Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

warmflow flue issue

• 18-12-2013 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭

I serviced a warmflow 90/120 boiler today.The boiler is serviced every year.Its my first time servicing the boiler.Fitted new flexi hose,nozzle,fire valve,fga readings good.However the issue with the boiler is ashes gathering in the elbow in the flue and its is like this a long time.I said to the customer that in my opinion the problem is the clay flue and it restricting the escape of the flue gases.I have pictures attached.It would be a help to get opinions from the service guys here as to what is the best solution..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Agusta has raised a serious point here and thanks for that.
    In my opinion, its not ash but asbestos dust that is falling down restricting elbow in last photo that also has oil pipes in it.

Please be very very very careful and health conscious when clearing it. And disposing it. !
    I wear a mask. + more.

Hope this does not lead to a health and safety by EU standards but a practical, safe reply in how we all handel this topic. Asbestos dust.

I understand if no replys, but practical info on how you personal deal with this issue in the real world might be of help to the rest of us. Without having to call in the World Health Organisation, I'm not trying to be funny on asbestos dust as I'd like to know how every body copes with this serious issue ?
    Opinions and experience helps us all. Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

scudo2 wrote: »
    Agusta has raised a serious point here and thanks for that.
    In my opinion, its not ash but asbestos dust that is falling down restricting elbow in last photo that also has oil pipes in it.

Please be very very very careful and health conscious when clearing it. And disposing it. !
    I wear a mask. + more.

Hope this does not lead to a health and safety by EU standards but a practical, safe reply in how we all handel this topic. Asbestos dust.

I understand if no replys, but practical info on how you personal deal with this issue in the real world might be of help to the rest of us. Without having to call in the World Health Organisation, I'm not trying to be funny on asbestos dust as I'd like to know how every body copes with this serious issue ?
    Opinions and experience helps us all. Ta
    Thanks scudo,,If it is asbestos dust, is it coming from the clay flue itself through a chemical reaction with the flue gases

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

agusta wrote: »
    I serviced a warmflow 90/120 boiler today.The boiler is serviced every year.Its my first time servicing the boiler.Fitted new flexi hose,nozzle,fire valve,fga readings good.However the issue with the boiler is ashes gathering in the elbow in the flue and its is like this a long time.I said to the customer that in my opinion the problem is the clay flue and it restricting the escape of the flue gases.I have pictures attached.It would be a help to get opinions from the service guys here as to what is the best solution..

You are almost correct in your assesment. The problem is the clay flue itself. It is being eroded by the acidic nature of the flue gases. Oil flues have to be of a substance resistant to corrosive gasses. A flexi flue liner in the chimney or clay flue will solve this problem. I have lots of customers with this problem and they do not want to go to the trouble of putting in a new flue, so I clean that part out every service. Sometimes by dismantling the flue where it joins the clay flue. I do not know how long this can continue before the chimney fails, but from my experience it seems to last a long time so long as this cleaning takes place.
    Any of you have any idea of how long you can get away with doing this?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Looking at that pipe sticking out of the block built chimney, it does look like an asbestos pipe. It would be interesting to know if this goes down through the chimney to meet the steel flue from the boiler or is just sticking out the top of a clay flue? I would guess the latter.

Wearb wrote: »
    Looking at that pipe sticking out of the block built chimney, it does look like an asbestos pipe. It would be interesting to know if this goes down through the chimney to meet the steel flue from the boiler or is just sticking out the top of a clay flue? I would guess the latter.
    Yes,The clay flue pipe goes all the way down the chimney including the 90 degrees bend.The stainless steel flue is just going as far as the internal wall in the boiler house,more or less joined in the middle of the wall with the clay flue

• Advertisement

Yes,The clay flue pipe goes all the way down the chimney including the 90 degrees bend.The stainless steel flue is just going as far as the internal wall in the boiler house,more or less joined in the middle of the wall with the clay flue

And that pipe sticking out the top? Any idea about that? It may have been put there to increase the draught. But I think that that run of pipe from the boiler to the chimney is less than horizontal and would in itself cause problems.

And that pipe sticking out the top? Any idea about that? It may have been put there to increase the draught. But I think that that run of pipe from the boiler to the chimney is less than horizontal and would in itself cause problems.
    The clay flue on the top appears to be the same material as the clay flue on the bottom of the chimney.The flue is there from when the house was built id say.When this boiler was fitted it was just connected up to the clay flue.

The clay flue on the top appears to be the same material as the clay flue on the bottom of the chimney.The flue is there from when the house was built id say.When this boiler was fitted it was just connected up to the clay flue.

It is unlikely that that last length of flue is clay. It is very likely asbestos from the look of it. I have not come across the type of residue that you describe from an asbestos flue, but it is very common from a clay flue with oil.
    If that is an asbestos flue and IF it is going all the way through the chimney to the metal pipe from the boiler, then I would give great consideration to the advice from Scudo.
    I would still suspect that that top part of flue isn't going all the way to the metal flue from the boiler.

btw is the flue I mentioned dropping down from the boiler to the chimney, or is it just a matter of camera angles?

I am sure that you will have other suggestions in the morning.

Stay curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Even though it looks brown like clay, I'm pretty sure that you have a 90 degree asbestos bend with cleaning door at the bottom of the flue. It is asbestos at the top and at the bottom. It may be clay in between, but likely asbestos.
    Jim.

• Advertisement

It is unlikely that that last length of flue is clay. It is very likely asbestos from the look of it. I have not come across the type of residue that you describe from an asbestos flue, but it is very common from a clay flue with oil.
    If that is an asbestos flue and IF it is going all the way through the chimney to the metal pipe from the boiler, then I would give great consideration to the advice from Scudo.
    I would still suspect that that top part of flue isn't going all the way to the metal flue from the boiler.

btw is the flue I mentioned dropping down from the boiler to the chimney, or is it just a matter of camera angles?

I am sure that you will have other suggestions in the morning.

Stay curious.
    Ya,the flue is dropping down very slightly.The chimney was there long before this boiler was fitted,Id like to cut the top half the chimney off,or get a new flue fitted.But with it being asbestos im at a loss what to do.Also if the chimney and block work were removed and a new flue fitted the oil tank is too near the flue..

Ya,the flue is dropping down very slightly.The chimney was there long before this boiler was fitted,Id like to cut the top half the chimney off,or get a new flue fitted.But with it being asbestos im at a loss what to do.Also if the chimney and block work were removed and a new flue fitted the oil tank is too near the flue..

Do you have an option of fitting a low level flue and bypassing that one? Otherwise I would advise them to get a builder in to sort out existing chimney. Probably loose future work there, but that might not be a bad thing if they do not want to fix chimney.

Do you have an option of fitting a low level flue and bypassing that one? Otherwise I would advise them to get a builder in to sort out existing chimney. Probably loose future work there, but that might not be a bad thing if they do not want to fix chimney.
    I could advise a low level flue,its possible,but the oil tank and pipework may have to be moved.All i can do is give the best advise i can.Its the asbestos that is the worry,thanks for your advise

I could advise a low level flue,its possible,but the oil tank and pipework may have to be moved.All i can do is give the best advise i can.Its the asbestos that is the worry,thanks for your advise

Sometimes sticking to regs can loose work and it is a toss up between keeping the work, keeping things safe and covering your posterior.

Fill in your recommendations on the CD11 and get them to sign it. Keep a copy or photograph it so you have a record of your advice

Advertisement