Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll for Xbox One users - Do you still use the Kinect

Options
  • 19-12-2013 12:54pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hell all,
    I'd appreciate if only Xbox One users vote here please.

My question is simple - now that the Xbox One is out and we have been using it for close to a month, are you still using the Kinect?

I have to admit, after being very impressed by it initially, the novelty has completely worn off. I stopped using voice commands on the main screen and I don't use hand gestures.

So what about yourselves?

Do you still use the Kinect Functionality on Xbox One? 31 votes

Yes - I find it superior to using the controller to select the apps I want to use
    0% 0 votes
    No - I have reverted to using the controller to select the apps I want to use
    100% 31 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭trudub83

I use voice commands for snapping/unsnapping, recording clips and switching the console on and off.

I have turned voice commands off in game for FIFA14 though. That was a pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I use voice commands, never tried hand gestures

Getting a lot of use out of Xbox fitness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Yep - Voice commands are great, much quicker than controller in most cases.
    Hand gestures, not so much.
    Xbox Fitness really works - like it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭dor83

I still use the voice commands a lot for things like netflix or 4oD, it's just easier switching between things than going back to the home screen and also means I don't need to charge the controller as much. The only complaint I would have is that sometimes it stops listening too fast when I'm browsing trying to find something to watch, imo it should keep listening until I tell it to stop.
    I don't use hand gestures, find them a but annoying, is there a way to turn them off completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I use voice commands all the time but I never use the hand gestures. I am bringing my Xbox home for Christmas but I am thinking i'll leave the Kinect here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I use the voice commands all the time, and the hand gestures as well for the likes of netflix, rather than saying "next page" over and over again. The gestures take a bit of time to adapt to before you'll be able to use them relatively consistently (they also tend to be very hit and miss if you're not sitting directly in front of the kinect). the pushing to select motion is a bit awkward, it'd be better if you could simply close your fist twice (like double clicking).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

I voice command all the time :) brilliant , delighted it got added with the xbox one couldn't be any better then the ****ty 1st one

although hand gestures are abit all over the place but voicing is perfect :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Gestures are way to slow for selecting anything , fun in Dead Rising for shaking off zombies but it's still quicker to press b or x. Turned off voice in DR3 as there was little or no point to the commands or distracting a zombie with them. The head tracking in Battlefield was good for leaning but pointless for looking around in a vehicle as you had to look away from the screen , though I didn't play around with the sensitivity settings,

I use voice commands on the dash for switching to TV or muting the TV but it will not for the life of me recognise my accent for "xbox off" it never worked once, had some one else do it and it worked every time, every time I say it it thinks I want to pause something :mad:

I completely disabled the DVR as it was recording far too much rubbish in every game, might save the life of the harddrive, and my time deleting them. They really need some work on that. I don't think you can voice command it to record can you if you have it switched off????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

calex71 wrote: »
    it will not for the life of me recognise my accent for "xbox off" it never worked once

I was getting annoyed with it for days, then I realised it's "xbox, turn off"

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Gers_punto

Due to having a little boy and no where to place my kinect I dont even have it plugged in :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Gers_punto wrote: »
    Due to having a little boy and no where to place my kinect I dont even have it plugged in :(

Have the kid hold it /problem solved :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Mine lasted about 48hrs before I unplugged it, I tried using it with Forza 5 and BF4 but found it hindered more than it helped.
    As proof of how unfinished the X1 is I have to sign in every time I turn it on even though there's only one profile on there :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

Never really use it. Im sure if I used it alot I would be good with it but im actually faster with the controller then using the voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

I plugged it out after a week, the gimmick sort of wore off and i dont see the need for it at the moment. Still has great potential and im sure ill get a good bit of use out of it in the future. At the moment its a very handy paperweight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Yes, it's really fast and means the controller will hold a charge longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

I use it to Do simple things like power off or search for a film .

Handy When Playing Buddys in OZ in fifa, can have a full blown chat through it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Mine lasted about 48hrs before I unplugged it, I tried using it with Forza 5 and BF4 but found it hindered more than it helped.
    As proof of how unfinished the X1 is I have to sign in every time I turn it on even though there's only one profile on there :rolleyes:

Is there not an option to turn on auto sign in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

The Kinect signs me in automatically once I am in its view. Not sure if there is an auto sign in without the Kinect.

Can't remember if I set it to this or if it does it by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Nope, it really is annoying how much simple functionality the X1 lacks compared to the 360.

Advertisement