Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water Problems

• 19-12-2013 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭

If this is the wrong forum please feel free to move it.

I live in North Dublin and have had an awful taste from my water - so we drink bottled water which is fine. Tastes better now though (seemingly less chemicals added in the winter - or more (can't remember which).

However, my daughter lives in the UK and when she is here has to shower in my mothers house (estate around the corner) as my water brings her out in a rash! She has no problem with it when we use it to cook just washing her hands and teeth.

Have been onto the Council Lab who gave me the official line of no law to cover washing water, sensitivity of people etc etc. However she has no problems with the water in my mums or sisters.

Could it have anything to do with my tank, pipes etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Dovies wrote: »
    If this is the wrong forum please feel free to move it.

I live in North Dublin and have had an awful taste from my water - so we drink bottled water which is fine. Tastes better now though (seemingly less chemicals added in the winter - or more (can't remember which).

However, my daughter lives in the UK and when she is here has to shower in my mothers house (estate around the corner) as my water brings her out in a rash! She has no problem with it when we use it to cook just washing her hands and teeth.

Have been onto the Council Lab who gave me the official line of no law to cover washing water, sensitivity of people etc etc. However she has no problems with the water in my mums or sisters.

Could it have anything to do with my tank, pipes etc?

Depending on the type of system that you have, the only thing that I can think of is that your expansion tank overflow may be piped into the water tank in the attic allowing inhibitor treated water into the washing water. It certainly should not be plumbed like this, but I came acorss one recentlu where the feed/expansion tank overflow was teed into the water tank overflow at a point where it could run either back into the water tank or out the overflow pipe as the tee was on a horizontal run of pipe.
    Hopefully some of the plumbers here might have other ideas also.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭bbbaldy

Your cold water tap in your kitchen should be plumbed directly from the mains and is the only water in a house that should be drunk due to it not being run through the house plumbing. If you are getting bad water from this tap and your shower I suspect that something is not plumbed correctly, as they should not mix.
    Check your attic tank for contaminants. I have found dead rats and bats in attic tanks. As the previous poster has said, a central heating overflow/expansion pipe to your domestic water tank is a big no no and can cause problems. Check for 2 pipes going to this tank. There should only be one from your hot water tank to the domestic water tank in the attic. If you have a non pressurised heating system you should have a smaller tank for the central heating with another overflow going to this. There could be many reasons for your problems, more info as to your plumbing/heating set up will help a diagnosis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Thanks folks. Its a rented house so have no idea about the plumbing etc. Will get my OH to check over Xmas and see!

Advertisement