Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 Remote Play discussion

Options
  • 19-12-2013 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

I'm curious about other people's experiences with the remote play on the PS4 with the PS VITA. I don't see it discussed much here. Are people actually using it? If so, is it working well for you?

For me personally it has been a revelation. I always thought the ability to play the Wii U without needing control of the TV was a great idea. Now that I've experienced it with the VITA I can see that Nintendo were spot on. It is a big selling point. I'd go as far as to say it is one of the very best things about the PS4. With only one TV in the house and a toddler roaming about I don't often get the chance to use the TV much for the PS4. Before I tried it out I really did not expect it to work all that well. My experiences with the PS3 and remote play was not all that inspiring. But so far it has been near flawless for me.

I have the PS4 connected via wifi (I tried out the powerline adapters but they gave me worse speeds than wifi) and I thought that would have a negative impact but it hasn't. I have yet to experience significant latency issues when using the VITA. Really the only complaint I would have are the missing triggers on the VITA compared to the DS4. I think Sony messed up by not adding more inputs to the new model VITA.

So far I have tried:

Contrast
    Played this to completion on the VITA and never once had an issue. I realise this isn't the most demanding game available to try but it suited the VITA well.

Battlefield 4
    I tried out some multiplayer while in bed last week and it worked just as well as if I were sitting in the same room as the PS4. Technically it worked very well but due to the small screen and lack of R2 and L2 buttons the game just doesn't play very well on the VITA. I must add I am terrible at the game anyway so maybe a better Battlefield player would do better than me on a VITA.

Need for Speed: Rivals
    This is the one game that I have noticed a few latency issues. It is not present all the time but every now and then I've noticed a bit of lag at crucial moments resulting in going off course. It is still perfectly playable and looks great on the VITA screen.

LEGO Marvel Heroes
    This is another game that I am playing exclusively via remote play. The controls map perfectly from the DS4 and the game just suits the small screen. It also suits the nature of a handheld in that you can just pick it up do little bit more to try to get to that 100% completion and then put it down again.

All in all I'm very happy with this amazing feature. It might even inspire me to pick up a Wii U in 2014.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Assassin's Creed IV is the game I use it most regularly with. Whether I feel a particular long visit to the porcelain throne is incoming or I am too lazy to make the journey to the living room on a Saturday morning, it has been utilised quite a lot. The game itself works perfectly with it, with little to no lag and the controls are generally good.

Maybe if the replace the back touch controls with a different system, it would work better. What about using the back touch as a switch? Like if you want L2 or R2 (these are now the primary buttons on PS4), just press the L and R buttons. If you want L1 and R1, touch the back pad as you press the shoulder buttons. I suppose it depends on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Agreed really looking forward to remote play come Christmas Day. Interested to see how Fifa plays??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Agreed really looking forward to remote play come Christmas Day. Interested to see how Fifa plays??

I mostly play FIFA remote play, only issue I have would be to be a able to config the sprint button to the shoulder trigger rather than top right rear touch.

I would not play multiplayer games remotely but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Can you assign the buttons on the vita. Would be nice to move the least used to the rear touchpad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Can you assign the buttons on the vita. Would be nice to move the least used to the rear touchpad

I think it depends on the game. I know that Battlefield 4 gives you a lot of different options when it comes to mapping functions to the VITA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

I'll just drop this here for you guys to look at. In case you didn't know it could be done.

Instruction set up here.

I have the same opinions with BF4. Not enough buttons on Vita, but with this! Oh Lawd.

Only issues i've had with remote play was when i went to a hotel in Waterford and tried to connect to my PS4 but it never could. I have it all setup on the PS4 to connect to Vita over Wi-Fi but it just said "The PS4 could not be found". I also tried in while i was in my friends house across town and still couldn't connect. Seems i can only find the PS4 when i'm at home.

Advertisement