Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone call Costs UPC

• 19-12-2013 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

.. just checking my mobile phone bill and discovered that I was charged a total of 13.07euros for calls I made to order Horizon .... its a 1890 918444 number I was told to call by UPC 1908 operator when eventually answered after usual long hold.
    Since Horizon box is unfit for purpose and a piece of crap in process of being returned I am especially pissed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Well you did dial an 1890 number... I'm pretty sure any of the 190x numbers are free to call you might insist on using them in future if you can contact them at all through it. Also there are geographic alternatives available at saynoto1890.com or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

itstomb wrote: »
    .... just checking my mobile phone bill and discovered that I was charged a total of 13.07euros for calls I made to order Horizon .... its a 1890 918444 number I was told to call by UPC 1909 operator when eventually answered after usual long hold.
    Since Horizon box is unfit for purpose and a piece of crap in process of being returned I am especially pissed.

I think it's your mobile provider that are the thieves in this situation. UPC would have been charged for your 1890 call too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭myIdea

Confused ?

1890 numbers are low costs call numbers, they are not free to anyone or any network.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 itstomb

The point is that there was no option to be transferred by 1908 and I would have been charged whether or not I had proceeded with my order i.e. I effectively paid for Horizons sales call.
    Horizon, at their choice, do not allow for an internal UPC transfer and thus caused the charge.

In any event, as any of you 'posters', who have the Horizon Box, would be aware ... it is unfit for purpose with software designed by utterly incompetent fools .... the phone charges are the least of the problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

So, when are you going to change the thread title?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

So, when are you going to change the thread title?

I've had to do it myself.OP that was quite a serious allegation to make and if you are going to make an allegation of that nature it should be to the Garda Siochana you should be going not Boards.

The point is that there was no option to be transferred by 1908 and I would have been charged whether or not I had proceeded with my order i.e. I effectively paid for Horizons sales call.
    Horizon, at their choice, do not allow for an internal UPC transfer and thus caused the charge.

If a company has a free phone number great, if they don't they don't, so I don't understand what your gripe is... or why its UPC's fault.

....you were looking for the service, they gave you a number to ring:confused:

1890 numbers from mobiles will always cost more then ringing from a landline, no matter what company you ring.

OK ... the title, my bad .... point taken, apologies Horizon supporters ... I agree ... Moderator faster than me to change it.

Now that I have been 'educated', I thought I would return the favour. I now have sufficient incentive to prepare a detailed master list of all the problems with the Horizon Box, hardware and software. Its a very lengthy list so will take a day or two .....

myIdea wrote: »
    If a company has a free phone number great, if they don't they don't, so I don't understand what your gripe is... or why its UPC's fault.

....you were looking for the service, they gave you a number to ring:confused:

1890 numbers from mobiles will always cost more then ringing from a landline, no matter what company you ring.

They do ... 1908 ... It is their fault that they don't allow the transfer (I was an existing UPC customer who called 1908 to upgrade my system). Unlike you, I am not an expert in which 18xx numbers charge me and which don't. It should have been explained.

Typical companies in the 'normal' business of sales do not normally create charges for the sales enquiry .... what don't you understand about that ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Who stated their support for the Horizon box? Granted there are problems with it but I've managed to build a bridge etc. If you're committing to contract in future it could help to find someone with it and try it out first. The forums here are full of peoples' experiences also.

If you are ringing UPC again I suggest you call 1800 234 234 which is their freephone sales number.

• Advertisement

They do ... 1908 ... It is their fault that they don't allow the transfer (I was an existing UPC customer who called 1908 to upgrade my system). Unlike you, I am not an expert in which 18xx numbers charge me and which don't. It should have been explained.

Typical companies in the 'normal' business of sales do not normally create charges for the sales enquiry .... what don't you understand about that ...

Your thread started out with...

My replies to you, are for you to understand that you made the call... its not my fault that you didn't realise that the call would or could cost you money.

I merely stated that 1890 numbers are not free and I fail to see why you think after you made the call that UPC are at fault.

Granted the majority of company's would state that its either a low cost call or from mobiles operator costs will differ.

So I ask you to refrain from having a go at me for pointing out your ignorance (politely) after all you did make the call.

As for your problems with the Horizion box, I couldn't give a *uck about it.
    I'm not with UPC nor will I ever be... I don't know anyone that never had a problem with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was able to order over 1908, never phoned an 1890 number at any point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

OK ... the title, my bad .... point taken, apologies Horizon supporters ... I agree ... Moderator faster than me to change it.

Now that I have been 'educated', I thought I would return the favour. I now have sufficient incentive to prepare a detailed master list of all the problems with the Horizon Box, hardware and software. Its a very lengthy list so will take a day or two .....

That's a good idea, I'm guessing that UPC would happy to receive it. Something that I'm sure a number of people here would be happy to contribute to.

I've an Horizon box and have to say it works very well overall. However, there's a lot of scope for changes to the UI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

MYOB wrote: »
    I was able to order over 1908, never phoned an 1890 number at any point.

+1 If I called someone in sales in any organisation and they told me to dial a 1890 number, I'd laugh at them and hang up.

Was never asked to call 1890 by UPC and have a Horizon box, not 100% happy with it but they have done surveys and have stated that certain deficiencies in the s/w will be sorted in 2014.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I think we need a serious campaign to force all phone companies to include 1890, 1850, 0818 and 076 (VoIP) in bundled minutes!

Advertisement