Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas day dessert

Options
  • 19-12-2013 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some ideas for a nice dessert for Christmas day. Nothing too heavy! I am doing the traditional turkey and ham dinner and I'd just like something that's not.too filling for afterwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ms.Sunshine

Why not make a fresh fruit sponge cake if you do not want to have christmas pudding or cake?
    I am going to have a few mince pies and ginger bread men!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

Key Lime Pie - made my first one last week and it was yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

jinkybhoy wrote: »
    Key Lime Pie - made my first one last week and it was yummy.

I like that idea!
    I'll probably do either lemon meringue pie or lemon tart this year, other years I've done chocolate mousse, chocolate soufflé, chestnut and meringue roulade (very heavy after a big meal) etc - but something citrus-ey always seems to hit the spot on Christmas day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

That sounds like a meal in itself! Definitely one to try though, cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

That sounds fab! Might give it a go :) or if I'm not feeling that adventurous I might go with a fresh fruit sponge either :)
    Thanks for the suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Irish Whiskey :D

We normally have Oxford Lunch.

I like cooking but was my first ever dessert and if i do say so myself it was a success - not that heavy - just have a small slice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

What about meringues? The Meringue Girls have a recipe for chocolate, honeycomb and salted peanut ones, I've made them a few times - delicious!

I saw this Nigella recipe last night which looks amazing! http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/italian-christmas-pudding-cake

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

How about http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/recipes/2011/1014/2893-festive-christmas-trifle/ I use shop bought custard it's less hastle I don't like the standard trifle I just buy the frozen fruits in aldi and use this I don't include the cranberries and I serve in nice individual glasses.i have to make this every year. Or else you could make mini lemon meringue pies it's a donal skehan recipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

I'm making a chocolate and hazelnut mousse. It's delicious and easy to make. Not too heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Pang wrote: »
    I'm making a chocolate and hazelnut mousse. It's delicious and easy to make. Not too heavy.

Sounds yummy! Recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Recipe is from Easy Food Magazine.

75g dark chocolate
    2 egg yolks
    2 egg whites
    25g butter
    2tbsp caster sugar
    40g chopped hazelnuts

1. Melt choc. Mix in egg yolks and melted butter.
    2. Whisk 2 egg whites until stiff. Whisk in caster sugar until the whites are shiny.
    3. Fold the mixtures together. Add in chopped hazelnuts. Divide between serving glasses etc and chill.

This recipe makes four portions. So you could double the ingredients to make more easily.

Advertisement