Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KK bennettsbridge river walk

Options
  • 19-12-2013 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

How long does it take to walk one way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Bowlardo wrote: »
    How long does it take to walk one way?

From which point? As in where exactly is your starting point

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

obezyana wrote: »

I've been looking for the logic in this, and I think I've found it:confused:

I takes longer to walk from Bennetsbridge to Kilkenny as its uphill (river flows downhill):D

hi5 wrote: »

I takes longer to walk from Bennetsbridge to Kilkenny as its uphill (river flows downhill):D

Em kilkenny doesn't have just one exact spot that one could start their walking from and the exact starting point can be the difference in 15/25mins but if someone was to walk from just say the motortax office to the bennetsbridge then it takes roughly an hour and a half at a slow to moderate pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

hi5 wrote: »

Em kilkenny doesn't have just one exact spot that one could start their walking from and the exact starting point can be the difference in 15/25mins but if someone was to walk from just say the motortax office to the bennetsbridge then it takes roughly an hour and a half at a slow to moderate pace.

To walk form the corner hous epub in the bridge to the shop on the dublin road(old knaggs shop) or tubs and tiles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Also some people start the walk on the River Walk below Ossory Bridge while other people start this route from Sion Road which would cut time off.

I did it from Ossory Bridge out and it took me just over an hour and a half. You've got a lot of stiles to climb over which can slow you down.

• Advertisement

ergonomics wrote: »
    Also some people start the walk on the River Walk below Ossory Bridge while other people start this route from Sion Road which would cut time off.

I did it from Ossory Bridge out and it took me just over an hour and a half. You've got a lot of stiles to climb over which can slow you down.

Yeah them styles are a pain in the ass i actually cycled that way before and it took me 45mins because of those styles :) regardless of that tho it was a lovely cycle.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    To walk form the corner hous epub in the bridge to the shop on the dublin road(old knaggs shop) or tubs and tiles
    It would take me about two hours from Bennetsbridge to Ossory Bridge which is about the same distance. Gorgeous walk:).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Wouldn't mind doing this. I take it this is the route

Did it from Graiguenamanagh down towards St.Mullins alright. Lovely walk

Wouldn't mind doing this. I take it this is the route

Did it from Graiguenamanagh down towards St.Mullins alright. Lovely walk
    Yea that's the route Stampy. Perfect way to walk off the turkey:D. Actually the Graignamanagh to St Mullins stretch is along by the R Barrow, not the Nore. The Nore and the Barrow meet a bit south of St Mullins.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Still not done this route, whats it like this time of year?
    Thinking of running it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

The boardwalk from KK to the ringroad can be VERY slippy, other than that it is a lovely walk.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Still not done this route, whats it like this time of year?
    Thinking of running it,
    It's a bit mucky in places and as conman says the boardwalk is really slippy so running might be a bit risky. There are a few spots where if you missed your footing you could slip into the river:eek:. Most of the walk is through fields so naturally this time of year it can be wet underfoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I did this a few times during the hot summer with my bf, and it took just under 2 hours. A lovely walk, just a pity about having to walk on the road for that one part. It's not very safe in my opinion.

Anyone know what state the river walk is in? Hoping to run / splash along it tomorrow...weather/flood permitting:(

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Anyone know what state the river walk is in? Hoping to run / splash along it tomorrow...weather/flood permitting:(

A large part of the path around Sheastown was flooded (this was a week ago, no idea what it's like now though probably worse) it would mean going 'off piste' through fields to get around.

pueblo wrote: »
    A large part of the path around Sheastown was flooded (this was a week ago, no idea what it's like now though probably worse) it would mean going 'off piste' through fields to get around.

Might leave it so, as much as I like the off road messing, my girlfriend would get fed up far too fast! Thanks for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

i'd say its a mess tbh...I run this regularly enough and after "normal" heavy rain it gets very sloppy, but passable - I wouldn't even try it now as its prob flooded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Had been avoiding the boardwalk of late due to heavy rain etc. the surface was dangerously sloppy with wet leaves and debris stuck to the boards.
    Got a pleasant surprise today when I discovered the council had cleaned up the entire boardwalk and put chicken wire down to give a grip under foot. I have seen this wire used on boardwalks in other parts of the country and it works brilliantly.

Well done to those responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

There are so many trees down/fences destroyed now on that walk from Kilkenny to Bennettsbridge, going to take a while to get it back in shape. The flood plains either side of the river are still saturated but draining.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

I ran 4m down an d 4m back starting at the Lacken steps yesterday - the trail is a bit sticky in places but in good shape - trail runners helped as its a bit slick/slippy after the floods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

I was on this walk this week, totally dry now, those metal grid style/bridges are not dog friendly at all...had to carry our dog over the ones with the fast flowing streams..and he gingerly walked two of the quiet ones...

My big bug with the walk is half way along the route, where the farmer has the electic fence, he has made the path so narrow, and right beside the river too...very easy to fall into the water and also easy to receive a shock from the fence,- human and dog-

one part is subsided into the river and you need to climb down and up the other side...the stile on one side of his land has the electic fence within the part that dogs have to go under...it's live...checked with a dry stick...
    On the other side he has barbed wire where the dog has to go under..

Apart from all that...it's a great walk...

Strange there's no cafe in bennetsbridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

there's one in Mosse's pottery place across the bridge......great scones!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Whereabouts exactly do you access this walk from the Bennettsbridge end?

Somewhere near the butchers I'm guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Whereabouts exactly do you access this walk from the Bennettsbridge end?

Somewhere near the butchers I'm guessing.

Yeah, there's a gate/steps beside butchers, you can't miss it when you're there, enjoy walk

Advertisement