Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best replacement used car, another S40?

Options
  • 19-12-2013 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi lads,

So I had problems for the past 3 months with a '07 Volvo S40 diesel that I purchased from a dealer 6 months ago. They have finally agreed to a full refund, as they cannot fix the fault.

I now find myself without a car! My question is; would I be mad to get another S40? I absolutely loved the car, I loved driving it (except for the fault, which was intermittent); it came with full leather, heated seats, all the extras. I would find it very hard to find another make/model that came with a trim level as high for the price that S40's go for.

I would prefer to stay away from the Focus/Golf area, there are so many of them, and they just wouldn't.. excite me in any way!.

If you were in my shoes.. what second hand car, 2007-2009, diesel would you recommend? (I'd probably go for something after the new tax bands came in in 2008 for lower tax on the diesel).

I would really appreciate any suggestions! As I said, I'm currently car less, so I need to find something as soon as I can really.

Thanks again!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭buachailldana

Anyone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

So I had problems for the past 3 months with a '07 Volvo S40 diesel that I purchased from a dealer 6 months ago. They have finally agreed to a full refund, as they cannot fix the fault.

I now find myself without a car! My question is; would I be mad to get another S40? I absolutely loved the car, I loved driving it (except for the fault, which was intermittent); it came with full leather, heated seats, all the extras. I would find it very hard to find another make/model that came with a trim level as high for the price that S40's go for.

The Volvo S40's are a great car (I don't have one, missus does, 1.6D model)) and she has had an 08 then changed to a 10.

Would you consider getting an 08 upwards? They are fairly robust and don't give any issues from what I remember, easy on fuel and good to go.

Its just going to be hard to make a decision to go back to something similar after having a bad experience in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's much of a muchness really. Any second hand car has the potential to break your heart.

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's much of a muchness really. Any second hand car has the potential to break your heart.

Agreed, you just have to find one you like and take your chances unfortunately.

The Volvo S40's are a great car (I don't have one, missus does, 1.6D model)) and she has had an 08 then changed to a 10.

Would you consider getting an 08 upwards? They are fairly robust and don't give any issues from what I remember, easy on fuel and good to go.

Its just going to be hard to make a decision to go back to something similar after having a bad experience in one.

I'd love to go back to an S40 again realistically, budget is probably no more than €9000, which is the problem of course.

As you say, it's a bit difficult to go back to the samemodel after having issues, but as others have said.. you can have issues with any second hand car I suppose!

Must look out for a 2008 S40 so. Thanks for the advice ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Look at going to the UK for one, they are relatively cheap over there. I'd also look at the 2.0d, more reliable than the 1.6d and only slightly less mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Would you consider a Skoda Octavia 1.9 Diesel, there are some nice ones, 08 & 09 with low mileage on Done Deal, prices form €7,500 to €9,500 - a least 2 are automatic, (just had a quick glance) with under 80 K miles. (Sorry I'm not able to provide a link)
    Skoda Octavia have a very good reputation and are good on juice 45 to 50 mpg, engine is VAG similar to Audi A4, Passat etc.
    Just something to consider.

M.

monseiur wrote: »
    Would you consider a Skoda Octavia 1.9 Diesel, there are some nice ones, 08 & 09 with low mileage on Done Deal, prices form €7,500 to €9,500 - a least 2 are automatic, (just had a quick glance) with under 80 K miles. (Sorry I'm not able to provide a link)
    Skoda Octavia have a very good reputation and are good on juice 45 to 50 mpg, engine is VAG similar to Audi A4, Passat etc.
    Just something to consider.

M.

Hi Monsieur,

Ya I looked at Octavias, definitely something I would consider! Badge makes no difference to me, I'm looking for a good driving experience, and extras if possible (which was what came with the Volvo).

I've had a look at Passats and Octavias, 07-08 diesels, prices are not too bad, my budget is probably max €9500.

Opinions on Passats also welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Bear in mind that the passat is a class bigger than the likes of the Octavia/S40, whether that bothers you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭sam22

why not look to the u.k. for an ex fleet hire Volvo s40 r design, it may have high mileage but most fleet cars will have full dealer service history, and you will get a 08 r design for 8 to 8500 vrt paid if you do your own leg work

• Advertisement

sam22 wrote: »
    why not look to the u.k. for an ex fleet hire Volvo s40 r design, it may have high mileage but most fleet cars will have full dealer service history, and you will get a 08 r design for 8 to 8500 vrt paid if you do your own leg work

Not a bad idea at all Sam, of course the high mileage thing would put me off initially but as you say, if there is a full dealer service history.. And the R design would be nice!

Where is the best place to look for UK cars for import? I of course could Google this, but I'm hoping there someone can let me know the best place to begin looking, rather than me looking in the wrong place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭monseiur

Have a look at Autotrader UK they have a good selection both private sales and garages, also Car Giant.co.uk they are based at 45 Hythe Rd., London so not too far away from any of the main airports. There are loads of others like Motorpoint.co.uk etc. etc.
    M.

Main dealers will also move on some of the fleet cars.

Check out Volvo Cars UK HERE.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭sam22

Autotrader.uk

Advertisement