Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate Cake recipe

Options
  • 18-12-2013 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi can anybody recommend a good chocolate cake recipe please? I will be making it in two 8" rounds.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Moved to Cakes & Bakes. You're more likely to get helpful replies in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

What type? Light fluffy dessert type or good rich fudge type, does it need to be heavy enough to support fondant?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

phormium wrote: »
    What type? Light fluffy dessert type or good rich fudge type, does it need to be heavy enough to support fondant?

No I won't be putting fondant on it this time. It is for children (and of course some adults!) so I think a light & fluffy choc cake with 70% chocolate would suit..

Nice basic simple one using both cocoa and chocolate, I use it for cake or cupcakes.

175g light brown sugar (caster will do at a push)
    175g very soft butter
    160g s.r. flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    20g cocoa
    50g 70% choc melted
    3 eggs

Put the lot in a food processor and blitz until mixed, if you only have a hand mixer then that will have to do, make sure the butter is really soft and the chocolate still kind of warm.

Bake at 170, not sure how long, I just know when done, sorry :) Don't open the oven door to check until you can smell cake!

Nice filled with anything, cream or chocolate buttercream.

Thanks a mill!! That sounds perfect :) Would it be done at about 22-25mins?

• Advertisement

I would say so, once I smell cake I give it another 5 mins or so before checking it, lightly press the top with a finger, you will know if it is not fully set and needs another few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Ok, I tried this recipe out recently and was worried that it wouldn't work - but it does!

Ingredients;2 cups white sugar
    1 & 3/4 cups all purpose flour (I used sr)
    3/4 cup of cocoa
    1 & 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1tsp salt1 cup milk
    1/2 cup veg oil
    2tsp vanilla essense
    1 cup boiling water

Combine all the dry ingredients together and mix.

Add all the wet ingredients, minus the boiling water, and whisk with electric mixer for 3 mins. Add the boiling water and mix in with spoon.

You will be left with a batter-like concoction. Greese and flour 2 9 inch cake tins, but have a loaf tin handy for excess cake mix! Pour the result into tins - do not overfill! - and bake at 170 c for approx 30 mins.

This is the most moist, rich, delicious chocolate cake I have ever made. Don't be put off by the batter-like consistency of the cake mix, it will cook. I added choc buttercream to the middle and cooking chocolate to the top with white chocolate curls, but it is such a rich chocolate cake, fresh cream and a fruit topping will be my next design!

Enjoy 

Hi

I copied and pasted that recipe from a saved page, I'm still finding my way round here so just wanted to add I do use cup measurements but I use 2 cups of the same size to measure iykwim. My kids love making this cake and of course eating it too, it has never failed me. I hope if you get to try it, it works out for you enjoy!

Thanks, Nowonline :) I am wondering, to decorate the outside of the cake should I use Ganache or just chocolate butter cream which is what will also be the filling of the cake??

Either would do fine, ganache not as sweet but it's personal choice really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

now online wrote: »
    13/4 cups all purpose flour (I used sr)
    11/2 tsp baking powder

Hey there, just wondering if those measurements are right or if it's that thing my phone does where the 1 key decides to get in your way when you hit space? If it needs to be edited to be 3/4 cups and 1/2 tsps just shout and I'll sort it out so no one ends up with a monster cake rising out of their oven :)

Hey there, just wondering if those measurements are right or if it's that thing my phone does where the 1 key decides to get in your way when you hit space? If it needs to be edited to be 3/4 cups and 1/2 tsps just shout and I'll sort it out so no one ends up with a monster cake rising out of their oven :)
    Hi it needs to be edited I'm sorry. Still finding my way round here, I'm brand new
    Work away with your excellent editing skills thanks!

Hi it needs to be edited I'm sorry. Still finding my way round here, I'm brand new
    Work away with your excellent editing skills thanks!

No worries at all, welcome to the wonderful Food & Drink forum and thanks for sharing your cake recipe!

Are you sure it's right now?

I had assumed the original meant 1 and 3/4 cups of flour and 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder. There would usually be more flour than cocoa and half a teaspoon of baking powder wouldn't rise much especially if you used plain flour as the recipe specified.

phormium wrote: »
    Are you sure it's right now?

I had assumed the original meant 1 and 3/4 cups of flour and 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder. There would usually be more flour than cocoa and half a teaspoon of baking powder wouldn't rise much especially if you used plain flour as the recipe specified.

I could easily have mulched it up, I'll change to 1 & 3/4 & 1 & 1/2 and if it's wrong OP let me know

Hi just to clear up any confusion cause by me trying to do things the quickest way instead of the right way I'm typing the recipe word for word.

2 cups white sugar (I use caster)
    1 and 3/4 cups self raising flour
    3/4 of a cup of cocoa powder ( I use bournville)
    1 and 1/2 teaspoons of baking powdef
    1 teaspoon of salt
    2 eggs
    1 cup of milk
    1/2 a cup of veg oil
    2 teaspoons vanilla essence.

combine all the dry ingredients together and mix.
    Add all the wet ingredients except the boiling water, mix well with an electric mixer for 3 minutes. Add in the boiling water and mix this in with a spoon.Pour the mixture into 2 9inch greased tins and bake at 170 for approx 30 minutes depending on your own oven.

As I previously said I use betty crockers chocolate or vanilla icing to fill and ice on thr outside too

Hi just to clear up any confusion cause by me trying to do things the quickest way instead of the right way I'm typing the recipe word for word.

Nah - I think any confusion was caused by me not really having the foggiest how ingredients turn into cake and buggering up your recipe!

If any of you decide to make this I'd be interested to know what you think of it.
    I have a very easy brown bread recipe too if anyone wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

If any of you decide to make this I'd be interested to know what you think of it.
    I have a very easy brown bread recipe too if anyone wants it.

I'd love to see your very easy brown bread recipe please?
    Thanks!

6oz brown flour
    2oz plain flour
    2oz pinhead oatmeal
    1oz wheatgerm
    1tsp bread soda
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp sugar

1 large egg
    10 fl oz buttermilk

1lb loaf tin, well greased
    Preheat oven to gas mark 5, 190C

Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
    Add the 2 wet ingredients and stir well.
    Pour into loaf tin, (I sometimes add pumpkin or sesame seeds to the top)

Bake in the centre of the oven for 50-60 mins, then turn straight onto wire rack I usually cover with a tea towel to keep the crust soft
    I can honestly say it works out perfect every time.
    Enjoy!

• Advertisement

Ok copy and pasted this again and yipee I'm getting the hang of it!

Just to add this is a delia smith recipe and while I do measure most ingredients I tend to pour in the buttermilk and judge by eye. I know initially you might not have things like pin head oatmeal in your press, this is well worth making. Totally yummy with a bowl of soup or equally as nice with a cup of coffee smothered in butter and jam.

I'm no Delia myself but a few good and easy recipes can make all the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Ok copy and pasted this again and yipee I'm getting the hang of it!

Just to add this is a delia smith recipe and while I do measure most ingredients I tend to pour in the buttermilk and judge by eye. I know initially you might not have things like pin head oatmeal in your press, this is well worth making. Totally yummy with a bowl of soup or equally as nice with a cup of coffee smothered in butter and jam.

I'm no Delia myself but a few good and easy recipes can make all the difference!
    Thanks! Will try and report back :)

Advertisement