted.

Shelflife wrote: »
    I know of numerous esb customers who have had phone calls shortly after the due date was up , they are becoming quicker to check up on bills which haven't been paid on time.

They used to let the bills roll over but are far more aggressive now.

Absolutely untrue. These numerous people you know must have overdue accounts in order to receive a call. Only exception to this is large monthly commercial accounts, who are called on the due date.

Absolutely untrue. These numerous people you know must have overdue accounts in order to receive a call. Only exception to this is large monthly commercial accounts, who are called on the due date.

Sorry I dont like being called a liar, I deal with people in a PO and numerous have told me of recieving phone calls and they were simply a week or two late on a current payment.

So yes those calls are being made !

Shelflife wrote: »
    Sorry I dont like being called a liar, I deal with people in a PO and numerous have told me of recieving phone calls and they were simply a week or two late on a current payment.

So yes those calls are being made !

I am not calling you a lier, and never would do so to anybody, so apologies if you read it that way. However, those accounts must have had some arrears from a previous account, even an overlap of a payment, to receive a call from Electric Ireland. I cannot speak for any other electricity supplier.

I rang ESB today to find out what their policy is on overdue bills. I was told that yes they do ring sometimes on bills that have no arrears. It wouldn't be as my landlady said 'an emergency call' but they are getting more strict.

Prob a bit strong from me, (pulls in horns) one of the customers was paying off a €100 bill, a current one, paid €20 per week and had already paid €80.

Got a call demanding payment or else, poor lady was well shook up about it, thought they were going to cut her off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I don't see what the fuss is. The bill is in her name, you don't owe the ESB anything. If the bill was in your name (as it should be) she would have nothing to worry about. Pay her in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I am not calling you a lier, and never would do so to anybody, so apologies if you read it that way. However, those accounts must have had some arrears from a previous account, even an overlap of a payment, to receive a call from Electric Ireland. I cannot speak for any other electricity supplier.

not true, my aunt is meticulous, pays her bill in full all the time every time, last summer she happened to be away when her bill arrived and went over the 14 days payment window, she returned home to missed calls from electric ireland and one of those "you are in danger of being cut off, call us immediately to rectify this" letters...

i on the other hand get very forgetful and often forget to pay it or pay the wrong one (e.g pay electric ireland gas instead of electricity) until the the next one comes in and i realise and then go clear it. they don't ring me anymore or send letters they know they will have it cleared by the next one,

OP a while back we fell quite behind and if you talk to them i found they are really polite and helpful as long as you give them actual information on repayments you can make, and don't lie, if you say "i'll pay you on the 15th i will have some money then" pay them on the 15th, so give them a ring, you may need to be the account holder though so see if a: you can put it in your name, and b: try and come to some agreement as to a payment plan.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    OP a while back we fell quite behind and if you talk to them i found they are really polite and helpful as long as you give them actual information on repayments you can make, and don't lie, if you say "i'll pay you on the 15th i will have some money then" pay them on the 15th, so give them a ring, you may need to be the account holder though so see if a: you can put it in your name, and b: try and come to some agreement as to a payment plan.

Thanks, I actually had budgeted for bills this week and I paid it today. I just didn't believe my landlady when she texted to say she had an emergency call. If the bill was in my name and I received a call over being two weeks late I would consider switching providers.

Advertisement