Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog grooming courses

• 19-12-2013 4:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭

Looking for any information on dog grooming courses. I'm a qualified vet nurse but as of yet unemployed in the veterinary field. Been out of college a good few months now job searching and it's quite a depressing thought that there seems to be very few jobs going. :(

Have an interest in dog grooming but apart from helping out with grooming in various different placements (washing, brushing etc. but no clipping), grooming my own dog and the little bit of it we were taught in college I don't have a whole lot of experience. Looking to boost the cv up a little too as a lot of practices have vet nurses that double as groomers. Not looking to start up my own grooming business, would just like to have something extra that I could do grooms in a practice if I wanted to.

I was looking into the kilroys college grooming course but researching it people are saying it's not really worth the money as it's not accredited and there's no hands on teaching.

Are there any similar distance learning courses that are accredited, give hands on lessons say once a month and don't cost the earth? I'm based in the north west, budget of around €1000.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I've been interested in doing one for a while now too, I didn't pass my final OSCE so was going to do one while waiting for the repeat. I'm not too gone on the kilroys one as it's all correspondence learning with no practical experience. Any other courses are private ones and all are up around the €2000 mark. The one I was going to do after Christmas is based in Clare/Limerick and costs €2500. A lot of the courses cover basic stuff that would have already been learned through college like skin diseases, parasites and things like that so some places might offer a discount to a qualified VN as you wouldn't have to do those parts again! Best of luck in your search :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I was actually thinking of doing something similar. It's so hard to get a job in the field at the moment. I'm covering sick leave in a clinic I worked in a while back at the moment but can't seem to get anything permanent. I was looking at Kilroys as well. I don't have the funds to even think about doing the course tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I'm still in college but looking at other courses to do to be more employable when I'm back in the big bad world. I found this:
    http://www.doggrooming.ie/courses-available.html
    But they are very expensive.

Advertisement