Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smow Tyres

• 19-12-2013 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭

One flurry doesnt mean it is going to be a snowy winter, but I was thinking about getting the snow tyres put back on.

Places seem to be charging 20 euro plus to do the job (2 tyres) Am I a miser or is there somewhere cheaper (Letterkenny area)?

Do they really need balanced again, or is it enough just to stick them on the rims. Seems steep to fork out 20+ now, and 20+ later to get the other tyres put back on.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,434 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

seems about right and they will definitley need re-balancing (just buy spare rims lidl were doing a wheel stand a couple of years ago nine are racked on that - unfortunately on the wrong rims cos i just chnaged the car !)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I got mine in Stranolar last year. Took in my own pair of steel rims, sourced from a breakers, think the tyres were 50-60 each, included fitting to the rims and balancing, have them sitting in the garage, ready to go on the car if need be.

PS. Its winters you would probably be using/getting. Snow tyres have the holes in them so you can place studs in them, which are not legal for use on main/public roads AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

Using Nokian WRD2's now with a number if years. I put them on in October, and get the full year out of them(at least 18,000 mikes) to be honest it's much easier than switching them, and we have brand new ones each time heading into winter. They only cost about £10 more thanordinary tyres, so just as cicost effective. Can be got for a song on the internet during the summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Forgive my confusion, but do snow tires have little stud like protrusions on them? And if so, are they legal to drive on main/snowless roads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,434 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Putin wrote: »
    Forgive my confusion, but do snow tires have little stud like protrusions on them? And if so, are they legal to drive on main/snowless roads?

most people confuse winter tyres with snow tyres, winter Tyres are softer rubber and Winter tyres will give you grip and maximum traction on wet, snowy or icy roads at temperatures below 7 degrees Celsius. The special sipes provide excellent traction on snowy surfaces, ‘gripping’ into the snow.

you can get tyres which have holes in \them but you normally have to get studs fitted no idea if they are legal but you would rarely get conditions here to use them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Technique

most people confuse winter tyres with snow tyres, winter Tyres are softer rubber and Winter tyres will give you grip and maximum traction on wet, snowy or icy roads at temperatures below 7 degrees Celsius. The special sipes provide excellent traction on snowy surfaces, ‘gripping’ into the snow.

you can get tyres which have holes in \them but you normally have to get studs fitted no idea if they are legal but you would rarely get conditions here to use them

It's amazing how few tyre dealers in Donegal know the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Cheers, I think I read ages ago that driving with studs fitted is not allowed here. I got tyres last year from a dealer and asked for ones that could handle snow. Some of the sipes looked extra big so I might have the right ones then.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭jmark

Thanks everyone - and thanks for the correction too - I did mean winter tyres.

Anyhow got them fitted, all ready to face whatever comes (the front tyres needed replaced anyway.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Most Winter tyres will have this symbol on them.

http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/www/tyres_uk_en/themes/car-tyres/winter-tyres/markings/markings_en.html

If yours doesn't, then chances are they're not winter tyres.

Advertisement