Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advent Tegra Note 7 in PCWorld

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

anyone know how to get currys or pcworld in uk to accept irish cr/db card and billing address?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

At £99 it's an absolute nobrainer, particularly if you like gaming, and it will be way better than any of the Android junk selling for that price. The stylus looks pretty neat too, assuming it comes bundled with it. I wonder do all the PC World stores have it in stock as it is not listed on pcworld.ie. EVGA have their own version of this tablet in the states called the Tegra Note 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Darwin wrote: »
    At £99 it's an absolute nobrainer, particularly if you like gaming, and it will be way better than any of the Android junk selling for that price. The stylus looks pretty neat too, assuming it comes bundled with it. I wonder do all the PC World stores have it in stock as it is not listed on pcworld.ie. EVGA have their own version of this tablet in the states called the Tegra Note 7.

This is an android tab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Another example of the rip off republic. 99 quid in PC world UK 149 euro here. Should be no more than 120 euro here. That's a 29 euro rip off republic mark up.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    This is an android tab.

I know, you've misunderstood me - existing Android tablets selling at this price will be pretty poor in comparison to the Advent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Eight Ball wrote: »
    Another example of the rip off republic. 99 quid in PC world UK 149 euro here. Should be no more than 120 euro here. That's a 29 euro rip off republic mark up.

You are way off there. €120? That's just converting the currency. There are so many factors which make it a different price here. VAT, cost of living, much higher salaries etc etc etc.

€149 is a good price for this tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Yep Darwin the stylus comes with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Been Trying to pull the trigger on this all week , you can use a coupon Vega10 i think to bring it down to 89£ , the problem is Currys/pcworld wont accept any of my cards and short of changing my billing address on my cards I cant get it.

edit: VEGA10 voucher seems to have run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭johnwd

Saruman wrote: »
    You are way off there. €120? That's just converting the currency. There are so many factors which make it a different price here. VAT, cost of living, much higher salaries etc etc etc.

€149 is a good price for this tablet.
    It might be a fair price* but he only way I'd buy at this price is if someone unplugged the internet :D.

*I'd have to disagree - would all those factors would amount to 25% ... VAT is 2% more here, the Celtic tiger is over and it's a lot dearer to hire staff and rent a building in the centre of London than anywhere here, especially with the likes of jobsbridge etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Eight Ball wrote: »
    That's what Parcel Motel is for - it's great as consumers we can be smarter with purchases (although it's still rather annoying seeing markups like that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Paddywiggum

got one in pcworld today. It has Antutu score of 35000! An absolute beast! BUY IT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Already have the 2013 Nexus 7 but for this price this tablet looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Coming up at £129.99 now
    Hey Folks,

Was in PcWorld in Jervis Street and they have the recently released Advent Tegra Note 7 for €149

http://www.trustedreviews.com/advent-vega-tegra-note-7_Tablet_review

Seems to be pretty decent

NVIDIA® Tegra® 4 - up to 1.8 GHz
    quad+1 Cortex A15 Processor
    72-core NVIDIA GeForce® GPU
    NVIDIA DirectStylus™
    7” HD IPS LCD with LED backlight
    (1280x800) display
    Front facing Stereo speakers with
    NVIDIA PureAudio™ technology
    HDR camera

It's also available for £99 on PcWorld.co.uk

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/advent-vega-tegra-note-7-tablet-16-gb-21812495-pdt.html

Maybe worthwhile getting it shipped to a parcel motel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

johnwd wrote: »
    It might be a fair price* but he only way I'd buy at this price is if someone unplugged the internet :D.

*I'd have to disagree - would all those factors would amount to 25% ... VAT is 2% more here, the Celtic tiger is over and it's a lot dearer to hire staff and rent a building in the centre of London than anywhere here, especially with the likes of jobsbridge etc.

