Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Dunnes Falsely Advertising Turkeys for 12.99

Options
  • 19-12-2013 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I went to my local Dunnes to buy one of the Turkey's currently advertised on special offer at 12.99, part of their 12 days of Christmas campaign, but the manager told me they didn't get any in, they're only available in the bigger stores.

They even had the Turkey promotional posters in the window.

Now, I didn't see that stipulation anywhere, neither on flyers or on tv advertisement's.

I'm still annoyed and wound up after my discussion with the manager, but could anyone suggest how could I take this further please?

Would I go to the Ombudsman or where?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Contact Dunnes Head office and complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Is it really worth it for a €13 turkey? By the time the whole saga finishes Christmas will be well over (and probably close on us again)

Dunnes as a company is selling turkeys for €12.99, it doesn't have to say exactly which stores will be getting them in afaik

Big stores are normally the ones to get the really good deals anyway - as more ppl will be passing through them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi All

I went to my local Dunnes to buy one of the Turkey's currently advertised on special offer at 12.99, part of their 12 days of Christmas campaign, but the manager told me they didn't get any in, they're only available in the bigger stores.

They even had the Turkey promotional posters in the window.

Now, I didn't see that stipulation anywhere, neither on flyers or on tv advertisement's.

I'm still annoyed and wound up after my discussion with the manager, but could anyone suggest how could I take this further please?

Would I go to the Ombudsman or where?

Thanks in advance.

Which Ombudsman would that be? I'm honestly curious.

Was the poster just for the turkey offer or was it a load of offers [some only available in certain stores]?
    Did that Dunnes partake in any of the offers?

OT - I'd NEVER purchase a turkey for €12.99. Far to cheap to be quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

its not false advertising if they are offering them in some stores. Id agree with the last poster though its OT

a 12.99 turkey cant be of good quality. So look on it as a good thing !

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

D3PO wrote: »
    its not false advertising if they are offering them in some stores. Id agree with the last poster though its OT

Dunnes stores buy their turkeys from a certain farm and sell them at a huge loss to get customers in the doors. I know this from a relative working at the turkey farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Is it really worth it for a €13 turkey? By the time the whole saga finishes Christmas will be well over (and probably close on us again)

Dunnes as a company is selling turkeys for €12.99, it doesn't have to say exactly which stores will be getting them in afaik

Big stores are normally the ones to get the really good deals anyway - as more ppl will be passing through them

Ok, that's interesting, I thought for some reason they had to state if there was a store not included in the deal.

Yes you're right for 12.99 it's a lot of fuss, but I'm so annoyed I can't even put it into words.

I drove for 30 mins to get there, battled for parking, paid for parking, worked out my shopping list for Dunnes (I prefer Lidl's) and then no stupid Turkey after all that.

That particular store has done that a few times now, so I'm fed up.

Paulw wrote: »
    Contact Dunnes Head office and complain.

I don't really think they'll care.
    I really don't want anything to do with Dunnes again I'm hoping for some other way. But I might just do that.

RangeR wrote: »

Was the poster just for the turkey offer or was it a load of offers [some only available in certain stores]?

I don't know which ombudsman, I'm assuming there's an ombudsman for consumer affairs or something. Maybe not!!
    But from the posters here, it looks like Dunnes didn't do anything wrong.
    So I'm goosed.

D3PO wrote: »

Ok, so it's not false advertising. Fair enough.
    But I couldn't comment on the quality of the Turkey as I never got to see it.
    Anyway, that's not my point, but thanks for comment.

Dunnes stores buy their turkeys from a certain farm and sell them at a huge loss to get customers in the doors. I know this from a relative working at the turkey farm.

Thanks for your input.

• Advertisement

So I'm goosed.

Turkeyed?

Not 100% sure I definitely recall the Turkey offer on the poster but there could have been some of the other offer's also.

I don't know if they partook in the other offers, I only went in to try to buy this offer.

Not 100% sure I definitely recall the Turkey offer on the poster but there could have been some of the other offer's also.

I don't know if they partook in the other offers, I only went in to try to buy this offer.

My point being, if they didn't partake in ANY of the offers in the poster, you might have a case misleading [not really false] advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

By that logic all these sub 10cent pineapples & sprouts & carrots must be horrific.

Even if not below cost I imagine it is feasible to sell at that price. You can get turkey mince cheaper than chicken mince, and turkey breasts are about the same price per kilo all year around. Some people find these cheap chickens acceptable, so I imagine many would not mind cheap turkeys.

There is info on ads here
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/advertising_standards_authority_for_ireland.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

That would be the "Turkey Offer Ombudsman" :pac:

My guess is that this offer/poster had small print on it that stated "subject to availability or something to that affect, they generally do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

That particular store has done that a few times now, so I'm fed up.
    Yet you still go back? Just out of interest, How far away is your nearest Lidl? and don't they usually have ample free parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK posters - enough turkey jokes (can't believe I said that!). Stick to the topic

dudara

My point being, if they didn't partake in ANY of the offers in the poster, you might have a case misleading [not really false] advertising.

Yes, I get your point, but I can't recall.
    I've asked some friends and family but they didn't go to try and get it.

rubadub wrote: »
    By that logic all these sub 10cent pineapples & sprouts & carrots must be horrific.

Even if not below cost I imagine it is feasible to sell at that price. You can get turkey mince cheaper than chicken mince, and turkey breasts are about the same price per kilo all year around. Some people find these cheap chickens acceptable, so I imagine many would not mind cheap turkeys.

There is info on ads here
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/advertising_standards_authority_for_ireland.html

Thank you for that link.
    I'm going to email and see if they think there's anything that can be done.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Yet you still go back? Just out of interest, How far away is your nearest Lidl? and don't they usually have ample free parking?

Yes, I'm stupid, I went back.
    I tried phoning before I left but no answer.
    Yes lidl have free parking but I was going to Dunnes especially to look at the Turkey offer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement