Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Safes

Options
  • 18-12-2013 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I'm going to be buying a gun safe in the new year and I'm wondering what people would recommend as a good quality safe.
    I have seen on a few threads that some safes have been broken into with crowbars, these are the ones i want to avoid.
    I have been looking online at a Brattonsound RL7+sentinel, how would people rate this safe and would it be good enough to stop the casual burglar with a crowbar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

Google sure is a good tool for research but there's nothing like hearing from people with first hand experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

I'm going to be buying a gun safe in the new year and I'm wondering what people would recommend as a good quality safe.
    I have seen on a few threads that some safes have been broken into with crowbars, these are the ones i want to avoid.
    I have been looking online at a Brattonsound RL7+sentinel, how would people rate this safe and would it be good enough to stop the casual burglar with a crowbar.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057106856

Hey rsole1, i was looking at that yesterday.
    It does look like a good solid safe but I'll be looking for a 6 gun at least.
    I'm getting back into guns after a long absence, so i hope to build a bit of a collection before the laws that be make it even more difficult to own a gun.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I use Infac and Buffalo River. Both are 6 and 8 gun safes respectively. They have rounded frames and doors making entry into them, not impossible, but very bloody hard.

While glaringly obvious i'll say it anyway. The safe is the last resort. This should be the last thing any potential burglar should have to contend with. Keeping them out of the house is job number one so the safe should be as good as you can afford, but also not thought of as a sole preventative measure.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

That's true cass the safe should be the last resort. I have a cctv system installed in the house and will be getting an alarm next year.
    I'm living in the countryside so if they want to get in there's nothing going to stop them. I'm thinking i might bar up the windows in the room where the safe will be kept and fitting a more secure door to the room also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I can't help you regarding what is a good safe or not.

But speaking from personal experience, when a safe claims to hold 6 or 7 guns, they probably only comfortably hold 4 or so guns.

In other words, my advice is that if you plan on getting 3 guns, then get a 6 gun safe. If you plan on getting 6 guns, get a 10 gun safe.

That's just my experience.

@ chllipepper. I have the same. CCTV, barred & sealed window in the room, reinforced door, locks on the doors, monitored alarm with GSM back up & panic button, etc.

The idea being to make my house an unlikely or "too much trouble" target as possible to any would be burglar.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    @ chllipepper. I have the same. CCTV, barred & sealed window in the room, reinforced door, locks on the doors, monitored alarm with GSM back up & panic button, etc.

The idea being to make my house an unlikely or "too much trouble" target as possible to any would be burglar.

Was it hard to bar up the window, i was thinking would it be possible to buy a frame that i could attach to the wall around the window if you know what i mean. What type of door should i be looking at.

Was it hard to bar up the window, i was thinking would it be possible to buy a frame that i could attach to the wall around the window if you know what i mean.
    That's exactly it. Not bar the actual window but have a barred frame mounted to the inside of the window frame itself. Meaning if someone did actually get the window open they'd need an angle grinder to cut into the bars to gain access.
    What type of door should i be looking at.
    No idea on names, but i got one from my Uncle. It's steel reinforced and fire resistant for something like 2-4 hours. Has chubb locks for internal locks, and i mounted two additional locks on the outside.

Like yourself i'm in the country. Fairly isolated and a quiet area. The idea being my home will be as i left it when i return to it each day. Must be working as most every house in the area has been broken into in the last 8 months. Not mine though. There is not one house around that even has an alarm let alone the level of security. Although my Father used to work installing alarms years ago so that helped both from an installation point of view, and from a paranoia point of view. :D

• Advertisement

That's exactly it. Not bar the actual window but have a barred frame mounted to the inside of the window frame itself. Meaning if someone did actually get the window open they'd need an angle grinder to cut into the bars to gain access.
    No idea on names, but i got one from my Uncle. It's steel reinforced and fire resistant for something like 2-4 hours. Has chubb locks for internal locks, and i mounted two additional locks on the outside.

Like yourself i'm in the country. Fairly isolated and a quiet area. The idea being my home will be as i left it when i return to it each day. Must be working as most every house in the area has been broken into in the last 8 months. Not mine though. There is not one house around that even has an alarm let alone the level of security. Although my Father used to work installing alarms years ago so that helped both from an installation point of view, and from a paranoia point of view. :D

You have a good setup there and i will be working towards something like this for myself. There has been a lot of break ins in my area so i want to get my security sorted before i apply for a new gun licence.
    Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Keep a look on Adverts as safes come up often Stuff like this....

http://www.adverts.ie/office-equipment-supplies/fire-resistant-safe/3157804

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I can't help you regarding what is a good safe or not.

But speaking from personal experience, when a safe claims to hold 6 or 7 guns, they probably only comfortably hold 4 or so guns.

In other words, my advice is that if you plan on getting 3 guns, then get a 6 gun safe. If you plan on getting 6 guns, get a 10 gun safe.

That's just my experience.

Agreed... go as big as you can !!

You can have the most advanced alarm system in Ireland as many banks and post offices do. Unfortunately a smart burglar will go for the weakest link.... if they know you have guns and want them they really dont even need tools to break in !!

Think about it :P

Keep a look on Adverts as safes come up often Stuff like this....

http://www.adverts.ie/office-equipment-supplies/fire-resistant-safe/3157804

Agreed... go as big as you can !!

You can have the most advanced alarm system in Ireland as many banks and post offices do. Unfortunately a smart burglar will go for the weakest link.... if they know you have guns and want them they really dont even need tools to break in !!

If someone is set up properly to brake in and steel guns out of a gun safe its very hard to stop them. It is possible to stop the opportunist scumbag with a crowbar if your ready for him.

I agree. That's why i say the job of security measures, other than to prevent people breaking in, is to deter them too.
    The idea being my home will be as i left it when i return to it each day.
    While glaringly obvious i'll say it anyway. The safe is the last resort. This should be the last thing any potential burglar should have to contend with. Keeping them out of the house is job number one so the safe should be as good as you can afford, but also not thought of as a sole preventative measure.

That is all we can do. Make is as hard as possible for anyone to gain access. Nothing is fool proof or a guarantee. However the more you have in the place the less likely they are to try or succeed.

I mean if i were a burglar and knew the houses in the area had firearms i'd be looking at the lad without an alarm, no serious locks on the doors or windows as opposed to the lad with CCTV, alarm, barred windows, etc.

I will say that the only noticeable feature of my security is the alarm boxes on the house and garage. Everything else is concealed so as not to draw attention. It;s the same reason i load up the jeep, when heading out, from the back of the house, and don't leave camo, ammo, etc. in the jeep when not shooting. IOW discretion.

Advertisement