Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Ships in with Wind Turbines

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

I agree however would hate to live near one especially if I had to deal with light flicker and the noise...that is unless it was on my land!

both flicker and noise are red herrings with these machines.... flicker doesn't happen 99 per cent of the theoretical / possible time because 10+ factors must improbably occur simultaneously for it to be observed... and noise is not an issue with these modern gearless generators and any aerodynamic 'swoosh' noise is indistinguishable over & above the noise of the wind in your ears from a distance of 500m.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Jez but they are massive, spoils the view in that area, I dont like wind turbines, if you go to the prom and look at the hills behind the lighthouse there are lots of turbines there and no one can say they dont spoil that area

Doesn't look like there is a view in that area, just a hill covered in one off houses.
    If anything the turbines will improve the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

dloob wrote: »
    Doesn't look like there is a view in that area, just a hill covered in one off houses.

They won't improve the value of your house if you are near them. My friends in Furbo were lucky. An outcrop of rock prevents them from seeing the turbines from their garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

jkforde wrote: »
    both flicker and noise are red herrings with these machines.... flicker doesn't happen 99 per cent of the theoretical / possible time because 10+ factors must improbably occur simultaneously for it to be observed... and noise is not an issue with these modern gearless generators and any aerodynamic 'swoosh' noise is indistinguishable over & above the noise of the wind in your ears from a distance of 500m.
    Good to know. Didn't realise they had gotten far quieter. Have only stood close to old ones and there is some noise off them

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

you are obviously not familiar with the are at all. there is probably the best view of galway bay and the islands from the same spot that photo was taken in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

IMO the wind turbines do not spoil the view either of or from that spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

you are obviously not familiar with the are at all. there is probably the best view of galway bay and the islands from the same spot that photo was taken in

But then wouldn't I have my back to the turbines?

Totally agree. In most countries that bog road would be designated as a scenic tourist route.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭aaronosiochain

Jez but they are massive, spoils the view in that area, I dont like wind turbines, if you go to the prom and look at the hills behind the lighthouse there are lots of turbines there and no one can say they dont spoil that area

The one off housing actually looks a lot worse...IMO of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

It's also worth bearing in mind that the majority of views are man made anyway.
    Nice patchwork quilt of fields surrounded by dry stone walls for example.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The one off housing actually looks a lot worse...IMO of course
    Nothing wrong with a ribbon of houses..and a ribbon of wind turbines :D

But then wouldn't I have my back to the turbines?

not at all, unless that is what you decided to do! unless you have a very narrow field of vision you should see both.

It's also worth bearing in mind that the majority of views are man made anyway.
    Nice patchwork quilt of fields surrounded by dry stone walls for example.

thats being picky!

not at all, unless that is what you decided to do! unless you have a very narrow field of vision you should see both.

Perhaps we could supply people with blinkers so they don't notice the huge turbine behind them.

The Abis Belfast lost four cargo hatches in a storm on the way back home.
    http://www.doolincoastguard.com/category/blog#3016

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Putting them offshore would be ideal if it wasn't for the frequency of atlantic storms. I know this winter has been particularly bad but even an average winter would be too rough for offshore windfarms.

If it wasn't for the complete lack of forward thinking in planning in this country then maybe we wouldn't have so much ridiculous one off housing and we could just plonk thousands of these out in the countryside like they do in France and Germany and nobody would bat an eyelid.

Are those turbines spinning today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

snubbleste wrote: »
    Are those turbines spinning today?

they haven't been commissioned yet afaik but even if they were they proudly wouldn't be operation today, they automatically shut down and tether out of the wind with sustained gusts over 25m/s

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

jkforde wrote: »
    they haven't been commissioned yet afaik but even if they were they proudly wouldn't be operation today, they automatically shut down and tether out of the wind with sustained gusts over 25m/s
    I knew that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Two more ships in this week with turbines

http://www.galwayships.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lots of blades parked on the hardstand / fairground where the oiltanks used to be.

Two more ships in this week with turbines

http://www.galwayships.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2

I'm very interested in this issue but I find it very annoying when someone states that two more ships are in, and then gives a link that shows pics of 5 different ships!.
    Which are the new/latest ones?.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ching

The fehn courage arrived first this week with tower sections, then the Anna Maria sibum arrived with more tower sections and hubs. This boat is still there awaiting the loading if scrap metal..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm very interested in this issue but I find it very annoying when someone states that two more ships are in, and then gives a link that shows pics of 5 different ships!.

just a random guess ... the two at the top of the page, labelled "unloads cargo of wind turbines"?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

How dare the poster storm upload photos for people to view for free without spoon feeding me!

Bit harsh critism there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

As they are uploaded the latest ones are at the start, might add dates in future for you.:D

As they are uploaded the latest ones are at the start, might add dates in future for you.:D

Now that I know how it works there's no need for the dates:).

Thank you.

i think i'm growing to like these wind turbines!!

Advertisement