Its not just as simple as rent/employees is more expensive there are plenty of other factors to consider

1) The cost of them having an Irish operation at all, the cost of running Ireland operation is probably more expensive per shop than the UK one due to economies of scale.

2) Currency Conversion & fluctuation - you are probably using xe.com or something to get your currency translation, no one gets that rate. Also as they are a company who deals mostly in sterling the need to leave some padding in there to make sure due to fluctuations it doesnt drop below their UK price

3) Not a whole lot of point if there prices are comparable to other retailers here. Pcworld and Currys seem to be there or there abouts with there prices. If you could sell something for a tenner or a fiver, you'd be silly to sell it for a fiver, its just bad business

Its not just as simple as rent/employees is more expensive there are plenty of other factors to consider

1) The cost of them having an Irish operation at all, the cost of running Ireland operation is probably more expensive per shop than the UK one due to economies of scale.

2) Currency Conversion & fluctuation - you are probably using xe.com or something to get your currency translation, no one gets that rate. Also as they are a company who deals mostly in sterling the need to leave some padding in there to make sure due to fluctuations it doesnt drop below their UK price

3) Not a whole lot of point if there prices are comparable to other retailers here. Pcworld and Currys seem to be there or there abouts with there prices. If you could sell something for a tenner or a fiver, you'd be silly to sell it for a fiver, its just bad business

Sorry, some of your points are valid but they still post the biggest profits from Ireland. Boots, Pc World etc
    So they are ripping us off to a certain extent. Next is the worst

Saw one today in pc world in Liffey valley...couldn't help myself and bought one. Very impressed with the gaming potential and the stylus is a nice addition. The speakers sound surprisingly good too. Definitely worth the asking price of €150

Saw one today in pc world in Liffey valley...couldn't help myself and bought one. Very impressed with the gaming potential and the stylus is a nice addition. The speakers sound surprisingly good too. Definitely worth the asking price of €150

may pick this up tomorrow then. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

Managed to get one of the samsungs in the op but wondering if I should hold off and get the advent in the sales. Only using it while travelling next yr and to keep the little lad entertained in airport.
    To that end battery life will be the main deal breaker and hardly any gaming will be done other than angry birds etc. If anyone has compared both I'd value their opinion

Managed to get one of the samsungs in the op but wondering if I should hold off and get the advent in the sales. Only using it while travelling next yr and to keep the little lad entertained in airport.
    To that end battery life will be the main deal breaker and hardly any gaming will be done other than angry birds etc. If anyone has compared both I'd value their opinion

A Note III?

I'll be playing around with both next week and let you know if someone doesnt beforehand

Just got my ATN7 , it's so speedy!

Sorry, was looking at the two threads at once, the Galaxy Tab 3 for €110 from amazon here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057108305

• Advertisement

Sorry, was looking at the two threads at once, the Galaxy Tab 3 for €110 from amazon here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057108305

Hi, I think PC World were also selling the Tab 3, but for €150 - I had a look at it and the display has more vivid colours than the Advent, although both tablets use IPS panels. However, the advent has better overall specifications in these areas:
    Screen resolution: 1280 x 800 vs 1024 x 600
    Processor: quad core vs dual core
    Flash RAM: 16 GB vs 8GB
    Battery life: Claimed 10 hour vs 7 hour
    Rear camera: 5MP vs 3MP

Unless you are on a strict budget, I would take a look at the Advent.

Hi, I think PC World were also selling the Tab 3, but for €150 - I had a look at it and the display has more vivid colours than the Advent, although both tablets use IPS panels. However, the advent has better overall specifications in these areas:

Stylus and HDMI out are nice on the advent too , plus the lack of touchwiz interface

Loving my advent. So fast, screen not a problem at all.
    Mates got a Nexus 2013 and hard to see the difference
    The only thing is make sure you want a 7" and not a 10".
    Given the choice I would go for 10"

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭sdowling04

Are they still in PC world? Cant see them on the website :(

Advertisement