Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl bought car but now no longer wants and requested money back

Options
  • 18-12-2013 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads and Lassies,

A friend has asked me for advice in relation to what their rights are with the private sale of their car? The friend met the lady, showed her car and she was happy with car but requested that her mechanic give it a look over to which my friend agreed. The mechanic looked over the car and advised the lady of what would be needd and as a result, a deal was done on the car and money was handed over to my friend. My friend then signed the logbook and the lady signed her part...my friend was stupid enough though to let the girl keep the logbook so she could post it. Now this eve she has rang them back and said she has changed her mind and wants money back...thinks there is a smell in the car!!

whats my friends rights??can my friend tell her to **** off??i think its very dubious...she could have changed have the parts since like for worn parts!!

advie please
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I wouldn't, deal was done she has no rights for money back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Caveat emptor. It's a private sale, no cooling off period. She has no refund rights

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Contact the Motor Tax HQ in Shannon and explain the situation.

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/

Explain everything like you have here and they should be able to help.

You will need to get the owner changed to her otherwise you'd be liable for speeding/parking fines and tolls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Don't entertain her, the contract is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Lots of people looking for advice for their friends on forums :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Caveat emptor. It's a private sale, no cooling off period. She has no refund rights

Even with a sale from a garage, there would be no difference. No law gives one any rights for a change of mind.

unless the "smell" is sign of a real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

lads thanks for the replies, thats what i was thinkin too...ive said that to them so choice is theirs...i think they would be crazy to give in to her! all the bitch needs to do is clean it out abit or worst case scenario, valet the car like!

p.s to the sam guy it is friends im enquiring about..i wont be sellin mine for agood while id say!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

pine-scent.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Victor wrote: »
    pine-scent.jpg
    royal pine for a royal pain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

First the girls say yes, then she decides that she said no. How many lads have experienced that behaviour?
    You have the money. She signed the logbook. Inform Shannon that the ownership has been transferred and let her whistle for Dixie

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    pine-scent.jpg

the thing is..there was absolutely no smell in the car cause the dog had only been in the car 1-2 times previously...this girl was aware they had a dog and mustve went weird about that later...diva bitch:rolleyes:

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    First the girls say yes, then she decides that she said no. How many lads have experienced that behaviour?
    You have the money. She signed the logbook. Inform Shannon that the ownership has been transferred and let her whistle for Dixie

i told the clowns to always ensure they send the logbook in future as it cuts out on **** like that happenin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

This post has been deleted.
    All detailed here, as part of the keypost I set up more than 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

mathepac wrote: »
    All detailed here, as part of the keypost I set up more than 4 years ago.

Here's what I got when I clicked that link:
    Reported Attack Page!

This web page at www.askaboutmoney.com has been reported as an attack page and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack pages try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack pages intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

Wheelnut wrote: »
    Here's what I got when I clicked that link:
    And here is what's there now :-
    Sorry, we have switched askaboutmoney off as there seems to be a problem with it - Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

I recently had someone try to take me to court over something like this . Tell your friend not to worry . Nothing will come of it

Colash wrote: »
    I recently had someone try to take me to court over something like this . Tell your friend not to worry . Nothing will come of it

hi, that girl since changed her mind and is happy out with the car...friggin diva me thinks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Even with a sale from a garage, there would be no difference. No law gives one any rights for a change of mind.

unless the "smell" is sign of a real problem.

I remember hearing that when buying online you do have the right to change your mind within 7 days. Understandable as you only get to touch the goods when they arrive in the post. Still it's good to know that you have more rights shopping online than you do off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 murphjohn121

Yeah she def has no rights in that scenario.
    Online you have 7 days to return!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Thread closed because the issue is resolved.

Please read the forum charter. Legal advice is not allowed.

Advertisement